GTX 570 Step up to.. 660ti or 670?

vvilliamm

Gawd
Decided best choice was between Ref 670 vs 680.

Is the 100 dollar difference worth it to jump from 670 to 680 for performance?

I've been pretty depressed lately.. i cant sell my 2 months old gtx 570 for 200.. so my only option is to step up.

The reason why i wanted to sell it was because i wanted the gtx 670 ftw

Which video card should i step up to gtx 660ti 2g vs the ref 670?
I heard so many bad things about the reference 670 vs the ftw =/

If they had the gtx 660ti 3gb version step up i would grab it.. because 192 bit bus fits well for 3gb from what ive been told

Last edited:
I've been pretty depressed lately.. i cant sell my 2 months old gtx 570 for 200.. so my only option is to step up.

The reason why i wanted to sell it was because i wanted the gtx 670 ftw

Which video card should i step up to gtx 660ti 2g vs the ref 670?
I heard so many bad things about the reference 670 vs the ftw =/

If they had the gtx 660ti 3gb version step up i would grab it.. because 192 bit bus fits well for 3gb from what ive been told

How much does it cost with the step up to a ref GTX 670. Even if it costs a bit more I would advise to sell your GTX 570 and go for the GTX 670 FTW. the ref 680 PCB which the 670 FTW uses is a much better option. It has improved VRM circuitry compared to the cheap ref GTX 670 version. Also the GTX 670 FTW has the best chips binned . Most easily hit 1250 - 1300 Mhz.

You should of sold it a few months ago =) I bet you can get like 160.00 for it.

ah sounds like the best option is just to suck it up and get teh 660ti .. is it at least better than my 570?

I say go with the 660ti, reviews have been looking good and if you SLI them i bet they would be amazing.

ah sounds like the best option is just to suck it up and get teh 660ti .. is it at least better than my 570?

definitely much better than GTX 570. GTX 660 Ti benefits a lot from memory overclocking. So if you get one try to max out your memory overclocks. Running at 6.8 - 7.0 Ghz memory should reduce the bandwidth problem and let you clearly exploit the powerful GPU. A heavily overclocked GTX 660 Ti with core clocks at 1.25 Ghz and memory at 7 Ghz should get you close to GTX 670 performance as long as you are not still bandwidth limited. In games like Metro 2033, Crysis Warhead, Batman AC with 4x or 8x MSAA the GTX 660 Ti OC will just not be able to catch a GTX 670. If you run without AA and reduce bandwidth requirements you can close the gap with GTX 670 even in these games.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6159/the-geforce-gtx-660-ti-review/20

Last edited:
a gtx660 ti is not much of an upgrade at all especially if you have the gtx570 overclocked. a stock gtx660ti is only about 20-25% faster overall than a stock gtx570 and in some games it will only be about 15% faster with AA. heck in AvP its actually slower than the gtx570 on max settings with AA according to techspot. gtx670 is the very minimum you want to upgrade to coming from a gtx570.

Last edited:
agreed^

GTX660Ti is roughly equivalent to the GTX580 give or take a few frames. It's as much sense as dropping the GTX570 for a GTX580...

GTX670 would be the minimum upgrade

Step up to 660 Ti, receive 660 Ti, sell on Craigslist/eBay, buy 670 FTW that you wanted.

if you buy a 660ti i guarantee you will feel like you didnt get your moneys worth.

sometimes its better to spend a little extra when you are upgrading a piece that can last you a long time.

670 is a strong upgrade from a 570.. and you will be happy with the performance boost.

Buy what you want, I don't buy all this % worth. If you buy it and it plays your games like butter, than you win hands down. These options wouldn't be available if it didn't have a niche in the market.

if you buy a 660ti i guarantee you will feel like you didnt get your moneys worth.

sometimes its better to spend a little extra when you are upgrading a piece that can last you a long time.

670 is a strong upgrade from a 570.. and you will be happy with the performance boost.

