GT 630M in a 14" laptop - heat issues?

viralcow

Limp Gawd
One of my friends asked me to recommend him a small portable laptop that can run diablo 3 and starcraft 2 (medium-low settings) under $700, so I did some research and found the 14" HP DV4-5100 with 2nd gen i5 and a 1GB GT 630M card.

It fits all his needs; the only thing I'm worried about is heat issues. I first thought the 630M was kepler so it would generate less heat. But it turns out to be more like a rebranded GT 540M, and I know a couple of people with that card in 15.6" laptops that get 90+ degrees celsius while gaming.

If so, I can only imagine the heat issues being worse in a smaller chassis. Does anyone have any experience with the 630M? And if it is a poor choice for a 13"-14" laptop, what's a better recommendation for my friend?

cassis size between 14" and 15" will not make that much difference in heat as long as the cooling solution is decent for the GPU

90C is hot but won't damage the chip. P4-m was rated for like 110C. Chips can take much higher temperatures than most people give them credit for, especially mobile chips. They are generally specced to withstand higher temperatures.

Best to check out reviews of that exact model of laptop, the cooling systems are all totally different.

One of my friends asked me to recommend him a small portable laptop that can run diablo 3 and starcraft 2 (medium-low settings) under $700, so I did some research and found the 14" HP DV4-5100 with 2nd gen i5 and a 1GB GT 630M card.

It fits all his needs; the only thing I'm worried about is heat issues. I first thought the 630M was kepler so it would generate less heat. But it turns out to be more like a rebranded GT 540M, and I know a couple of people with that card in 15.6" laptops that get 90+ degrees celsius while gaming.

If so, I can only imagine the heat issues being worse in a smaller chassis. Does anyone have any experience with the 630M? And if it is a poor choice for a 13"-14" laptop, what's a better recommendation for my friend?

There are 2!!! Gt 630m... a rebadge and a brand new kepler architecture card...

feel free to check that on notebookcheck...

the kepler 630m is amazingly cool running... try to find a kepler 630m lappy.

Back