GTX 1070's worth it?

travm

2[H]4U
So i've been waiting since amd launched 470's and 480's for a 470 to show up under $220 CAD to buy. So that didnt happen, then 570's, same deal, then holy shit.
now video cards are almost not available.
So I wandered through a local store the other day and they have zotac mini gtx1070's for $585 CAD.
Is it realistic to mine half days with these to offset their cost and just buy 1070's? $585 is more than double i would normally consider for a GPU purchase, but i guess if it actually pays for itself....

Yes actually. Mine in your off time, and once you hit $250 or so you have a better card for 'free'. The 1070 will do $4 a day give or take if your going simple with something like Nicehash

Just checked nicehash, claims about a $4 profit a day, only running half days (or slightly less) it would take months to even get half-way there. It is crazy that you can just create money from air like that though.

Just checked nicehash, claims about a $4 profit a day, only running half days (or slightly less) it would take months to even get half-way there. It is crazy that you can just create money from air like that though.
$4 a day is $120 per month. Subtract about $5-$10 each month, for the extra electricity.

It's like any speculative investment. If crypto goes to zero tomorrow, how screwed are you that you spent the extra on a higher-tier card? If you're fine, it's a acceptable risk. If it causes you to miss your house payment or something...well, *I* certainly wouldn't jump into that situation.

It took me about 3 and a half months (24/7) to mine 1 ETH on my GTX1070. ETH was about $300 back then, so I waited another month and cashedout at $740. I ended up getting almost twice what I paid for the card.

At current price, it will take probably 10 months to get back what you paid for.

It's like any speculative investment. If crypto goes to zero tomorrow, how screwed are you that you spent the extra on a higher-tier card? If you're fine, it's a acceptable risk. If it causes you to miss your house payment or something...well, *I* certainly wouldn't jump into that situation.
I could handle it. But I'll keep on trucking with my 7870s. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth. I could put my 7870s in another box and run 24 7 with them, but I'd have to buy two 1070s then. Hopefully midrange GPUs come back soon.

7870's would probably use more electricity then the amount of revenue they'll generate. If you need a new card, just buy one. Crypto doesn't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon.

7870's would probably use more electricity then the amount of revenue they'll generate. If you need a new card, just buy one. Crypto doesn't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon.

Negative.

7850s = R9 270s, 7870s = R9 270Xs (with a bit extra on the clocks for the R9 versions)

Both models are still profitable as of this post's timestamp calculation.

Need is the operative word. 7870 still rocks high settings at 1080p well enough. Just due for an upgrade, but not for 600 bucks. Hell even 460s cost more than I paid for my two 7870s. That is certainly not even an upgrade

Need is the operative word. 7870 still rocks high settings at 1080p well enough. Just due for an upgrade, but not for 600 bucks. Hell even 460s cost more than I paid for my two 7870s. That is certainly not even an upgrade

I just tried to run my 7950 at 1.1Ghz core/1.5Ghz memory and it wouldn't run AC: origins very well unless I dropped the res to 1366x768. I ended up "upgrading" to a 1070Ti which runs great at 1080p on my 4k TV. So it really depends on the game.

I don't have AC:eek:rigins. But I've run several games at 4K with my 1070Ti and they perform surprisingly well. I do have to lower some IQ options (mostly shadows, AA and AO) a notch but I think its worth it.

I'm generally just disgusted that midrange GPU's dont exist anymore. The new midrange is at high end prices. or the other way, the new midrange has less actual performance than the old mid-range. I want to upgrade my 4 year old 7870's, but the cost is ridiculous. No doubt 1070's would be a huge upgrade, but 4 years later...

True enough on the depends on the game, i pretty much just play Battlefield 1, and COH2. both work great at 1080p

I would lick my own chops if it went to zero and I would buy up a canyon load of coin. Please BTC go to zero.

it can run most games on 1440p still. or a faster 980ti less cost but aside from that it have lower vram and power use. and its marginally less better then a 1080 :p only sensible upgraade from 1070 or 1080 is a1080 ti imo.

Since BTC price plumment, now you will mine $1-2 a day. But dont think like that. Mine and moved the fund to a good coin that has a future like EOS, DNT, VEN, CND, NANO, NEO, TRX, IOTA, WTC etc... and wait bitcoin price to double or triple. it will eventually and you will double the money you invested + a free video card.

Since BTC price plumment, now you will mine $1-2 a day. But dont think like that. Mine and moved the fund to a good coin that has a future like EOS, DNT, VEN, CND, NANO, NEO, TRX, IOTA, WTC etc... and wait bitcoin price to double or triple. it will eventually and you will double the money you invested + a free video card.
Yeah, been reading about this alot the last month or so.
HODL till Lambos!

Yep. There are bunch of shit coins so do your research well. And move the mining funds to the a coin you picked. Try to take out at least your electric cost and may be a few bucks when market stabilizes. And keep some for future growth

I sold mine when they were low, LOL. I had 2x PC with ,2x 1080 and 2x 1070. One PC had 1600W EVGA G2 PSU and 128gb DDR4. Everything sold when they were so low. I could have made $1200-1500 more if I kept them another 7-8 months.

I'm seriously considering buying GPU's until I start tripping breakers....

Lol who asks $300 for gtx660 for that much must be high. Anything below gtx 770 are waste. Even those are not good since they are high wattage cards. But since people can't find anything else, even gtx 7xxx series have a buyer now.

Lol who asks $300 for gtx660 for that much must be high. Anything below gtx 770 are waste. Even those are not good since they are high wattage cards. But since people can't find anything else, even gtx 7xxx series have a buyer now.

You are absolutely right on the situation regarding older graphics card. I used to pick up 750ti cards for $50, now used going over $150!

Back