GTA IV PC Benchmarks

I get around 20-30 FPS average with my settings. I put traffic on 100, which cuts my FPS in half, but I couldn't play the game with traffic under 100, the anarchy is a good enough trade off for silky FPS. Weaving through traffic on a crotch rocket with 20+ cars is very fun. I also turned off shadows because I'm driving so fast that I don't even notice dynamic shadows.

One thing I noticed is that traffic makes my CPU temp skyrocket, up to 58, and I have my computer shut down at 60 degrees too. Since I started playing the game, my idle temp has gone up 3 degrees even after reboot.
you have your computer set to shut down at 60 degrees on the cpu? tjmax is around 100c, y would you do that?

anyone else have a 9800gtx? What are your fps like? I want to compare :D

ill post mine in a sec

Core2Duo and 8800gtx got owned.

Statistics
Average FPS: 18.18
Duration: 37.19 sec
CPU Usage: 100%
System memory usage: 93%
Video memory usage: 73%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1600 x 1200 (85 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
Render Quality: High
View Distance: 25
Detail Distance: 37

Hardware
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 3
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
Video Driver version: 180.48
Audio Adapter: SB X-Fi Audio [CF00]
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz

File ID: Benchmark.cli

2ND run Woot 1fps increase, just need to pull another 15fps and I am set. Maybe they will add a 3rd world country mod that takes it to another level and replaces all graphics with crayola graphics.

Statistics
Average FPS: 19.51
Duration: 37.10 sec
System memory usage: 84%
Video memory usage: 60%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1024 x 768 (85 Hz)

Hardware
Service Pack 3

File ID: Benchmark.cli

Note im running Crossifred 3870's.
CPU is overclocked to 3.4GHz
Cant load high textures at this res.
CPU often reaches 90%+ on all 4 cores during actual gameplay.

Statistics
Average FPS: 49.95
Duration: 37.50 sec
CPU Usage: 65%
System memory usage: 92%
Video memory usage: 77%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1600 x 1200 (60 Hz)

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Business
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series
Video Driver version: 7.14.10.621
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3360 @ 2.83GHz

I am very glad I did not buy this game.I love the gta series but this game should of just stayed on the consoles seriously.

If people are using q6600 at 3.6 and gtx 280's and arent breaking 60fps we are in big trouble.
I cant imagine what this game would do on my rig.Even at 1280x720 I would probably be lucky to hit 30fps

for the cost of upgrading your cpu/gpu just buy an xbox w/ gta4 (for half the cost).

check the for sale section

I am very glad I did not buy this game.I love the gta series but this game should of just stayed on the consoles seriously.

If people are using q6600 at 3.6 and gtx 280's and arent breaking 60fps we are in big trouble.
I cant imagine what this game would do on my rig.Even at 1280x720 I would probably be lucky to hit 30fps

i agree there, but if you can slip by, its worth buying.

You only need 30fps, on console it barely hits the 30fps mark too. Even at the slow speed it just looked so much better than the console version, at 1600x1200 on my 24inch crt it looked really nice, only problem was the speed. Only time I've seen my processor hit 100% usage. If I can get a good speed on this it will be worth it.

I am at low res 1280x720 so I am really cpu limited.
I wonder if the ole E8400 will be able to give me a decent framerate.

Is there a demo anywhere for gta4? It would be nice to see if I can actually play it first before spending $50 on it and the game running like shit on my rig

Just look at my processor, slightly slower than yours and only saw 1fps difference by lowering rez.

I am gonna have to say that gta 4 is probably gonna be a no go for me

The game is extremely CPU dependant. There are others here posting much better FPS at higher resolutions than me with an OCed quad core and an 8800GT, when i have an OCed e6700 with GTX260. I would also like to note i did not notice a difference in playability when going from 3.0 ghz to 3.5ghz on my CPU.

I dont understand that at all.How can you go up .5ghz and not notice any kind of improvement?

This may be a sign for us dual core users that our time is slowly coming to an end and a quad core is gonna be needed sooner then we think.
I just dont understand why this game is not optimized for dual cores!!!
I mean yes there are not the new thing in terms of cpu but oh well.As long as I can play Call of duty I am fine

For Reference Two Benchmark runs

---------

RUN 1 - CPU @ STOCK 2.66GHZ

Statistics
Average FPS: 41.16
Duration: 37.49 sec
CPU Usage: 68%
System memory usage: 57%
Video memory usage: 94%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 (59 Hz)
Texture Quality: Low
Render Quality: Medium
View Distance: 22
Detail Distance: 32

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Ultimate
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Video Driver version: 7.14.10.630
Audio Adapter: Speakers (ASUS Xonar DX Audio Device)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz

------------------------------

RUN 2 - CPU @3.2GHZ

Statistics
Average FPS: 43.94
Duration: 37.30 sec
CPU Usage: 65%
System memory usage: 53%
Video memory usage: 94%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 (59 Hz)
Texture Quality: Low
Render Quality: Medium
View Distance: 22
Detail Distance: 32

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Ultimate
Service Pack 1
Audio Adapter: Speakers (ASUS Xonar DX Audio Device)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz (@3.2GHZ)

------

My only comments are that during game play I have not noticed a difference between 2.66 and 3.2. It's probably because my view distance is low due to lack of VRAM (see CPU usage).

