GTX 580 suggestions

Good choice with the ASUS DCII. I think it offers the best non-refference cooling solution all of other 580's.

I got my Asus DCII yesterday at last. It was a little shaky installing 275.33 drivers because i was getting the error- update didnt install and i was getting BSOD's. I re-downloaded them, used driver sweeper, then it finally installed completely. It had nothing to do with having a previous installed ATI card cause i completely reformatted the hard drive, but its working great now and im loving it so far.

Im overclocking it now and so far this is what i reached:
Core Clock: 842
Shader Clock: 1684
Memory Clock: 2078
Core Voltage: 1088

Ive been playing Stalker with texture, shader mods and so far temps have stayed around 52C. Im going to install Furmark tonight and see what i can push it to.

Not really a fan of the design but I've heard good things about the card.

I'd go with the 580 DCII personally. If you have to space for a 3 slot card.

I do have room, I am currently running 6950's in crossfire, but am debating downgrading to a GTX580 since I already downgraded from eyefinity to a single 30". Figured I may be able to use some of the downgrade cash to also get me a 120GB SSD boot drive. Just trying to debate if a 580 will be enough, at least until the next gen cards come out.

Is the DCII worth the $50+ premium over the Galaxy? It appears to use better components, a pretty equal cooler and Asus has a better warranty, but $50 extra is a lot if performance and OC ability is about the same.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Update: Picked up a used ASUS RoG GTX 580 Matrix Platinum for a solid deal to try out. Will sell one unlocked 6950 and compare the 580 to the other unlocked 6950, keeping the 580 if the performance justifies the added cost.

Last edited:
Im so glad i switched back to Nvidia. Games have been running so smooth for me now, with no stuttering and flickering screen. Yeah id go with the Asus card you wont regret it.

Damnit! Should have waited another week and could've bought the Asus MATRIX GTX580 P/2DIS/1536MD5 for an extra $20 more.

Not sure how you feel about getting a B Stock Evga 580 GTX but they can be had with free shipping for 369$. I'm sure someone will chime in and point out all the negatives to back stock but I think there a few positives. Always a gamble though.

I have the matrix now and love it but might end up selling it as I am able to get a sweet deal on a GTX 590... just not sure if its worth the $75 difference..

I have the matrix now and love it but might end up selling it as I am able to get a sweet deal on a GTX 590... just not sure if its worth the $75 difference..

I wouldn't want the GTX 590. The clocks are gimped compared to the GTX 580. I'd rather have two GTX 580's and have my GPUs run at full speed. As I understand it you can't really reach GTX 580 speeds on the GTX 590 because the thermals are out of control at that point.

I wouldn't want the GTX 590. The clocks are gimped compared to the GTX 580. I'd rather have two GTX 580's and have my GPUs run at full speed. As I understand it you can't really reach GTX 580 speeds on the GTX 590 because the thermals are out of control at that point.
Or your VRMs explode.

Back