GTX 780 Performance leak (probably fake...)

phinix

Gawd
It is probably fake, but did anyone see this slide on internet?
70-130% is a bit too much I guess for new generation card...?
..and why they called it 780, not 680?

We all remember that slide from Nvidia presentation where Kepler supposed to be around 2 times better than Fermi.
Would this mean that 70-130% better performance is possible?

Nvidia_GeForceGTX780.jpg

Last edited:
Unless the Y axis is actually a blown up fps chart, meaning it's only getting 2 more fps ;)

Be great if they were real, but I'm gonna vote on the side of fake. As for why 780 instead of 680. Well I'll answer with a question: Why 480 instead of 380? Wouldn't surprise me if Nvidia came out and called it an 880 or 980 or 1080. I mean after all if it has such a huge number increase over the previous generation that must mean it has OMGWTFBBQ level of performance over it, right guys?

What, the icon of the 15th century French noblemen didn't give it away?

Wait, what happened to the "gtx 680"? If true, NVidia marketing really has gone full retard with their naming ploys.

With those settings we are probably talking 10 fps to 20 fps = 2 x the performance.

Wait, what happened to the "gtx 680"? If true, NVidia marketing really has gone full retard with their naming ploys.
This happened back in the 8 series days. ;)

The chart is fake. I think you would gain more in the canned benchmark than any real game.

Why 480 instead of 380?

NVIDIA called it the GTX 480 because at the time of the GTX 280 they were using the 3XXX for their mobile parts. This was done to avoid confusion.

Playing along with this fake slide, NVIDIA would call it a GTX 780 because they used 680 for their motherboard chipsets when Intel still gave them licenses' to do so (680i I believe). Though to be fair they also had a 790i line of chipsets.

This 7XX naming could be right. They skipped 3XX and released 480s after 280s.
Chipset naming could be the case too.
Or, maybe Kepler GK104 will be 6XX and that top performance GK112 based card could be 780.
We have to wait and see...

Actually including a portrait of Kepler is more effort than the typical faker kiddie would put in, while it's something a brand management flack at a big company would do for a touch of class. Calling it a 7 series would bring it to model number parity with the new AMD parts, another marketing trick. Not saying it's real, just that those two things actually argue in its favor, not against it.

They had a motherboard named 680i. (evga 's first motherboard)

Some were good, and some sucked.

I would guess it left a bad taste, so they skipped it.
Also it's sort of like the XBox 360 and Playstation 3.......AMD will have the 78xx and 79xx series, and people will think the 79xx is better than something with a 680 on it.

Because the higher number is ALWAYS better.

Calling it a 7 series would bring it to model number parity with the new AMD parts, another marketing trick. Not saying it's real, just that those two things actually argue in its favor, not against it.

I can totally believe they would skip the 6xx and go 7xx for just that reason - they don't want to be selling GTX 680s when the competition is selling 7970s, they wouldn't want clueless buyers thinking the bigger number was better.

Yeah, the numerical switch certainly wouldn't be that crazy. They've done it before with both their branding and their drivers.
IMO, it might be time to drop the whole GeForce naming convention. I don't think it holds any weight with consumers (I always just hear people just say "Nvidia"), and it would allow them to truly launch something new. I don't forsee that with this set of cards, but maybe with the Windows 8 batch it might be a good idea.

NVIDIA called it the GTX 480 because at the time of the GTX 280 they were using the 3XXX for their mobile parts. This was done to avoid confusion.

Playing along with this fake slide, NVIDIA would call it a GTX 780 because they used 680 for their motherboard chipsets when Intel still gave them licenses' to do so (680i I believe). Though to be fair they also had a 790i line of chipsets.

That's a compelling reason in my mind. NVIDIA would be hard pressed to compell me into putting another "680" anything in my machine after the fiasco that was 680i SLI.

Isn't the 6XX the mobile generation anyway? It was annonced last week i think. ANyway just bring the thing already and i'll buy it LOL! :)

Fake slide, Also the new card should be GTX 680 not GTX 780. LOL The performance numbers may be close to accurate though. My forum famous crystal ball concurs ;)

NO. they could say it's official now the 6XX serie reserved only for mobile (M) division and those gpus are available.

you're seeing it right... 7XX series.

That slide was pretty funny. I needed a good laugh today. The 680 will come out when it needs to for it to compete with AMD and it will be as fast as it needs to be to compete. Because the next generation after it will have to be faster still, and so on. If they make too good of a card nobody will upgrade next time.

Hmmm, that actually looks like a POWER USAGE chart. :) 67 Billion transistors at 8.9Ghz, cooled by a 12" fan running on 220v/20A.

Seriously: I'm waiting for Kepler's REAL preview information.

Be great if they were real, but I'm gonna vote on the side of fake. As for why 780 instead of 680. Well I'll answer with a question: Why 480 instead of 380? Wouldn't surprise me if Nvidia came out and called it an 880 or 980 or 1080. I mean after all if it has such a huge number increase over the previous generation that must mean it has OMGWTFBBQ level of performance over it, right guys?

I can see it now:

"Introducing the Nvidia GeForce 1080GTX OMGWTFBBQSauce Edition!
Why 1080? Because it is THREE CIRCLES WORTH OF DEGREES!!! Yes! We turned around THRICE!
Why OMGWTFBBQSauce? Because this card can accelerate your games to OMG levels of AA, and you'll scream "WTF" when BBQSauce high frame rates and power consumption cause your computer to go nuclear!" :D

With the new AMD cards being outed this morning, it gives me more reason to hold out for Kepler. They aren't bad, but they're nothing special (feature-wise) either.

With the new AMD cards being outed this morning, it gives me more reason to hold out for Kepler. They aren't bad, but they're nothing special (feature-wise) either.

Agreed. Not too terribly impressed with 7970. Come on Nvidia - please announce something soon.

I can handle a Feb/March timeline no problem. I just don't want to get stuck hanging on until Summer, espeically if Kepler isn't some kind of performance monster. I'm hoping for at least 30% gain over the ATI 7000 cards. I don't think that's too crazy to expect.

Fake chart or not, I'm trying to decide whether to get a second 580 or wait for Kepler....?!?!?!

I'd believe the charts if this was the GK112 core due out early 2013 which essentially could be labeled the GTX 780.

I'd believe the charts if this was the GK112 core due out early 2013 which essentially could be labeled the GTX 780.

Haha, people really believe the bs rumor that the "780"/"680" (i.e. next flagship card past the 580) is going to be out in 2013 instead of 2012? Why doesn't this forum have an LMFAO icon, WHY!??!!!

Back