GTX 580 rumors

I don't think this has been posted yet: http://www.techpowerup.com/133114/GeForce-GTX-580-Expected-to-be-20-Faster-than-GeForce-GTX-480.html.

20% faster... how are they going to beat Cayman?

It's not 20% faster, no offense to you eddieck, but, at a certain point you need to stop reading rumors and apply common sense guys/gals. Okay I'll sum it up as short as possible. If you want 20% faster than GTX 480 buy a OC model. Like a Galaxy Super overclock model.

The GPU will have a bump in stream processors, (most likely 512 total)128 TMU's (more than double) and much faster memory and more than likely much higher clocks on the core and Stream Processors.

They can cripple the extra SP, disable more than half of the TMU's and clock the card down to a 480 oc model speeds to be 20% faster.

Fact is after the amazing debut of the 6000 series that we all just witnessed you can be sure nvidia will bring it. Usually their cards allow for a 25% or more overclock from stock frequency giving usually a very good boost in performance. Expect the GTX 580 to come out of the gate swinging. It will probably be clocked within 10% or less from its threshold. I've said before that I believe it will be 50%-60% faster than GTX 480 and it's possible it will easily be that or more depending on the rumors and how they translate to reality.

Assuming the 512SP/128TMU/2GB fixed memory controller paired with Super High speed GDDR 5 is accurate then a 50% improvement at a minimum should be expected if you apply a little common sense and a slight knowledge on architectures.

Last edited:
Fact is after the amazing debut of the 6000 series that we all just witnessed you can be sure nvidia will bring it. Usually their cards allow for a 25% or more overclock from stock frequency giving usually a very good boost in performance. Expect the GTX 580 to come out of the gate swinging. It will probably be clocked within 10% or less from its threshold. I've said before that I believe it will be 50%-60% faster than GTX 480 and it's possible it will easily be that or more depending on the rumors and how they translate to reality.

i have a hard time believing that nvidia would quickly be able to refine their design to fit the PCIe limit so quickly to come out swinging. If this is a paper launch (i'm leaning torwards a yes to this) when would the real launch be? Right now, my head is telling me "reminds me of last year but a bit better". Look how long it took them to release the 4xx series card. When it comes to nvidia, i'm taking a wait and see approach...

i have a hard time believing that nvidia would quickly be able to refine their design to fit the PCIe limit so quickly to come out swinging. If this is a paper launch (i'm leaning torwards a yes to this) when would the real launch be? Right now, my head is telling me "reminds me of last year but a bit better". Look how long it took them to release the 4xx series card. When it comes to nvidia, i'm taking a wait and see approach...

To be honest I cant speculate when the card is coming out, all rumors say december, some even go as far as early november. I've predicted early january. I as well as many others are aware of nvidia's track record with launches lately. I think they will under promise and over deliver this time, personally but I'm not giving them more credit than they deserve as I was gonna bite on a GTX 480 but after the delay and the fact that they had to cut it back I decided to wait for the reviews and have always wanted something better. Actually I usually tend to favor refreshes.

We all know that it's existed on a roadmap as far as 4+ months ago, perhaps nvidia is not quickly refining their architecture as it's also possible they have been working on this refresh for almost a year since the original fermi got delayed and they realized they had to cut back.

pff. wake me up when we actually NEED these super fast graphics card for games because as of now. a good old dx9 card STILL does the job. im yet to see many dx10 games LET ALONE dx11.

fucking console ports

pff. wake me up when we actually NEED these super fast graphics card for games because as of now. a good old dx9 card STILL does the job. im yet to see many dx10 games LET ALONE dx11.

fucking console ports
please stop posting the same nonsense in multiple threads. there are plenty of games that an old DX9 card cant handle at 1920. heck you cant even play Just Cause 2 on a DX9 card at all.

please stop posting the same nonsense in multiple threads. there are plenty of games that an old DX9 card cant handle at 1920. heck you cant even play Just Cause 2 on a DX9 card at all.

point is many games are console ports that can be run on a tom tom device.

point is it doesn't add anything to a discussion about future GPUs.....

yea it does. why buy a 6870 when a 4870 does the job? why buy a 580? 680? 780 if all us pc gamers are getting is dx9 console ports?

