GTA:4 // PS3:X360:PC ?

GTA 4 on . . . ? ? ?

• Total voters
I guess my real question though... Is GTA 4 the type of game that will be able to take advantage of cell processing?

Or because the size of city and all the cars and people walking around, would the X360 be better because it has more ram? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I"m sure as graphics go.... theres probably going to be little to no difference between the 2... I just wasn't sure if the PS3 would be able to do a little more, as far as AI and processing more people doing things because of the Cell CPU's....

the "Cells" are good for things like physics processing, video/audio decoding, that sort of thing, they really won't impact the number of characters or cars much, if at all. Don't get caught up in the "ZOMG Cell processor is teh r0x0rz" crap and you'll be a lot better off :). Cell is good at *one* type of thing (Floating point ops) and mediocre at just about everything else. 360's GPU, meanwhile, is really good at integer ops (AI is justo ne major usage, general game code also falls into this field), far better than Cell is, but it's likewise pretty mediocre at just about everything else.

Given that the same game is coming for both platforms at the same time, you can bet that they'll be all but identical, with the graphical edge likely going *slightly* in favor of Xbox 360 due to its superior GPU.

the "Cells" are good for things like physics processing, video/audio decoding, that sort of thing, they really won't impact the number of characters or cars much, if at all. Don't get caught up in the "ZOMG Cell processor is teh r0x0rz" crap and you'll be a lot better off :). Cell is good at *one* type of thing (Floating point ops) and mediocre at just about everything else. 360's GPU, meanwhile, is really good at integer ops (AI is justo ne major usage, general game code also falls into this field), far better than Cell is, but it's likewise pretty mediocre at just about everything else.

Given that the same game is coming for both platforms at the same time, you can bet that they'll be all but identical, with the graphical edge likely going *slightly* in favor of Xbox 360 due to its superior GPU.

I suggest reading the beyond console technology forum @ B3d as there is good info about the console limitations. http://forum.beyond3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

There is much more to it than you simply implied, cell has a decent leg up on Xenon. If there is a graphical difference between the PS3 and the 360 it would most likely be due to which system was the primary development platform than the Xenos advantage over the RSX.

Picking up the PS3 version. The actual hardware is better on the PS3; better controller, more reliable, HDMI, wifi, and the big one, quieter. Unless my xbox360 suddenly became more "human friendly", there's not much reason to get that one. PC isn't an option, since my desktop is pretty old at this point, and my laptop isn't quite suited to be a gaming machine.

This assumes the graphics/sound is equal between platforms. I'm waiting to see how much, if at all, the engine is affected by the HDD not being standard on the 360 platform. Caching and permanent data storage on the HDD should decrease load times quite a bit (some PS3 games apparently allow the option to "install" the game, thereby providing faster load times. The Xbox360 doesn't offer anything similar iirc). There's also the specific enhancements that the cell processor offers for large scale games like this (lots of models, pedestrians, birds and crap- all with complex AI and animations, physics etc). That stuff seems par for the course on cell.

Waiting for the pc version here. I always liked it better on the pc. The console u were always limited to the way the developers wanted u to play. On the pc there were tons of mods and even multiplayer mods for gta3 and all of them. You could play the game ur way and u could do a lot more. The controls are better with the mouse and keyboard plus an option for a controller. PC version always had higher resolution textures and graphics. To me its a win win situation unless you really wanna sit on a couch and thats it. Thats basically the only reason why not to play the pc version ;)

To me its a win win situation unless you really wanna sit on a couch and thats it. Thats basically the only reason why not to play the pc version ;)

Hell, why not just plug your PC into your HDTV then...

PC is in the Office, HDTV is in the living room.... I'll have to go with the PS3 :)

yeah, I just mean since the guy cited that as a downside for his gaming machine; an HDTV is just as viable an option for a PC (for gaming) as it is for a console.

I want GTA4. I have been, and still am looking forward to it. Having said that, I will loose all interest if I cannot get it on PC. I have zero interest in a console version of the game, and that will not change.

I does make me a little irritated that even though the game will no doubt be great, I know it could be much much better if they weren't having to deal with porting it to consoles.

PC for the mouse keyboard and mods. That and I lack the other options to play it on :p

yeah, I just mean since the guy cited that as a downside for his gaming machine; an HDTV is just as viable an option for a PC (for gaming) as it is for a console.

No, because most people use their pcs primarily for other tasks and, like the post you responded to, have their pcs set up apart from their home theater. It has the capability to be used with an hdtv, sure, but its not a viable option to have to move it back and forth whenever you want to play a game.

No, because most people use their pcs primarily for other tasks and, like the post you responded to, have their pcs set up apart from their home theater. It has the capability to be used with an hdtv, sure, but its not a viable option to have to move it back and forth whenever you want to play a game.

by saying "gaming machine" I was trying to specify someone's gaming PC. If the PC is used almost exclusively for gaming (as I think it is for many people here on [H]), it's just as real a possibility as it would be for a console. Whether you want to say "most people don't use it only for gaming" or not is another thing, but I'm just saying if you've got a gaming PC, an HDTV is an option. Then you've got the screen real estate of a console, with the visual quality, flexibility, and speed of a PC. Not too shabby..

My PC does not have a fast enough video card to run 1920x1080 for most recent games so hooking it up to the TV is a no go unless I plan to just web surf. I will probably pick it up for which ever version I see on the shelf on launch day, unless one version has way better extras.

My PC does not have a fast enough video card to run 1920x1080 for most recent games so hooking it up to the TV is a no go unless I plan to just web surf. I will probably pick it up for which ever version I see on the shelf on launch day, unless one version has way better extras.

What about 720P?

For some crazy reason I voted for PS3 but I'll probably wait for the PC version like I did with the last two releases.

For some crazy reason I voted for PS3 but I'll probably wait for the PC version like I did with the last two releases.

If you have either a PS3 or X360... I wouldnt know why you would wait for PC... its not like the graphics are gonna be alll that much better... probably be the exact same..

its not like the graphics are gonna be alll that much better... probably be the exact same..

At least we'll be able to add AA/AF if nothing else. Keyboard/mouse control scheme with the option to use a controller (with rumble), multiplayer mods too!

I'll be getting 360 just cause it's coming out sooner than PC, then maybe I'll trade 360 for PC version.

Back