GTX 480 jump from 8800gtx

Halloween

Limp Gawd
Its like night and day, so glad i made the jump. Refreshed my whole rig and tried to go all out this time. I was worried about the 480gtx heat so decided to have a dedicated watercooling loop to handle it which it does greatly so much so that it is also stable at 852Mhz now. :)

I've not tried GTA4 so not sure how that one will handle but always wanted to play it. Anyone know how it performs on the GTX480?

I agree. I came from a gtx285 and it was like night and day. IMO this is the single biggest jump in performance that has ever come out of nvidia. Even greater than the 7900gt to 8800 jump of 2006. I also have to ROFL when all the naysayers were crying about availability of the 4xx series cards. I bought one the same week they came out at a B&M store and now you can't spit without hitting one at newegg or B&M stores. It took a GOOD 6 months before ATI 5xxx series cards were at B&M stores and even on newegg with any regularity. The naysayers have been very quiet in the past few months about this. Glad you enjoy your card. I'm about to buy my 2nd and move up to 3D surround.

I agree. I came from a gtx285 and it was like night and day. IMO this is the single biggest jump in performance that has ever come out of nvidia. Even greater than the 7900gt to 8800 jump of 2006. I also have to ROFL when all the naysayers were crying about availability of the 4xx series cards. I bought one the same week they came out at a B&M store and now you can't spit without hitting one at newegg or B&M stores. It took a GOOD 6 months before ATI 5xxx series cards were at B&M stores and even on newegg with any regularity. The naysayers have been very quiet in the past few months about this. Glad you enjoy your card. I'm about to buy my 2nd and move up to 3D surround.

Damn you.

I was using the excuse that a jump from a GTX 285 to a GTX 480 would not be "that" big. Now I have to start looking at GTX 480s again. I wonder if I go with the Evga offering, if getting the SSC+ version is worth the extra $30-$40?

You also owe me a beer. :D

Last edited:
I'm joining you soon.. Just bought 2 480GTX last night and i'll be building a new rig from an old one that had 8800GTX SLI.

The longest i ever went without upgrading.. 3+ years! :)

I was thinking about a single GTX 480 but I don't think the jump from two overclocked GTX 280s in SLI would actually be that big, if any.

Sorry Ark! I pretty much doubled my fps in every game when I moved up from the 285. Most games doubled, some 'only' increased by 50%. It's a great card even if it does run hot and gets loud. I just moved my components to the new FT02-WRI case by Silverstone and it drastically cut down on the noise level with the sound proofing and my cpu and gpu easily run 5-10c cooler than my old TJ09BW case. Anyone who runs 480SLI owes it to themselves to switch to this case. It is a masterpiece of form and function.

I am about to build a new rig(parts just arrived.) The old PC had an 8800GTX, the new one a Galaxy GTX480... I will post my results as well.

Back