Games on my fucking android and ipod touch is begining to catch up a bit, graphically with these fucking console ports

For a few people, like most of us here, the extra image quality gained from enabling SSAA or 16xCSAA and TRSSAA is worth the price of more powerful hardware, even if a lot of games are console ports. Same goes for running 25x16 resolutions or triple monitor resolutions. Those are all things you just can't do as effectively on older GPUs.

yea it does. why buy a 6870 when a 4870 does the job? why buy a 580? 680? 780 if all us pc gamers are getting is dx9 console ports?

Yeah, and Windows 7 can run on a Pentium 2. So why bother with these i7s and Core 2s and all this new technology? After all, a Pentium 2 gets the job done.

For a few people, like most of us here, the extra image quality gained from enabling SSAA or 16xCSAA and TRSSAA is worth the price of more powerful hardware, even if a lot of games are console ports. Same goes for running 25x16 resolutions or triple monitor resolutions. Those are all things you just can't do as effectively on older GPUs.

SSAA FTW.

fucking console ports

Step 1: Upgrade your game library. Plenty of great games that are still fairly demanding.

Step 2: Upgrade your monitor. 1280x1024 is no longer high end or demanding. 5760x1200 requires quite a lot of grunt even for console ports and looks fucking amazing.

I am still waiting for a card to max out my 2560x1600, let alone when I decide to game on my other 2 monitors, or when I add 3 more. So no, cards aren't nowhere as fast enough. I have to look into 3x cards normally to even play on my 30' with all settings maxed out. Console ports and all. And even Half Life 2, which is quite old now, looks stunning fully maxed out on a 30'. Much better than most console games at 1080p. I have all consoles, a 1080p tv, but the computer is still easily the one for image fidelity. Consoles ease of use.

fucking console ports

point is many games are console ports that can be run on a tom tom device.

point is it doesn't add anything to a discussion about future GPUs.....

I agree with samurai1999 on this. Please stay on topic :)

Zarathustra[H];1036323265 said:
hehe, Didn't take long for that to get removed :p

Sometimes I wonder if they do this stuff on purpose to get people excited :p

Sometimes they do that in a lame attempt to rain on someone else's product launch.

Yeah, and Windows 7 can run on a Pentium 2. So why bother with these i7s and Core 2s and all this new technology? After all, a Pentium 2 gets the job done.

SSAA FTW.

lol win 7 cant run on a pentium 2. try encoding a simple 1gb file in less than a minute on a p2. try and watch a 720p video on a p2. try and run 2/3 flash websites on firefox.

Step 1: Upgrade your game library. Plenty of great games that are still fairly demanding.

Step 2: Upgrade your monitor. 1280x1024 is no longer high end or demanding. 5760x1200 requires quite a lot of grunt even for console ports and looks fucking amazing.

1. i play the latest games, f1 2010, bad company 2, PES, fallout new vegas and guess what. i get nearly 100 fps on all those games at 1080p res everything high even aa

2. upgrade my 1080p monitor? how many game in triple monitors? hardly any. mute point.

lol win 7 cant run on a pentium 2. try encoding a simple 1gb file in less than a minute on a p2. try and watch a 720p video on a p2. try and run 2/3 flash websites on firefox.
Sure it can.. no one claim it would be usable though.

1. i play the latest games, f1 2010, bad company 2, PES, fallout new vegas and guess what. i get nearly 100 fps on all those games at 1080p res everything high even aa

2. upgrade my 1080p monitor? how many game in triple monitors? hardly any. mute point.

One I find that hard to believe. And two you claimed no one needed it by saying

why buy a 6870 when a 4870 does the job? why buy a 580? 680? 780 if all us pc gamers are getting is dx9 console ports?

