gtx 570 or 580 for modern games at 1920x1200?

uniqueID

n00b
which of these will suffice for playing modern games at resolution 1920x1200, maximum details? i have specifically skyrim in mind.

Asus ENGTX570 DCII (could be Zotac GTX 570 AMP Editio​n, GIGABYTE GTX 570 Super Overclo​ck)
or
Asus ENGTX580 DCII​

i'm going to overclock the card.

the new computer build would consist of these components:
proc: Intel Core i5-2500K
ssd: A-Data S511 120GB
mb: Asus P8P67 Deluxe (rev 3.0) - Intel P67
mem: Kingston HyperX T1 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 KHX1600C9D3T1K2/8G
cool: NZXT HAVIK 140
case: Corsair CC600T
hdd: 2x WD Caviar Black LX - 500GB
psu: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W

IF you can not wait for the new cards next year i would just get the best now. 580gtx.

You mean GTX580, not 580gtx :p

At 1920x1200 you will be OK with either, depending on the game, but the 580 does offer a considerable 20% performance boost over the 570. I also hear 580s overclock better than 570s, but don't hold me to this. Personally speaking I'd try and grab an EVGA, Gigabyte or Zotac GTX580 and avoid the Asus.

if you have the money then of course go with the fastest card you can afford. a gtx580 is certainly a noticeably better gpu in very demanding games like Metro 2033, BF 3, and Crysis 2 in DX11. that extra bit of vram can help out in some cases too. the reference gtx580 is more robust than the gtx570 and can handle overclocking better. of course if you are looking at non reference cards then that means nothing.

In terms of value, the 570 is the better card. They can be had for $300 and aren't that much slower than a 580 and only marginally so in some games. But it terms of sheer horsepower, the $450-500 GTX580 is the faster card and will own any game at your resolution. If I could afford it, the 580 would be my choice. I'm a firm believer that you should buy as much GPU horsepower as you can afford.

I would say, 570 now, possiblity of SLI later. 580 is not really worth the price premium IMO when you can get a 570 for $270 after rebate.

(that's what I'm doing :cool:)

I would say, 570 now, possiblity of SLI later. 580 is not really worth the price premium IMO when you can get a 570 for $270 after rebate.

(that's what I'm doing :cool:)
which one are you getting? I sure hope its not that MSI one.

I have both the GTX 570 and GTX 580, when gaming at 1920x1080 there is not much difference in fps. I would recommend the GTX 570 for better value. You can pick up the GTX 580 for e-speen status and say I have one =).

Congrats on which ever card you get!

I was just looking into getting some new cards, and two gtx560's are cheaper and perform better than a gtx580, so why not? By the time you'd ever want to get another gtx580 they may be hard to find, that's how my "sli plans in the future" worked. I'm just going to do bang-for-my-buck sli from the get-go for all my builds I think.

I was just looking into getting some new cards, and two gtx560's are cheaper and perform better than a gtx580, so why not? By the time you'd ever want to get another gtx580 they may be hard to find, that's how my "sli plans in the future" worked. I'm just going to do bang-for-my-buck sli from the get-go for all my builds I think.
1gb of vram no longer cuts it for some games and you will not even be able to take full advantage of the gtx560 sli because you will run out of vram in the very games that you need that much gpu power for.

Ah...Oh well, I'll live.

I looked at the Galaxy card but from what I've read the cooler isn't as effective as the turbine-type one.
and where did you read that??? the Galaxy cooler is better and quieter than the reference cooler. also Galaxy has a reference one too for the same price. unless you have already ordered the MSI card you would do better to get one of the Galaxy cards or any other that's on sale.

EDIT:here is a review of the KFA² gtx570 which is the exact same cooler. http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/kfa2_gtx570_review/2

"The reference 5 series cooler from nVidia is no slouch, but the KFA² is amazingly even quieter and cooler. It's a majestic bit of kit."

Last edited:
1gb of vram no longer cuts it for some games and you will not even be able to take full advantage of the gtx560 sli because you will run out of vram in the very games that you need that much gpu power for.

You could step up to the 2gb version and it would still be about even with the price of
a 580. Not sure if it's worth it though?

and where did you read that??? the Galaxy cooler is better and quieter than the reference cooler. also Galaxy has a reference one too for the same price. unless you have already ordered the MSI card you would do better to get one of the Galaxy cards or any other that's on sale.

EDIT:here is a review of the KFA² gtx570 which is the exact same cooler. http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/kfa2_gtx570_review/2

"The reference 5 series cooler from nVidia is no slouch, but the KFA² is amazingly even quieter and cooler. It's a majestic bit of kit."

Ahh...well, yeah the MSI one is already ordered, but if it's too crazy loud I can just send it back I suppose.

And I read that on Newegg reviews (of which there are admittedly few) and other reviews (again, very few). I couldn't find a lot of info on the Galaxy card so I didn't go that route. Plus it was a bit more expensive than the MSI when I ordered (now it's a bit cheaper of course).

So, update to this thread: I got the MSI 570 that you were telling me NOT to buy. Opened it up, and I think I got the older model with the 570 cooler, because it's a lot shorter than the one in the picture on Newegg and it's not loud at all. It's actually way quieter at idle than my GTX 280s were. I haven't tried it at full load yet but I'm impressed already. It seems to run ArmA2 WAY smoother than my GTX 280 SLI setup, and in the short time I was playing that (it's pretty GPU intensive) I didn't notice any major sound coming from the card.

Overall I'm happy. Maybe I lucked out getting the original/older version, but it worked out. :cool:

EDIT: Or maybe this is the new version? I don't know. Either way it's not loud at all and seems to work fine so far.

EDIT2: I ran MSI Kombustor (which is like their version of Furmark or something)...Card idles at like 43 C and ~40% fan speed. Never got above 65 C and 60% fan speed during the extreme test. Never got noticeably louder.

I did try turning the fan up to 100% manually for the hell of it, and it's pretty loud, but mostly just the sound of air movement, not any sort of real fan noise. Plus I don't see any reason why you would need the fan at 100% considering the temperatures.

Last edited:
If you do not wish to upgrade your CPU/motherboard anytime soon, I will go with the GTX580 instead of the 570. The reason is that for the newer generation of graphic cards will be PCIE3.0, and you will not be able to upgrade to them without changing your CPU/motherboard. The 580 will give you more longevity in games and you could always get another used 580 down the road if you need more power.

Back