GTX 580 sli temps

homernoy

Limp Gawd
I have two GTX 580's, and though my Gigabyte X58 motherboard has three PCI-E slots, my case will only let me use the top two. That puts the two cards right next to each other. I have a Cosmos-s case and six fans. My second video card get's up to 86c (gpu-z) during Crysis/Warhead, and Metro 2033 (completely maxed).

My question is this. Is it safe to game for long periods at this temperature? Besides water cooling is there any tricks to cool the cards down a bit more? Thanks.

Yup 80s are not bad at all, those graphic cards can withstand a great deal of heat before being damaged, just how they are built.

You can use something like MSI Afterburner to adjust the fan curve. Chances are your fan is still running pretty low RPM even at that temperature. Did the same with my 6970s. On auto the GPU would get close to 100°C for the top card under extreme testing, and the fan would only be spinning up to about 50%. I'm not really comfortable with anything over ~75°C (even if they are designed to take it), so I customized my fan profile to achieve this.

that's fine. my max on one card is 86°C after 6h of GTA IV (max). idle ~45°C.

87 was with the default fan profile - but the things do tend to heat up the room. I am seriously considering going back to a case so that I can put some duct work in and run a tube over to the window to exhaust that heat directly outside.

You can use something like MSI Afterburner to adjust the fan curve. Chances are your fan is still running pretty low RPM even at that temperature. Did the same with my 6970s. On auto the GPU would get close to 100°C for the top card under extreme testing, and the fan would only be spinning up to about 50%. I'm not really comfortable with anything over ~75°C (even if they are designed to take it), so I customized my fan profile to achieve this.

Yeah I did this with mine initially before realising Afterburner only supports fan control on one of the cards, so it was a bit pointless :p

Yeah I did this with mine initially before realising Afterburner only supports fan control on one of the cards, so it was a bit pointless :p

If you disable ULPS (ATI power management), you will have full control of both cards in Afterburner.

Open regedit, ctrl-f "ulps", set EnableUlps_DEF to "0". Restart machine, reopen Afterburner.

Back