Really? Video cards come out like new cell phones. Theres always something better coming out in 6-12 months. Trying to play catchup is very expensive when it comes to PC's because there will always be something better in the time frame given above. Essentially we all buy this stuff for the "moment" then we upgrade. Don't knock someone for buying a card you wouldn't "consider" an upgrade. If you have a budget, then stick to it. O/C the hell out of it and be happy until you can get the funds.:D

All I can say is I bought two GTX670 MSIs around the release and they are monsters. The Surround gaming is very good.

I run 1230 clocks in games all day long on air.
The fans are audible but not loud, the games are smooth as silk.

If you buy a 670 you will not be disappointed. The jump in performance and features is very good.

Really? Video cards come out like new cell phones. Theres always something better coming out in 6-12 months. Trying to play catchup is very expensive when it comes to PC's because there will always be something better in the time frame given above. Essentially we all buy this stuff for the "moment" then we upgrade. Don't knock someone for buying a card you wouldn't "consider" an upgrade. If you have a budget, then stick to it. O/C the hell out of it and be happy until you can get the funds.:D

im not knocking anything. he is trying to make a decision between a 660ti and a 670. and the 670 is the better choice all around when going from a 570.

and yeah theres always a better card and there always a bigger fish, but i can tell you i bought my 670 for 420$ and I will be a lot less tempted to play "catchup" next year when new cards are out because my 670 is a beast and when I SLI them they will be unstoppable. even next year and then some

the problem is ive heard so many bad things about the reference gtx 670 =/ but my only step up choices are reference 670 or 660ti 2gb

im not knocking anything. he is trying to make a decision between a 660ti and a 670. and the 670 is the better choice all around when going from a 570.

and yeah theres always a better card and there always a bigger fish, but i can tell you i bought my 670 for 420$ and I will be a lot less tempted to play "catchup" next year when new cards are out because my 670 is a beast and when I SLI them they will be unstoppable. even next year and then some

Definitely.

I also agree with the whole "catchup" thing. I have my Gigabyte GTX 670 OC WindForce 3 @ 1402mhz core/7220mhz memory, and am thinking towards not upgrading until a new architecture like Maxwell comes out at this point. It's obscenely fast, runs quietly, and handles my 2560x1600 gaming beautifully with eyecandy cranked.

For comparison, I briefly had two 660 Ti's and tested them in 3dmark11 (I know I know, synthetic, but it's good for a quick comparison). They got a score of X5750 @ 1241c/6610m in SLI and were noisy + running hot as hell (MSI OC editions) even when I added a lot of extra airflow. Average boost was ~1200-1220mhz during the bench & gameplay on TSW.

A single one of them scored, at 1241c/6610m (solid boost @ that since temps weren't an issue) X3061.

My GTX 670 WF3 OC scores this... (note that was before I had ensured 1402 was 24/7 stable, so it's at 1392 for the benches):

gb670biosgoldentigerfin.jpg

Just shy of X3900... and in games like The Secret World DX11, BF3, etc. it comes within spitting distance of the 660 Ti SLI for me. Granted, you're not likely to get a card that oc's to quite mine's level, but... get one that hits an average OC which is around 1200, 1220mhz, and you're still going to be in great shape compared to a single 660 Ti.

Last edited:
the problem is ive heard so many bad things about the reference gtx 670 =/ but my only step up choices are reference 670 or 660ti 2gb

I cannot speak to the eVGA 670 as I went with a non-reference ASUS 670.

I went from a 570 to a 670 and that is why I am making that suggestion because the performance leap was worth the cost. the jump to the 660ti just isn't worth it imo

i play games at 1080p. I love eye candy. i guess my only option is to sell the card at a lost.

it will cost me 35 -45 bucks to stepup to a 660ti.

Last edited:
Definitely.

