GTX460 Reviews

96redformula

2[H]4U
Last edited by a moderator:
Great Job nvidia on fixing the heat/power problems they had with GTX470/480
B-b-b-b-b-b-but Charlie said that wasn't possible. I mean, who looks like an idiot now? :p

Anyways, finally something more important: how it compares to the HD 5850. The HD 5850 is sometimes up to 20% faster, but in many of the benchmarks, performance is pretty close. The HD 5850 also has a slightly better performance/W, but it's fairly close overall. That's pretty impressive for a $220 card (Palit Sonic 1GB slightly o/c at newegg is that price).

cutting down CUDA core can lower the temp and power consumption pretty easy.

why would same architecture require more power and generate more heat when its less powerful? simple as that.

this thing does not impress me at all, I would be impress if they somehow manage to get 480 to what 5870 is doing.

btw, its "tomhardware"

I hella laugh when I see 5770 and 5830 is beating 5850 in certain games on their graph..

are those even legit or they just bullshit those number up? LMAO...

Last edited:
Man I can get over how impressive those numbers are for $200! ]

The 256 bit card is beating the 5850 in some of those!

What pisses me off is that these cards will be $250+ by the time I dig up enough cash. Dammit! No way they stay at $200 once these benchmarks start getting out more.

Sadly a waste of time for me the only upgrade I'm interested is a revision of the GTX480 minus all the issues.

Hot damn, that's one exciting card! Nvidia is playing hardball, pricing this below the 5830, while coming perilously close to the 5850 in performance. The power consumption numbers are nothing short of impressive! This is exciting for me because I'm looking to upgrade my 4850, and this card is exactly the same price I paid, and uses the exact same amount of power (and at 8.25" long, it's actually shorter, so it will fit in my case).

If ATI doesn't drop the 5830 to $175 and the 5850 to $250 by next week, they're going to be quickly forgotten in the midrange.

yup I think ati has enjoyed above retail pricing for quite a while now, and something they could just sit back and collect on thanks to nvidia, and now if they don't react to this then it is going to be their loss. I hope they drop the 5850 to 240'sh and call it a done deal.

cutting down CUDA core can lower the temp and power consumption pretty easy.

why would same architecture require more power and generate more heat when its less powerful? simple as that.

this thing does not impress me at all, I would be impress if they somehow manage to get 480 to what 5870 is doing.

btw, its "tomhardware"

I hella laugh when I see 5770 and 5830 is beating 5850 in certain games on their graph..

are those even legit or they just bullshit those number up? LMAO...

Actually it is Tom's Hardware ;). The 480 already beats the 5870 handily, and now the 460 is a good performer compared to the 5850 at a lot lower price, while trouncing the 5830 and overclocking like mad to come close to the 470 ;). One hell of a card, I've gotta say :eek:.

Hmm 5830 is trouncing it in quite a few toms tests but its showing better in the early reviews. Close enough to warrant getting over a 5830 right now tho.

5830 price drop very likely soon in my opinion.

Finally something that is not crap from Nvidia but they are a little too late. Southern Islands is coming in 3-4 months.

Yeah, these 3 480s really suck. Guess I should just throw them away. Yanking then out now, hold on...

This is expensive technology to put into your home. That may or may not hold value for you, but make no mistake about it...NV Surround gaming with GTX 480 SLI will give you the best gaming experience you have ever had.
http://hardocp.com/article/2010/06/29/nvidia_3d_vision_surround_experience/5

Son of a bitch they're not crap! In the words of the immortal Rosanna Rosannadanna nevermind!:D

I think nVidia might have something waiting for AMD in 3 to 4 months as well.;)

Actually it is Tom's Hardware ;). The 480 already beats the 5870 handily, and now the 460 is a good performer compared to the 5850 at a lot lower price, while trouncing the 5830 and overclocking like mad to come close to the 470 ;). One hell of a card, I've gotta say :eek:.

480 didn't beat 5870 by much, cant tell a difference in gameplay beside Metro 2033 and benchmarks.

460 is a good performer, at least its a bit better than 5830, with OC, it will close up to a 470, which surprise me.

buying this card without OC would be stupid to me. looks like this is a good bargain here. but 5850 at the same time can reach 5870 stock speed, which its still a really good deal if you have the money for that.

I might buy a 460 for my new LAN party machine, will see in a month if there is actually any news on GTX 480 refresh. if there is, refresh that is...