Oh, and it's LOTS of fun.

I am not gonna pick this game up if it isn't running good on your guys rigs.
I wish it would run good on mine but I know it wont.

You are gpu dependant also at 1920x1200 but the game is just so cpu dependant that I think it just doesn't matter.

Is there alot of stuff going on all the time? That is the only thing I can think of why it is so cpu dependant.I am a little upset now

I am not gonna pick this game up if it isn't running good on your guys rigs.
I wish it would run good on mine but I know it wont.

You are gpu dependant also at 1920x1200 but the game is just so cpu dependant that I think it just doesn't matter.

Is there alot of stuff going on all the time? That is the only thing I can think of why it is so cpu dependant.I am a little upset now

Yeah, seems the game does become GPU dependant on higher res like 1920 x 1200 and 2560 x 1600. Benchmark with my q9550 @ stock 2.83ghz then @ 3.53ghz, FPS remained at 42 on both occasions running at 2560 x 1600.

Would be awesome if we could get some AA then we could drop the res a bit.

the game has no option for AA?
That is weird.Is there alot of stuff going on all the time in this game?I mean on screen is there alot of people,cars? That is the only reason why i can see it being so cpu dependant.I wish I could play thins game but oh well maybe next time

Statistics
Average FPS: 30.65
Duration: 37.06 sec
Video memory usage: 98%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1280 x 1024 (75 Hz)
Render Quality: Highest
View Distance: 13
Detail Distance: 30

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Video Driver version: 178.13
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4400 @ 2.00GHz (3.0)

I just finished the main storyline in single player mode. I just learned to live with RESC10 fatal error crashes at random and even the still occasional crash due to "running out of video memory" despite my settings being well into the green and the rest of it. What an unecessary mess this game is. I guess it's a testament to just how much I like it and how good the game really is that I just kept on playing despite the above.

I was getting RESC10 errors when I had the /3gb switch in XP32 along with missing audio and the wrong amount of vram detected in the options menu. Removed it and it was fine.

I was getting RESC10 errors when I had the /3gb switch in XP32 along with missing audio and the wrong amount of vram detected in the options menu. Removed it and it was fine.

I'm using Vista 64 with 4 gigs of RAM.

I'm using Vista 64 with 4 gigs of RAM.

Did the game use more than 50% of your memory under Vista64? I installed it under Vista 64 hoping for a little better performance and didn't notice it use any more resources aside from my CPU usage jumping on average around 10% higher in the benchmark runs and my FPS dropping around 7-10FPS. :\

I lowered view distance and detail distance and It's playable, 35.30FPS, gotta start somewhere, very playable for a core2duo.

Statistics
Average FPS: 35.30
Duration: 37.14 sec
CPU Usage: 88%
System memory usage: 83%
Video memory usage: 68%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1600 x 1200 (85 Hz)
Detail Distance: 13

Hardware
Service Pack 3

File ID: benchmark.cli

I cant help but to wonder why so many people are buying this game here at the [H] when they see/read that those before them are saying the game is absolute SHIT?

Any other game that gets BAD reviews, people dont usually rush out to get it and usually wait till it hits the $10 bin at Wal-Mart.

To me, its the same thing as someone saying they just got home with a new TV and it was broken, took it back to get another one and it too was broken, then making a post about how fuked up it is, someone reading about it and then going out and buying the same damn TV.

Why o Why are you people going out and spending $50 bucks on something you KNOW is broken?

I dont get it?????

Haha i know what you mean, turn back the pages a bit and you will see a perfect example of it, but the more and more i see people posting their results, the more the game starts looking decent, meaning bearly playable and im sure thats what 90% of the people want from this game.

To me i can give a hell if the game is a port, as long as its playable (30 frames) and the game is decent. 40+ frames is not a needed thing imo. That being said, it might be a port, and might require some decent hardware, but its still playable, be happy :D

Well I don't own an HDTV, I have the Ps3 version, being able to play it at HD quality on my computer makes it worth it, just lower a few settings in draw distance, draw quality and it still looks a lot more detailed than that smeared quality on the consoles. Remember the consoles were benchmarked and are getting 28-31fps, you didn't see ppl whining as much because their game wasn't running 30fps. I am upset because it's not optimized for dual core but on the plus side it is playable at a smooth rate for me now. I still think that it looks a lot better than the console version. Why don't I own an HD TV? I do most of my gaming on the PC, the other ppl in the house who use the TV all the time can upgrade it if they want.

