Grim Dawn Kickstarter

I also like how this game has already been in development. The developer realized they needed help and KS has given them the ability to ask for the money they need to release a game they can be proud of, not a game which is half baked.

Why not? Half the people in this thread troll the pre-order/DLC threads?

I would say the difference is that with DLC particularly, we don't really have much direct control over whether or not DLC is made. I guess if somehow no one bought DLC it might go away, but I still doubt it.

With Kickstarter, if no one donates, it doesn't happen. Period.

I just don't understand what the problem is with people supporting nostalgic games that would probably never be made otherwise. If you don't like these types of games then don't donate. If your argument is that these will somehow drive games to be developed via Kickstarter...again, who cares? Either you kick in $15 for essentially a "pre-order" or you pay $60 or whatever the game is when it's released. It really doesn't make a difference to you either way.

Because a year ago, those nostalgic games didn't need a greedy Kickstarter bandwagon to jump on to get made. They were STILL getting made.

Because a year ago, those nostalgic games didn't need a greedy Kickstarter bandwagon to jump on to get made. They were STILL getting made.

The most funded games weren't being made. Are you still going, really?

Wait....indie devs have been churning out turn based isometric open world post apocalyptic rpgs?! Please post some links so I can buy them right now! :rolleyes:

Please list all these indie games which came out a year ago so that we may compare them to what Grim Dawn and Wasteland 2 are promising.

LOL Thanks...

Arthur Bruno and I have Been talking and I will tell you all that man has a Great vision and It allready in Pre apha stage PLAY WAY BETTER THAN D3.. plain and simple.

So you consider VVVVVV and Grim Dawn to be equal? You're kidding, right?

Unfinished games are equal to nothing until they're actually released. How are you supposed to compare real, actual games with something that only exists within an internet hype machine?

Edit: comparing the quality of random indie games is pointless. My point was that there have been plenty of awesome indie and small publisher games out within the last year that never needed this Kickstarter fad.

Yeah whatever, keep labeling me a troll because I'm not jumping on the bandwagon like a mindless lemming like the rest of you. In the next year or so when Kickstarter games you funded either come out and prove to be shit or never come out at all, you'll understand. If you think this isn't the inevitable future of a lot of these games, you're delusional.

Meanwhile, the Kickstarter games that come out that are actually good will still be purchasable with zero risk, and probably be in Steam sales for $10 or less quite frequently anyway.

If Kickstarter didn't exist, Grim Dawn either would still be released ("where there's a will, there's a way") or it won't (in which case, it probably didn't deserve to be anyway.)

It is absolutely amazing that you think a game with a 2 million dollar budget is going to come out the same as a game done completely on the side. KS promises to let Indie games to hit whole new levels of awesome.

The more I look at the info, and the video, the better the game looks.

Last edited:
The more I look at the info, and the video, the better the game looks.

I know right? The alpha gameplay video looks fantastic. Certainly doesn't look "indie" by any stretch of the imagination. These guys are professional developers and you can see that reflected in the WIP.

Based on my own judgements of the developer's past history working at Iron Lore, the work done on Titan Quest and the current progress of Grim Dawn, I can confidently say I am glad I could contribute to the development and in that process, secure a copy of the game for a paltry $18. All the while, I have avoided the grim dawn of feeling like a "lemming" :p

I know right? The alpha gameplay video looks fantastic. Certainly doesn't look "indie" by any stretch of the imagination. These guys are professional developers and you can see that reflected in the WIP.

Based on my own judgements of the developer's past history working at Iron Lore, the work done on Titan Quest and the current progress of Grim Dawn, I can confidently say I am glad I could contribute to the development and in that process, secure a copy of the game for a paltry $18. All the while, I have avoided the grim dawn of feeling like a "lemming" :p

The game is ALREADY AMAZING! I wouldnt call it a Pre Alpha at all its More a Beta by far AND it played WAY better than D3 at the time the Public Beta went up .LOL and ALLREADY LOOKS better. Im in with the 100% and I Put in 100$ and willKeep Upping my donation Because Arthur is a Great guy and he deserves it. AND WE DESERVE A GREAT GAME! :)

Legends of Grimrock is a game that in my view both proves and disproves the argument on this page. Its been produced without any KS, so it got there on its own funding, and it has received a heap of positive praise - GOTY for some people. But on the flipside (for me), its not as good as people are saying it is (fine though it is) - its getting the GOTY tag because its the first time a game like that has been produced in ages - as rare as rocking horse s!&t. The hope is that KS can bring some of those into play.

I almost made a new thread and saw this one was already open, I backed this game right away and I have to say the updates they are putting up look amazing! They have a solid game going I just hope they get the support they deserve and make this the best game it can be!