480 didn't beat 5870 by much, cant tell a difference in gameplay beside Metro 2033 and benchmarks.

460 is a good performer, at least its a bit better than 5830, with OC, it will close up to a 470, which surprise me.

buying this card without OC would be stupid to me. looks like this is a good bargain here. but 5850 at the same time can reach 5870 stock speed, which its still a really good deal if you have the money for that.

I might buy a 460 for my new LAN party machine, will see in a month if there is actually any news on GTX 480 refresh. if there is, refresh that is...

GTX 480 with 256-series drivers is >>>>>>> 5870... heck, an overclocked GTX 460 1GB is about the same as a 5870: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4467159&postcount=45 and these things are designed to overclock like beasts ;). Heck, stock 460 1GB SLI is around as good as 5870 crossfire... http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4467007&postcount=171

Last edited:
i'll say it's about time... even though i'm an ATi fan I still like to see nVidia do well, keeps the seat under ATi hot, which bodes well for ALL OF US.

i'll say it's about time... even though i'm an ATi fan I still like to see nVidia do well, keeps the seat under ATi hot, which bodes well for ALL OF US.

Competition = good :). If ATI can come out with something that trumps this, it'll just push prices down for everything even further which is positive for all of us on this side of the consumer/gpu manufacturer fence ;).

Competition = good :). If ATI can come out with something that trumps this, it'll just push prices down for everything even further which is positive for all of us on this side of the consumer/gpu manufacturer fence ;).

They'll just price fix it with Nvidia to keep the prices high as usual.

There's certainly a lot of positive buzz about the card, but I'm thinking I might wait a little to make my decision. After looking at the market stagnate the past few months (a year?) in terms of availability and performance/dollar I'm thinking this could be the start of a rapid price drop period.

Jaded and skeptical as I am, I'm going to hope that all the price fixing talk is just that, talk. haha

Anand's review is up, with a detailed look at the architecture: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3809/nvidias-geforce-gtx-460-the-200-king

It's an interesting read and points to a more positive future for the (mainstream) Fermi architecture. Some of the changes from the GF100 are pretty significant. I wouldn't write off the GF106 and GF108 anymore based on what is known about the GF100. The "GTS 450" and "455" are coming next month, followed shortly by the budget GF108 cards.

The HD 5770 is really good card in its price range and it will be interesting to see how the "GTS 450/455" cards compare.

GTX 480 with 256-series drivers is >>>>>>> 5870... heck, an overclocked GTX 460 1GB is about the same as a 5870: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4467159&postcount=45 and these things are designed to overclock like beasts ;). Heck, stock 460 1GB SLI is around as good as 5870 crossfire... http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4467007&postcount=171

Don't really trust those canned benchmark, showed totally different than [H] is having.

In my experience, nVidia always have better number on benchmarking. That is why I buy cards just to test it myself half of the time.

Wow, these reviews are great. For gaming at 1680x1050, would the GTX460 be a nice upgrade from a GTX260 216, or should I wait a bit longer to see how ATI responds?

Any of these reviews focus on SLI performance? Because if it's as good as the 480's SLI performance, than SLI 460 1g may be the way to go.

Edit: Nevermind

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4467007&postcount=171

According to that, the regular clocked 460 in SLI performs crazy well for $450! I can only imagine what kind of performance we'll be seeing once some superclocked cards start hitting the shelves.

Last edited:
Don't really trust those canned benchmark, showed totally different than [H] is having.

In my experience, nVidia always have better number on benchmarking. That is why I buy cards just to test it myself half of the time.

In addition the 1GB 460 they are testing already has a huge overclock. So while it's cool to compare that to a stock clocked AMD offerings I would say it's slightly skewing the picture. However I still find the 460 to be a great card. Really offers some incredible #'s for the price and power/heat if you heavily overclock it. Really makes the 470 look like crap and the 480 seem like hardly worth the premium now.

i suggest you to check whole bench instead of cherry picked few occasions before drawing wrong conclusion ;)

Looks good, but more interesting would be what it does to prices a few months down the road.

Wow, these reviews are great. For gaming at 1680x1050, would the GTX460 be a nice upgrade from a GTX260 216, or should I wait a bit longer to see how ATI responds?

1. Yes. Significantly better.
2. You can... if you are willing to wait until the end of the year. Generally waiting is not worth it unless a new part is like 2 weeks away. I don't think that is the case here.

Back