• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

GT 240

Toconator

[H]ard DCOTM January 2026
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
880
Just picked up an XFX GT 240 for $34. It's only a 512MB card with 2.0 GHz GDDR3 and it's primary purpose is as a PhysX card. The specs on these are similiar to the old 9600 GSO's. Is it worth folding on this card IYHO's ?
 
Just picked up an XFX GT 240 for $34. It's only a 512MB card with 2.0 GHz GDDR3 and it's primary purpose is as a PhysX card. The specs on these are similiar to the old 9600 GSO's. Is it worth folding on this card IYHO's ?
It'll do 3500 to 4800 PPD depending on overclock.
 
I have one folding for a long time now. Mainly got it because 1. it was cheap. 2. It put out the same PPD as my old 8800GTS with 1/4 the heat and power consumption. I never expected much from it other than to fill a empty x16 lane on a motherboard with a dual core processor. It puts out more than 3x the PPD that the processor did.
 
I've had one I've folded on too for a long time. The power consumption is low enough - like 70 watts at load - that folding on it can give you some decent points for the power consumed. I ran mine at stock the whole time(card wouldn't take an OC) and I got around 3200-4000 ppd depending on the work unit. So I'd say its worth is for sure.
 
I've been folding on one for the last several months, ~4300ppd at 600mhz. Measured power increase from the card was about 45watts folding so not too bad.
 
Thanx Horde. Ima gonna do some hardware swappin' and re-align some of these boxen. I'll get it folding when I do ;-)
 
Thanx Horde. Ima gonna do some hardware swappin' and re-align some of these boxen. I'll get it folding when I do ;-)
nice. always good to fill an empty slot with a folding GPU
 
Back
Top