GTX 580, 570, 560 & 460 Temperatures

isai95

Limp Gawd
They go from 97c to 104c. That is very hot. That's water boiling point! These video cards can be used as heaters during a cold night. Are there any cards that have similar performance but without that enormous heat? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
tempuratures have not a lot to do with heat, at least compared to the cooler design and ambient temps.

tempuratures have not a lot to do with heat, at least compared to the cooler design and ambient temps.

I meant hight temperatures in the 100 degrees C. Here in California my house ambient temperature is between 70 ~ 80 F. I don't know how hot one of those GPUs would get in my house. Perhaps I'd have to have my AC @ 60 ~ 62 F for the GPU to work cooler.

Temperature is a measure of the average heat or thermal energy of the particles in a substance. Since it is an average measurement, it does not depend on the number of particles in an object. In that sense it does not depend on the size of it. For example, the temperature of a small cup of boiling water is the same as the temperature of a large pot of boiling water. Even if the large pot is much bigger than the cup and has millions and millions more water molecules.

All of the cards named in the title do heat up under load, but not extraordinarily so. The 460 and 560 reference designs get up to the low to mid 70 *C range under load, the 570 and 580 get up to the low to mid 80 *C range. They're perfectly fine.

Since you seem to value low heat output, be wary of the 465, 470, and 480. Their coolers do not cope with their heat outputs well, and the GF100 core is not as efficient as GF110 is, so they get pretty hot and noisy under load.

I meant hight temperatures in the 100 degrees C. Here in California my house ambient temperature is between 70 ~ 80 F. I don't know how hot one of those GPUs would get in my house. Perhaps I'd have to have my AC @ 60 ~ 62 F for the GPU to work cooler.

Temperature is a measure of the average heat or thermal energy of the particles in a substance. Since it is an average measurement, it does not depend on the number of particles in an object. In that sense it does not depend on the size of it. For example, the temperature of a small cup of boiling water is the same as the temperature of a large pot of boiling water. Even if the large pot is much bigger than the cup and has millions and millions more water molecules.

You are not fully understanding this. Temperature and Heat are two different things. Do you want a card that runs at lower temperature or one that produces less heat at load?

My 570's used to get to 87/99 degrees. Now they top out at around 72/88 degrees and I've been able to push my OC way further. AC X+'s rock.
Oh, and this box is virtually SILENT now. Friggin' ROCKS.

Last edited:
You are not fully understanding this. Temperature and Heat are two different things. Do you want a card that runs at lower temperature or one that produces less heat at load?

I want a card that runs at lower temperature and that produces less heat at load.

All of the cards named in the title do heat up under load, but not extraordinarily so. The 460 and 560 reference designs get up to the low to mid 70 *C range under load, the 570 and 580 get up to the low to mid 80 *C range. They're perfectly fine.

Since you seem to value low heat output, be wary of the 465, 470, and 480. Their coolers do not cope with their heat outputs well, and the GF100 core is not as efficient as GF110 is, so they get pretty hot and noisy under load.

That's what I think. One has to acomodate these cards with water cooling or a good AC. Thank you for your info.

To answer the question in the OP asking for other cards that perform well, I guess the real criteria you would be looking for is perf/watt.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_560_Twin_Frozr_II/24.html

The numbers speak for themselves.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out, that while the perf/watt differences between AMD and nVIDIA are significant figures, in real-world usage I doubt it would make a noticeable difference to the temperature of your PC room. While gaming the 560 uses ~20 watts more than the 6950 2GB, hardly anything really.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, as more and more transistors, more power, gets packed into chips they use more power. This generates more heat. A more important question: How reliable is the chip at normal operating temperature and how loud is the fan?

You could slap a big ass noisy fan on a GTX480 and have it run cooler than anything on the market. It would just sound like a jet turbine.

TDP matters more than overall temps, and has more to do with how much a gpu or cpu will heat up your case, and your house. The higher the TDP the more air is heated, whether the cooling on a chip lets it run at 60 degrees or 90. This is what XacTactX is getting at.

The modern gpus are designed to operate at fairly high temperatures, as long as they're stable, reliable and the fan isn't too loud I'm fine. I understand that for a faster card I'm going to dump more heat into my room.

Turn the fan speed up, job done. I could easily run my HD6970s in the 50s-low 60s. at load if I maxed the fan out.

I have my galaxy gf 560ti with the dual 90mm fan cooler oced at 1021mhz and 2344mhz ram with 1.15v and it idles at 39c and tops out at 86c with furmark. Card temp really depends on the cooler and the tdp of the card

Back