I don't think my specs are that high, but I am getting awesome results with the game. I am glad I bought it. I have not received any errors in regards to crashing, or starting up.

I even put in about 2 hours of game time and there was no stuttering or hiccups.

My benchmark is the following:

Benchmark said:
Statistics
Average FPS: 41.65
Duration: 37.16 sec
CPU Usage: 95%
Video memory usage: 66%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1280 x 1024 (75 Hz)

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Business
Service Pack 1
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz

lepard- thats because your specs are just above the point of good return for this game. athlon x2 6000+ chip and 8800gt= fail, Core2Duo + 4850 = great for this game. the x2 chips especially just dont do it for gta4, no matter what overclock you do to it.

Awww shit here we go now with people posting benchmarks with similar hard ware to mine.I am still not gonna get this game unless I can get it for $20 or under

Awww shit here we go now with people posting benchmarks with similar hard ware to mine.I am still not gonna get this game unless I can get it for $20 or under

That's gonna be in quite a while

shouldnt be too long.Maybe I will get lucky and someone wil be pissed off about the crappy performance they are getting with their 5000+ x2 cpu and they will sell it to me for $20

I searched every page in this thread and only one i7 benchie at low resolution. God, I want to see some 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 High Textures Highest Renderer View Distance 30 everything else maxed out.

Getting 46FPS in the test
Maxed out, above settings, 30% View Distance due to my GTX 260.
Real game performance is around 30FPS. I'll get the log in a bite.

I cant help but to wonder why so many people are buying this game here at the [H] when they see/read that those before them are saying the game is absolute SHIT?

Any other game that gets BAD reviews, people dont usually rush out to get it and usually wait till it hits the $10 bin at Wal-Mart.

To me, its the same thing as someone saying they just got home with a new TV and it was broken, took it back to get another one and it too was broken, then making a post about how fuked up it is, someone reading about it and then going out and buying the same damn TV.

Why o Why are you people going out and spending $50 bucks on something you KNOW is broken?

I dont get it?????

well how do you know who bought the game? :D for all we know half the people here could be posting benches off of a copy, which would actually run faster without securom. plus it's looking better now since people have figured out ways around the problems with the engine in their broken port - or "xbox emulator" I should say, calling it a port would be giving them too much credit for work they never did.

What do you more experienced GTA 4 PC gamers think of me running this game on the following laptop?:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5Ghz (T9300...ala 6Mb cache)
Ram: 4GB memory (winXP only shows 3.5GB)
Video: Nvidia Quadro NVS 140m
HDD: 7200rpm sata

I don't mind turning all the graphics setting low, but with low settings what kind of frame-rates can I expect?

Dont expect any playable rates on laptops, if u wanna play 10-15fps then be my guest.

Dont expect any playable rates on laptops, if u wanna play 10-15fps then be my guest.

That's what I get on a quad core and 280. The game depends less on the hardware and more on how much of a shit it feels like being, as far as performance goes.

What do you more experienced GTA 4 PC gamers think of me running this game on the following laptop?:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5Ghz (T9300...ala 6Mb cache)
Ram: 4GB memory (winXP only shows 3.5GB)
Video: Nvidia Quadro NVS 140m
HDD: 7200rpm sata

I don't mind turning all the graphics setting low, but with low settings what kind of frame-rates can I expect?

Processor and memory should be fine, don't expect miracles but that video card wont cut it.

Wow, i just played the game, up to where you go break that chinese guy window, and wow, the game is 100% playable, i get around 40 frames while driving, 32 while in the talking scenes, just flawless, here are my settings, makes me wonder when people say they could not even play it on the lowest settings. My drivers are the 180.48 and game has not even been patched.

Im having problems trying to find the file where its recorded at, i found the benchmark.cl file, do i use notepad to open it?

Wow, i just played the game, up to where you go break that chinese guy window, and wow, the game is 100% playable, i get around 40 frames while driving, 32 while in the talking scenes, just flawless, here are my settings, makes me wonder when people say they could not even play it on the lowest settings. My drivers are the 180.48 and game has not even been patched.

Im having problems trying to find the file where its recorded at, i found the benchmark.cl file, do i use notepad to open it?

Yes, notepad to open it, then post your benchmarks here

Same here, getting mid 40 framerates and the game is very playable at 1680 x 1050.

Done 40% so far. The mission for Packie later on is just like the heist in the film Heat. Tough as nails, it took me a few attempts and my heart was pounding like mad as I tried to outrun the coppers. Most fun in a game I've had for a while.

The mission nets you 300000k. What the hell can you spend the money on?

Back