My GTX 670 WF3 OC scores this... (note that was before I had ensured 1402 was 24/7 stable, so it's at 1392 for the benches):

i noticed how high the clocks are on every ones gigabyte 670.. insane. going with them next time for a card, they have the best overall cards no doubt.

i play games at 1080p. I love eye candy. i guess my only option is to sell the card at a lost.

it will cost me 35 -45 bucks to stepup to a 660ti.

Well, you're probably best off either stepping up to the 660ti then selling it for ~$250-270 on eBay/whatnot, and using the money towards a 670... or just doing the step-up and calling it a day, with the fairly low cost of doing so, and saving up towards whatever the next generation of cards ends up being assuming the 660ti works for you now. Selling your 570 right now to go to a 670 would run you a lot, ~$200-250 after the sale (lower end of that if you count the borderlands 2 coupon included with 6xx cards at the moment as "cash" somewhat either selling it or because you wanted the game). At that point it's a significant cost difference and only you can decide on that.

Since you're looking for advice though, I'd say to call it a day where I mentioned :).

I guess if your purely into numbers and that is what does it for you then so be it. I like gaming without the obvious framerate crapping and I built my PC with crossfire 6950's last year and everyone said the same thing. You wasting your money on 6950's its only worth it to have 6970's overclocked or a 6990. I crash BF3 everyday i play it and my Gigabyte 1g cards don't even have to be OC'd. To me if the game looks smooth and great then i don't care. Like i said when Crisis 3 comes out I garuntee the Video Card market will being making a ton of money and everyone will be looking for 690 and 7990's in CXFIRE/SLI just to get decent frame rates. Anything less will be looked down upon and the lower cards will be selling like hotcakes.

but the problem is ive heard so many people telling me that the ref 670 compared to the ftw is.. depressing.

but the problem is ive heard so many people telling me that the ref 670 compared to the ftw is.. depressing.

Thats because theres always something better. They make each of these cards based on the many types of budgets that gamers have. If we all had a grand to spend on a video card im sure we would go get the 690 and call it a day. But when the 690 isn't enough anymore then it will go down in price to around 500-700 bucks and.... well you know what happens next, its the nature of the beast lol.

I am personally waiting for the next gen cards because i feel like they rushed this last gen on us just because (ATI/NVIDIA/AMD)

Eh, it generally won't OC anywhere near as well, but it's still really fast and comes close in overall performance. I wouldn't worry about it :).

I guess if your purely into numbers and that is what does it for you then so be it. I like gaming without the obvious framerate crapping and I built my PC with crossfire 6950's last year and everyone said the same thing. You wasting your money on 6950's its only worth it to have 6970's overclocked or a 6990. I crash BF3 everyday i play it and my Gigabyte 1g cards don't even have to be OC'd. To me if the game looks smooth and great then i don't care. Like i said when Crisis 3 comes out I garuntee the Video Card market will being making a ton of money and everyone will be looking for 690 and 7990's in CXFIRE/SLI just to get decent frame rates. Anything less will be looked down upon and the lower cards will be selling like hotcakes.

when crysis 3 comes out and he has a 660ti he will wish he had a 670 because a 670 is gonna stomp crysis 3. and if it doesnt by this time next year what do you think the price for a second 670 will be? it wont be 400.

like golden is saying I would not stress too much about this.. you will still get around 1100 boost

stepup to a reference 670.. $133.05+10 for shipping it back

that is an incredible pricepoint

Stick with the 570 and wait for the next iteration to come out. I don't think you'll see huge improvements over the 570. I get a new video card every 2 - 2 1/2 | 3 Years. This last time I went from a 5850 Radeon to a GTX670 and found it was a good step up.

i paid 275 ar for gtx 570.. and if 660ti 2gb is a slight increase of power for 45 dollars. i dont mind.. but from reviews that 192bit bus is pretty terrible.

Im thinking of stepping up to the 670 but i would feel pretty terrible about it because of all the stellar reviews of the FTW edition

Back