Fact is, there are enough people out there that do need the horsepower these cards provide to make it worth ATI and Nvidia's time to spend money marketing them. So the point is definitely not "mute.".

What setup do you have that gives you near 100 FPS at 1080P with everything on high including AA?

100 fps using an old card in BC 2 at highest settings with AA? now I know you are just full of crap because it takes a very fast quad and a modern high card to do that at 1920x1080. perhaps you should pull your head out of your butt and look at some of the benchmarks for games like Just Cause 2, Alien vs Predator, Metro 2033 and some others because framerates are still quite low on highest settings even with these new cards. these cards and other newer faster ones that come out are for those people that want to push the settings and get a good framerate in the 10 or so games that are demanding. if that doesn't apply to you then stop crapping in various threads about what is and isnt needed for others. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
K guys lets get back on topic.

So GTX 580 will more than likely be MORE than 20% faster than GTX 480 and..

GF114 may be a mainstream GPU offereing refreshes of GTX 460!!

And may be out by end of year or early Q1!!

http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/20588-geforce-„475“-is-gf114-based

Seems there is a chance the 6850/6870 may not be the fresh out of the oven Krispy Kreme donuts for that long

You heard it here ladies and gentlemen. :D

Last edited:
K guys lets get back on topic.

So GTX 580 will more than likely be MORE than 20% faster than GTX 480 and..

GF114 may be a mainstream GPU offereing refreshes of GTX 460!!

And may be out by end of year or early Q1!!

http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/20588-geforce-„475“-is-gf114-based

You heard it here ladies and gentlemen. :D

So it isnt coming out tell Q1 2011 while AMD's comes out in Q4 2010.

They are late again, Lets just hope it is that much better then AMD's so prices can go down even more.

So it isnt coming out tell Q1 2011 while AMD's comes out in Q4 2010.

They are late again, Lets just hope it is that much better then AMD's so prices can go down even more.

Yes their late again. However, to find a positive out of a negative. They were much later before. They seem to be shrinking the high end gap between both companies 1 month

AMD 6900 November
NV GTX580 December

The mainstream by 6 months

And AMD's 6800 series Oct
Nv GF114 mainstream Jan-March

So instead of being 6 months late they have a chance of being 1 month late to high end, 3 months late (or less) to mainstream and they are also supposed to have a low end refresh GF119 probably in Q1 also. There is also a chance the GF114 GPUs may make it out this year in late december too. Fudo thinks so but I don't think that is the case. Early January seems more likely now that nvidia's hand is forced due to serious competition from the 6000 series

Yes their late again. However, to find a positive out of a negative. They were much later before. They seem to be shrinking the high end gap between both companies 1 month

AMD 6900 November
NV GTX580 December

The mainstream by 6 months

And AMD's 6800 series Oct
Nv GF114 mainstream Jan-March

So instead of being 6 months late they have a chance of being 1 month late to high end, 3 months late (or less) to mainstream and they are also supposed to have a low end refresh GF119 probably in Q1 also.

You do realize is doesnt say any month they are coming out, either end of this year, or something of the begining of next year.

The thing is I heard this all before with Fermi, first it was last xmas, february.....Ill take this with a grain of salt, specially coming from Fudzilla.

At least Charlie is Semi-accurate, and yes he even bashed AMD/ATI today on his website!!!!! you would be proud!

You do realize is doesnt say any month they are coming out, either end of this year, or something of the begining of next year.

The thing is I heard this all before with Fermi, first it was last xmas, february.....Ill take this with a grain of salt, specially coming from Fudzilla.

At least Charlie is Semi-accurate, and yes he even bashed AMD/ATI today on his website!!!!! you would be proud!

Well he says they can/might come out this year. So It's late october so if by late december that's 2 months shrinking the gap between mainstream between amd and nvidia launches by quite a bit.

