Group Policy Headache

vinhx76

n00b
I can't seem to understand why I cannot apply a group policy under Computer Configuration. I am able to apply anything under the User Configuration like folder redirection and desktop redirection and login script, but nothing works under Computer Configuration like Port exception. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I am setting read and apply policy security.

vinhx76 said:
I am applying it to a group that I have created

Is it a user based group or a PC based croup. That will make the difference.

I don't know, how do you specified that it is a computer based group? Group type: Security or Distribution.

And under Group scope, what is the difference between Domain, Global and Universal.

vinhx76 said:
I don't know, how do you specified that it is a computer based group? Group type: Security or Distribution.

And under Group scope, what is the difference between Domain, Global and Universal.

what kind of objects are in the group, pcs or users? what OU is the policy acting on?

I have 3 OU's:

1) Users
2) Computers
3) Groups

Under the User's OU, I have a list of all the domain users.

Under the Computer OU, I have all the Pc's in the Domain.

Under the groups OU, I have several groups from printing rights to mapping Z drive.

I want to create a Group Policy to open port 5000 for VNC on all my PC's in my domain whcih is under Computer OU, how do I do this?

If your using the group policy management console.

- right click the computers OU that you want to apply the GP to, there should be an option "link a GPO" (or something along those lines) and then direct it to the GPO you created..

I usually name my GPO's accordingly:>

1.0 - Computers - RedirectedFolders
1.0 - Computers - SecuritySettings
1.0 - Users - RedirectedFolders
1.0 - Users - SecuritySettings
1.0 - Domain - PasswordSettings
1.0 - Domain - DisabledServices

When I update GPO's I give them a descriptive name....1.1 - Domain - DisabledServices.

Its easier to revert back to the previous GPO if anything bad happens, and when checking gpresult results, tells you what GPO is applied

Back