GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 Benches

Still a single 8 pin... Also, virtually no difference in performance between this and the FE. Will be curious how it over-clocks in comparison.

Last edited:
Still a single 8 pin... Also, virtually no difference in performance between this and the FE. Will be curious how it over-clocks in comparison.
Looks really really pretty (stoked for more versions), but that 8 pin....:(

What accounts for the SLI minimum being 47 and the max being 121 in that Shadow of Mordor test?

What accounts for the SLI minimum being 47 and the max being 121 in that Shadow of Mordor test?
Also the min FPS of the SC version is less than the 1080 stock, possibly an anomaly, looking forward to more in depth reviews

Its the Nvidia FE PCB with a different cooler, is all.

Nvidia PCB logo signifies reference... err Founder's PCB.

Yep. Much better than the FE for sure, but I'm holding out for a second power plug.

I hope that ACX 3.0 cooler is metal and not a bunch of silver painted plastic. Looks good to me (presuming it is metal).

Pretty impressive card, really excited to see what the Ti/Titan looks like this round

Why is it so impressive? It's a reference PCB with a better cooler but no second power plug. If it's <$650, it will be priced properly and perfectly fine. If it's $699.... goddammit Nvidia.

Why is it so impressive? It's a reference PCB with a better cooler but no second power plug. If it's <$650, it will be priced properly and perfectly fine. If it's $699.... goddammit Nvidia.

As a SC card, it's going to be fairly low on the totem pole of EVGA products and likely to be closer to the $599 price floor.

I hope you're right, but given how Nvidia positioned their inferior reference card... I'm not optimistic.

That is a nice looking design, but it's still the reference PCB. Call me when the FTW or Classy versions come out.

The reference PCB has traces for a second power plug-- AIBs don't need a custom board to do it. That's all I want, aftermarket cooling and a second power plug.

Agreed. This early in the game there's no reason not to charge more.

EVGA sets the MSRP and sticks with it from the launch all the way to full availability. They won't just fuck with the MSRP because they can, that pisses retailers off. If retailers gouge, that is on them and not EVGA. Many of the 970 cards have had the same MSRP for 20 months straight.

EVGA sets the MSRP and sticks with it from the launch all the way to full availability. They won't just fuck with the MSRP because they can, that pisses retailers off. If retailers gouge, that is on them and not EVGA. Many of the 970 cards have had the same MSRP for 20 months straight.

I'm not trying to start a blame game. I don't give a shit about that, what I care about is what prices will we pay if we want to buy this card in a week or two.

Those performance graphs look unimpressive though.

Turns out it's factory OCed Asus Strix 980ti vs stock 1080.

Last edited:
Those performance graphs look unimpressive though.

Turns out it's factory OCed Asus Strix 980ti vs stock 1080.

no, a factory OC asus strix vs the ACX 3 superclocked evga card.

edit: i just compared his originial 1080 article to this article, it looks like he just straight up copy and pasted the graphs while adding the 1080 SLI on there...

misleading at best.

Last edited:
What will be telling is how well it does overclocked vs. a 980 Ti at 1500/8000.

The 1080 doesn't look all that great compared to the 980 ti.

I thought this has been beaten to death; this is the successor of the GTX 980 and as such blows its performance out of the water. Sure, now it's the 'fastest card in town', but it's not meant to be a marked improvement over the prior flagship GPU ( GTX 980 ti or Titan X)

Actually the card being benched in those charts is the FE version, they didn't post any numbers (other than the temps) for the EVGA SC specifically. Very misleading

Also the min FPS of the SC version is less than the 1080 stock, possibly an anomaly, looking forward to more in depth reviews

Actually the card being benched in those charts is the FE version, they didn't post any numbers (other than the temps) for the EVGA SC specifically. Very misleading

They must have edited it, I commented earlier on there being benchmarks of this new version. Unless I totally hallucinated it this morning...

Guys, for $600 a d even $700 this card is supposed to seriously beat 980ti which costed the same at launch. Despite that it's a 980 successor. We compare them because of price, so if it really ends up with just 5-10% performance difference - that's ridiculous!

That would be ridiculous! Good thing it's much more than 5-10% faster!

The benches are pretty fucking worthless considering the only difference between the FE and the SC is a different cooler and a slightly higher base/boost clock. Turn the fan up on the FE and it will benchmark and OC EXACTLY the same as the SC. The new shroud design looks pretty slick (imo) though.

I'm more excited to see how the custom boards with better power delivery like the FTW perform. I'm also VERY interested in seeing the pricing for these cards... The ACX SC is traditionally about $20 more expensive than the "no frills" card. If the ACX comes out with an MSRP of anything higher than $619, we know the whole $599 claim from Nvidia is utter bullshit. I really think the $599/$699 pricing was a roundabout way for Nvidia to give the 1080 a price hike. Based on performance the 1080 is replacing the 980 and the $599 MSRP helps drive that home. Bump the price up to $699 and it starts sounding like a replacement for the 980 Ti... Except the performance is not there and people would bitch. I think the pricing was their strategy for getting around that. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

reference PCB booooooooooooo.

If ASUS doesnt completely screw up their cooler design again, I am interested in what they have to offer. Maybe im wrong, but they seem to make the most power-delivery changes on their custom PCBs, than any other AIB.

The benches are pretty fucking worthless considering the only difference between the FE and the SC is a different cooler and a slightly higher base/boost clock. Turn the fan up on the FE and it will benchmark and OC EXACTLY the same as the SC. The new shroud design looks pretty slick (imo) though.

I'm more excited to see how the custom boards with better power delivery like the FTW perform. I'm also VERY interested in seeing the pricing for these cards... The ACX SC is traditionally about $20 more expensive than the "no frills" card. If the ACX comes out with an MSRP of anything higher than $619, we know the whole $599 claim from Nvidia is utter bullshit. I really think the $599/$699 pricing was a roundabout way for Nvidia to give the 1080 a price hike. Based on performance the 1080 is replacing the 980 and the $599 MSRP helps drive that home. Bump the price up to $699 and it starts sounding like a replacement for the 980 Ti... Except the performance is not there and people would bitch. I think the pricing was their strategy for getting around that. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

yeah, if its $620 this is a decent version I would say (much better than FE, of course) but if they're all planning to do refrence +, as in $720 for this, they're out of their damned minds.

We need more competition.

I thought this has been beaten to death; this is the successor of the GTX 980 and as such blows its performance out of the water. Sure, now it's the 'fastest card in town', but it's not meant to be a marked improvement over the prior flagship GPU ( GTX 980 ti or Titan X)

Getting a 1080, but I gotta say I'm sick of this dumbass argument. It costs more than the 980ti, it's the fastest mainstream GPU they will be selling. It's the flagship GPU. The presence of two letters at the end of the name makes no difference. They could call it Susan if they wanted to. It should be faster than the GPU it's replacing, which is, like it or not, the 980ti.

Trot that shit out when there actually is a 1080ti.

Back