GTX 680 In Stock Thread

Not saying money is a problem, I can afford the extra $100, but I can't afford the extra 100 if the difference isn't meaningful enough to feel satisfied. It's more of a mental thing than anything. I guess what I'm saying is I want to know if the difference between the 680 and 670 is meaningful, meaningful to me is a 5 FPS average difference at least on a game like battlefield 3 at Ultra.

I can't speak for reference design GTX 670s, but a user over at OCN got his hands on a non-ref PCB Gigabyte GTX 670 and it was outscoring GTX 680s at stock speeds in 3D mark11. He was also able to OC the hell out of it reaching 1250mhz making it just as good as OC'd GTX 680s. Either way, tomorrow will be an interesting day :)

I can't speak for reference design GTX 670s, but a user over at OCN got his hands on a non-ref PCB Gigabyte GTX 670 and it was outscoring GTX 680s at stock speeds in 3D mark11. He was also able to OC the hell out of it reaching 1250mhz making it just as good as OC'd GTX 680s. Either way, tomorrow will be an interesting day :)
his card was factory oced and it also could hit higher boost speeds than a stock gtx680.

For sure, I'm itching to pull the trigger, because right now I'm running a GT 520 in my system after selling the 570, I had to apologize to my computer before I put that trash into it. I'm itching to buy a game. I'm probably just going to go for the 680, but it all depends on what the 670's look like tomorrow and whether or not a I see another 680 in stock and get an itchy trigger finger.

If you want a GTX 670, I'd sit on EVGA's store website at 9am EST (when they are likely to go on sale). I think you'll have more success there than fighting the crowd at Newegg. That's how I got my 680.

did you get a super clocked 680 or just a normal one to achieve those clocks in your sig?

I ordered my gtx680 from TigerDirect the morning of launch day, with an eta of 1-2 days like advertised. It shipped three week days later on Tuesday. I think they actually meant 1+2 days, lol. I wasn't thrilled, but it wasn't as bad as many people said it would be.

I ordered my gtx680 from TigerDirect the morning of launch day, with an eta of 1-2 days like advertised. It shipped three week days later on Tuesday. I think they actually meant 1+2 days, lol. I wasn't thrilled, but it wasn't as bad as many people said it would be.

Three weeks later when it says 1-2 days "isn't that bad" to you? :p

demand for gtx680 should go way way down since gtx670 is super similar, 100dollars cheaper and widely available.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Oh well. I got my card when I needed it, it got me the research paper I needed (when I needed it to since it was due on the 3rd), and that alone was worth the $100 price premium. But GTX 680 demand is going to tank with the arrival of the GTX 670. I doubt nVidia is going to hurt from that though.

Keep in mind on the 670 you will have to do an aggressive overclock and the card will run at 80C and near full fan speed to keep up with a stock 680. If you can OC the 680, it'll still beat the 670.

I don't think it's about beating, I think it's about the price difference for the performance difference. I just bought a 670, but if I had bought a 680 yesterday I probably would have felt a little guilty, but in the end, a 670 isn't guaranteed to clock to a 680. You just gotta look at it like you paid a little premium to get a card earlier that nearly stocks as good as the best 670 on released. And you got a full size card, which I think is nicer than the tiny 670 that I'm about to get in the mail tomorrow. If I bought a 680 three or so weeks ago, I wouldn't feel bad, but if I bought one yesterday or earlier this week I would definitely feel a little duped.

It is strange that they appear to be so close in performance, but when people start finding their particular 670 might not OC, they'll wish they had spent the additional $100.

And that is the big key here. People talking about the 670's believe that they are all going to hit 680 levels, but if these cards are anything like it has always been, it's going to be the luck of the draw whether or not you get a card that can overclock well or maybe even not at all. I think they are still both a good buy, the 670 is obviously better value, but it was like that with the 570 as well, it's all about whether you value the increase at an extra $100 or not. I think people with 680s are still happy about there purchases, the 670 doesn't all of a sudden make the 680 a bad card, just a little less performance per dollar.

I just realized that the GTX 690 clocks are equal to the GTX 670 clocks. I wonder if nVidia has to bin not only based off of SMX functionality but also clock speeds? GK104 chips that couldn't hit the clocks but were otherwise functional become GTX 690s, and GK104 chips that are missing 8 functional SMXs (but may or may not hit top clocks) become the GTX 670. Doug might be right that there will be no guarantee of 670 overclocking ability.

I agree with the above. I dont understand people going from a 680 to a 670. Overclocking is never going to be a sure thing. Then they try to sell the old 680 on the FS thread and its way above the price for a new one!

People are all in the glow of saving $100 and actually finding cards right now. We'll see how long that lasts when the truth sets in. ;-)

Especially since newegg charges a 15% restocking fee (if the 680 is even returnable -- many are sold as replacement only). That's $75 plus shipping.

Why would you sell a GTX 680 to get a card that if you overclock it to the max you'll reach stock GTX 680 speeds and in game performance. If you want the best, get the best. Then overclock the best ;)

Why would you sell a GTX 680 to get a card that if you overclock it to the max you'll reach stock GTX 680 speeds and in game performance. If you want the best, get the best. Then overclock the best ;)

This...I dont understand what people are doing selling their 680s. This is kind of blowing my mind. Overclocking is never a sure thing. It will be interesting to see what kind of overclocking the everyday person will get.

are people actually selling gtx 680 to get gtx 670? I have never had a card that clocked as high as these initial review samples. It just doesn't happen very often. Heck my friend has two gtx 680's and he said they don't get anywhere close in overclocking the reviews were taking about.

I think it is mostly people who wanted 680s but haven't been able to snag them bragging about how they are going to get exactly the same performance for $100 less. We'll see!!!

Not sure if this has been posted here yet, but this app made by a user at the evga forums is great for checking if a item (not just a gtx680) on newegg is in stock.

StatusEgg

Just bought the top ed. Check out those stock clocks. Well worth the extra over the 670 and hopes of overclocking.

Especially since newegg charges a 15% restocking fee (if the 680 is even returnable -- many are sold as replacement only). That's $75 plus shipping.

Under what conditions is that fee charged? Why not just make up a reason for RMAing it and say you're going with another card somewhere else.

I don't know about that I bought 2x EVGA 670 Superclock cards and according to the Anandtech review it is already pretty close to a 680, I don't think I would notice a 1-4 fps difference in most games. Also looking at the power numbers, the 670 uses about 30W less electricity at stock. Considering the main reason for upgrading from 580 GTX 3GB SLi was heat and power consumption, I might not even bother overclocking, considering how close it already is.

It is strange that they appear to be so close in performance, but when people start finding their particular 670 might not OC, they'll wish they had spent the additional $100.

Yeah, I got a GTX 580 to upgrade my 570 earlier this year, it was performing worse than my 570 so I returned it to newegg for a refund, it ended up costing me a $100 restocking fee (I got the 3 gb version). I think the whole restocking fee thing is pure crap though, but I also see why it is necessary at the same time.

Back