Well he says they can/might come out this year. So It's late october so if by late december that's 2 months shrinking the gap between mainstream between amd and nvidia launches by quite a bit.

True, but again this is coming from Nvidia, Remember when the 5000 series came out, they had a huge press event about Fermi and saying it was coming out in DEc. This was also the Press event that had wood screws in a Video card.

Nvidia lost alot of credability when that happened, cause I was seriously interested in Fermi. I just didnt think it would take them 8-9 months after the 5000 series to bring anything competitive. And lets not even talk about how overpriced they were too laughs.

True, but again this is coming from Nvidia, Remember when the 5000 series came out, they had a huge press event about Fermi and saying it was coming out in DEc. This was also the Press event that had wood screws in a Video card.

Nvidia lost alot of credability when that happened, cause I was seriously interested in Fermi. I just didnt think it would take them 8-9 months after the 5000 series to bring anything competitive. And lets not even talk about how overpriced they were too laughs.

Valid points and 100% true. However dont you think that's all the more reason as to why they will get it right this time? Can they afford to fuck things up again. I think they have too much to prove to screw things up. If they pull what they pulled last year again the company will be finished.

They lost alot of credibility with me too but I think they learned their lesson after a very hard year. Time will tell

Valid points and 100% true. However dont you think that's all the more reason as to why they will get it right this time? Can they afford to fuck things up again. I think they have too much to prove to screw things up. If they pull what they pulled last year again the company will be finished.

They lost alot of credibility with me too but I think they learned their lesson after a very hard year. Time will tell

I guess only time will tell, come December, if nothing is coming out, well know you it was a bunch of Bullshit about the card coming out to try to damper the AMD 6000 series release.

Nvidia release dates are worthless. The card comes out when you can buy it at the store, and Nvidia is not the place to go to for a straight answer to that. If the card is going to launch this year it will launch before black friday.

Just got it working going through a proxy. I had tried firefox and IE with no luck for the last few days. wonder whats going on?

Just got it working going through a proxy. I had tried firefox and IE with no luck for the last few days. wonder whats going on?
Have you tried an alternate DNS like Google or OpenDNS? If it's the site itself, check any ad blockers or your hosts file to make sure it's not part of it.

I just configured opendns and the site is working. I had to reset my router a few months ago and never bothered to set opendns back up at the time. stupid frontier fios.

thanks everyone, sorry for taking this off topic.

Nvidia release dates are worthless. The card comes out when you can buy it at the store, and Nvidia is not the place to go to for a straight answer to that. If the card is going to launch this year it will launch before black friday.

THIS.

if either the 580 or 560 get launched by the end of the year, i see them being extremely limited quantity to the point of a paper launch IMHO

What setup do you have that gives you near 100 FPS at 1080P with everything on high including AA?

core i7 oc to 4ghz and a 480gtx. 6gb ram to boot too.

hardly any game i play struggle. why? because most are console ports.

who in here struggles to play bad company 2 or fallout new vegas? put your hands up if you do:rolleyes:

Are they resorting to rushing out cards now? (sigh) I think they need to focus on their next series, as opposed to putting out some short term cards in order to compete with the 68xx series; cause, chances are, AMD will do the exact same thing.

I see your point but ... such is the nature of competition. AMD is forcing their hand as they are VERY competitive this generation. Perhaps they are not rushing things out as the rumors seem to think these chips are done. They may have been being worked on for some time. Maybe they didn't plan on releasing them this year but are they to take a kick in the nuts from AMD without a answer. Whatever happens know that you have a choice. As a consumer noone will blame you for switching camps. It's not about loyalty to nv or amd but loyalty to your wallet. AMD may not sit at the top for too much longer but why should that bother anyone.. they have that same choice. (L.E. kisses wallet);)

Oh and I dont know shit about these gpu's other than they are coming so before people start flaming me for trying to spread that they will perform better as a fact before I know I wanted to add this little disclaimer.

Back