GTX 275 TDP Question

friend'scatdied

[H]ard|Gawd
This has been bugging me for a very long time, and I couldn't find the answer anywhere.

Why does the GTX 275 have such a high thermal design power? It's 219W.

The GTX 260 65nm has a TDP of 182W. The 55nm version is rated for 171W. Hell, the GTX 285 (which is 55nm and also based on GT200b) has a TDP more than 20% lower -- 183W.

The GTX 275 is a 55nm part, but its TDP really befuddles me. It seems like its a really hot chip if it's between the GTX 285 and GTX 280 in watts, even when it uses a newer process than the latter and is slower than the former. And release-wise, it's newer than all of the aforementioned models!

Yes, I understand that TDP might not really mean jack and it's just a number describing thermal dissipation.. but I'm just curious how this unusually high number reconciles.

nVidia's site states Board Power Consumption, not TDP.

Where are you getting these TDP values from?

BTW, the GTX275 might have a higher Total Board Power Consumption than the GTX285 because of...

lower end power circuitry.

The Wikipedia page lists the GTX275 as having a TDP of about 185 Watt. Whether this includes the board consumption I do not know, but the implementation will affect the total number.

The Wikipedia page lists the GTX275 as having a TDP of about 185 Watt. Whether this includes the board consumption I do not know, but the implementation will affect the total number.

Actually this page in particular lists 219W: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_200_Series#Technical_summary

Same with numbers from gpureview (http://www.gpureview.com/GeForce-GTX-275-card-609.html), though I have no idea where this data is extrapolated from. It could be just board power consumption or something, I dunno. Reviews seem to mention the 219W TDP just as well.

Lower-end PCB power circuitry makes sense, but does that extra 24 SP really add 37W over the lower-end GTX 260 216 (55nm)?

It does indeed seem very weird that a lower-clocked version with smaller memory bus (448 vs 512) would have a higher TDP than its higher-clocked version (GTX285). Something doesn't add up here.

It does indeed seem very weird that a lower-clocked version with smaller memory bus (448 vs 512) would have a higher TDP than its higher-clocked version (GTX285). Something doesn't add up here.

my bet is still on cheaper reference circuitry.

Just like how the 55nm gtx260 has higher temps than the 65nm gtx260 - because the reference cooler changed to an aluminum design, instead of the older, copper design.

my bet is still on cheaper reference circuitry.

Just like how the 55nm gtx260 has higher temps than the 65nm gtx260 - because the reference cooler changed to an aluminum design, instead of the older, copper design.

I should be glad then that I got an Asus GTX275 which uses better-than-reference voltage circuit part, I guess :)

Back