Look at it this way: You can kick in $15 to 4 Kickstarter campaigns, and even if all but one fails you are still getting one game for $60, which is no different than buying a game at release anyway.

Best case scenario, you get 4 games for $15 apiece. Worst case, somehow all of them fail and you get nothing. I think the worst case is incredibly unlikely, though.

This is my approach. Grim Dawn, WL2, Shadowrun, and (game TDB). I'm hoping at least one or more is a decent success. As much as I want good games, I'm also rooting for this alternative movement to succeed to a decent degree.

There are new pledge rewards listed, I switched to the $48 option after I recruited a friend.

http://www.grimdawn.com/images/kickstarterchart.jpg

Sidetracking rant:
I'd like to see Kickstarter get rid of the radio buttons for rewards, because things are getting needlessly complicated as more goodies are added to projects due to demand. I've seen several projects where you have to add up your own total, then the project creator has to go thru the trouble of contacting each pledger to find out what they want.

There are new pledge rewards listed, I switched to the $48 option after I recruited a friend.

http://www.grimdawn.com/images/kickstarterchart.jpg

Sidetracking rant:
I'd like to see Kickstarter get rid of the radio buttons for rewards, because things are getting needlessly complicated as more goodies are added to projects due to demand. I've seen several projects where you have to add up your own total, then the project creator has to go thru the trouble of contacting each pledger to find out what they want.

Dang that chart certain makes it look like whoever gets stuck handling that is going to have quite a project on their hands just to organize all the rewards :p

Hah, you should have seen Steve Jackson's Ogre. A fan created calculator was virtually a must for figuring out what you were getting and how much to pledge extra. Since those are all products being shipped, it'll be a real nightmare to get everything boxed correctly.

I'm hoping Grim Dawn spikes over the closing days to hit these stretch goals.

I'm convincing a co-worker to jump in with me to get the $78 tier for alpha & beta access & expansion.

It'd be really nice if they reached the $425k stretch goal.
•Three large, high-level dungeons, each with its own theme and named hero monster. The dungeon entrances will randomly appear in the world.

SWEET!

Woohoo!!

They've reached $428k!

[UNLOCKED] $425k - Three large, high-level dungeons, each with its own theme and named hero monster. The dungeon entrances will randomly appear in the world.
• $450k - Savage two-handed melee weapons (includes animations and all the art required to create an entirely new item type)
• $465k - Additional end-game boss (total of 3) to encounter in some dark and dangerous corner of the world.
• $480k - New survivor town hidden in the remote wilderness for you to discover. Will include a new faction group and new quest-lines to unlock once you've gained their trust.

Show your support guys!

6 hours left on the clock and the project is just about to break the $500,000 mark! The original target was $280,000

Diablo 3 got ya down? THERE IS HOPE!

Stretch goals:
  • [UNLOCKED] $350k - Dual wielding pistols (feature tech and new animation set)
  • [UNLOCKED] $360k - 25 extra pieces of unique item art
  • [UNLOCKED] $375k - Additional end-game boss monster (total of 2) lurking somewhere out there in the darkness for you to find...
  • [UNLOCKED] $385k - 25 more pieces of unique item art
  • [UNLOCKED] $400k - A new environment set that you'll get to decide on. We'll create a thread on the Grim Dawn forums to discuss ideas with fans, then select the best ideas and create a poll for you to vote the one you want most.
  • [UNLOCKED] $412k - 2 additional monster types (models and animations)
  • [UNLOCKED] $425k - Three large, high-level dungeons, each with its own theme and named hero monster. The dungeon entrances will randomly appear in the world.
  • [UNLOCKED] $450k - Savage two-handed melee weapons (includes animations and all the art required to create an entirely new item type)
  • [UNLOCKED] $465k - Additional end-game boss (total of 3) to encounter in some dark and dangerous corner of the world.
  • [UNLOCKED]$480k - New survivor town hidden in the remote wilderness for you to discover. Will include a new faction group and new quest-lines to unlock once you've gained their trust.
  • [UNLOCKED]$480.5k - New and higher-quality developer beer, as requested by many after the sad beer in Update #10. Surely this will help enhance the quality of all our work!
  • $490k - 2 additional monster types (models and animations) and another 25 extra pieces of unique item art
  • $500k - A new dungeon art-set with a choice of catacombs or sewers that you'll get to vote on.
  • $520k - SURVIVAL MODE! We'll create a new gameplay mode that will be free for all backers (KS or Website Pre-order). In survival mode players will fight to stay alive against increasingly difficult waves of monsters. It will release sometime after the game so as not to delay development.

Aww, fuck it, I threw in my $18. I was gonna hold off on this but it just sounds too awesome.

Back