GTX 680 for $870 lol

striker444

Gawd
http://www.legitreviews.com/news/13082/

Looks like the Gigabyte GTX 680 Super OverClock WindForce 5X is going to be released soon at a whopping price of $870, not sure why anyone would think this is worth it, nice clocks but you mine as well get a 690 for $130 more. This takes up 3 slots too.

Lol what a joke. That card is probably noisy as hell with all those small fans too.

Who is going to buy this, even at $500 I'd take a reference design over it. Why would you pay extra for those shitty fans?

My 499 gtx 680 does good job at games. I don't think anyone would pay more than 600 for it.

Unless it comes with the voltage unlocked, I don't see anything special with that huge ass heatsink (Not that either case could make it worth $870 though, lol.). At 1.175v A custom cooler like that found on a Gigabyte OC or MSI Twin Frozr is sufficient.

My Asus DirectCU 2 temps only go up to 64c in BF3 or any other games.

Lol what a joke. That card is probably noisy as hell with all those small fans too.

That was my first thought. Gigantic, several tiny fans, $870...massive fail.

Plus, 1202 MHz boost? I can just about achieve that on my reference card with no modification whatsoever.

Unless these things can push 1400-1500 MHz on that cooler then it's totally useless.

For $870 you can buy a reference card plus a full watercooling setup. LOL

lol what a joke. Gigabyte should stick to mobos.

GigabyteGTX680SOC-2.jpg

voodoo5-6000.jpg

In fairness, the fans could run at a low speed and be quiet. However, that is still no excuse for the massive size and price of this thing.

Also, is it just me or does it look like one of those fans blocks one of the SLI connectors?

Yeah those fans are found in 1U PSUs and one will make your skin crawl 4 must be insane.

It is such a stupid idea, I wonder if it isn't just a joke by Gigabyte. They can't seriously be considering releasing such a monstrosity. Terrible specs, and there is no way in hell those fans are going to push any air at all through that cooler. It has to be fake.

I could probably get more airflow through that heatsink by farting into it rather than using 5 nanometer size fans.

funny, you're all jumping all over this being a bad design, and not one of you has a seen a review or actual information to say how fast the fans will spin.... maybe the price sucks, don't knock the design before it you can see it working.

Whoaaa. Is this USD?

Wow just looked at the article and it is indeed in USD. Doesn't even include 4gb ram

funny, you're all jumping all over this being a bad design, and not one of you has a seen a review or actual information to say how fast the fans will spin.... maybe the price sucks, don't knock the design before it you can see it working.

Smaller fans have to spin faster to match the airflow from a larger slower fan. Theres no way around that.

Smaller fans have to spin faster to match the airflow from a larger slower fan. Theres no way around that.

yes they do, IF they are spinning faster,

however, you're comparing different types of fans as well, and 5 small fans spinning at a low speed can produce almost no-audible noise and provide enough air flow over that gigantic heatsink on the card.

I'd be more impressed with a cooling set-up that doesn't dump the heat back into the case that also isn't a reference design.

however, you're comparing different types of fans as well, and 5 small fans spinning at a low speed can produce almost no-audible noise and provide enough air flow over that gigantic heatsink on the card.

No, they won't. There is a reason the computer world has moved to larger and larger fans - larger slow-spinning fans push more air at lower noise levels, and they benefit from having a much larger blade to hub ratio (look at the picture - 80% of those fans is hub). A 40mm fan like the ones pictured are terrible - they push almost no air, they spin faster, they have crappier bearings (not as a rule, I guess, but in practice) and the noise they do emit is much more high pitched and annoying. No one who has ever dealt with a motherboard with active 40mm fan cooling on north or south bridges would ever want to return to those days.

I would rather just get a watercooling setup going instead of a jumbo cooler. Probably about the same in cost considering I already have the pump , heater core and tubing.

I would rather just get a watercooling setup going instead of a jumbo cooler. Probably about the same in cost considering I already have the pump , heater core and tubing.

Chances are they will sell more of these because they don't require a separate loop to operate. Water-cooled editions aren't great unless they're a self-contained ready-to-go system. Even then...

There just isn't a way to make this a good idea. We have the gtx 670 coming that (no matter if the leaked stats are correct) will beat this handily in SLI for less money. We have the 690 for $130 dollars more that is also much more powerful. There is a different gigabyte and MSI cards with enhanced air cooling with other vendors on the way and they all cost hundreds of dollars less. There are water cooling options that will cool it just as well and quieter plus it doesn't even have 4 gigs of memory. There just isn't a niche that this card fills.

This card will drop to about 650 and some people will buy it because it is unique looking and rare, but I can't see it selling even in limited quantities at 850.

No, they can't. There is a reason the computer world has moved to larger and larger fans - larger slow-spinning fans push more air at lower noise levels, and they benefit from having a much larger blade to hub ratio. A 40mm fan like the ones pictured are terrible at moving air - they push almost no air, they spin faster, they have crappier bearings (not as a rule, I guess, but in practice) and the noise they do emit is much more high pitched and annoying. No one who has ever dealt with a motherboard with active 40mm fan cooling on north or south bridges would ever want to return to those days.

The fan on the 680 GTX is already a smaller fan(70mm?), though not a direct push/pull setup.

The surface area on the heatsink on this card looks to be massively larger than the reference design, so again, you won't need as much air flow from the fan to achieve the same temperatures.

My point is , 5 small fans, can produce a decent amount of air flow without being loud, I doubt GB is going to release a loud boutique card that costs 75% over a quieter reference design.

on the bearing issue, that's total BS, 99% of 1/2u racks use smaller fans, and those fan run 24/7 for years at some ridiculous RPM.

I expect some type of "TSMC" announcement soon that states production is up and prices wil start to settle down. I don't see how much longer these retailers can milk all the rich folk that can afford to pay this kind of money.

I like Gigabyte, but this is one epic fail. Ugly card and it takes up 3 slots, and its probably going to run loud at load. And the price? Don't even get me started with that.

On low speed they make no air thats why they run at 4000-6000 rpm - so their little 5mm throw blades can do somthing,

I expect some type of "TSMC" announcement soon that states production is up and prices wil start to settle down. I don't see how much longer these retailers can milk all the rich folk that can afford to pay this kind of money.

Easy to afford I got that in my wallet right now, usually carry $1000 since I do a lot of cash jobs, hard to justify - there's a difference.

If you didnt waste your money SB to IB you could buy a 670/680 ez pz. But it's still hard to justify to me since $215 graphics plays everything fine. plus I refuse to get raped by high margin products.

Last edited:
Easy to afford I got that in my wallet right now, usually carry $1000 since I do a lot of cash jobs, hard to justify - there's a difference.

If you didnt waste your money SB to IB you could buy a 670/680 ez pz. But it's still hard to justify to me since $215 graphics plays everything fine. plus I refuse to get raped by high margin products.

If you can't spend $450 on a video game card without flinching then you can't afford it.

Seems like NVIDIA has given up on selling mid range affordable high performance cards.

I paid $730. :D

I think them resellers actually think money grows on trees here in Europe.

You can't convert the price you paid in Euros or Sterling straight back to USD, the $499 in US is excluding taxes. For example in the UK VAT is 20%, and if you take that out of the £400 RRP then it works out as $530 which isn't too bad.

Back