Grim Dawn Kickstarter

Look at it this way: You can kick in $15 to 4 Kickstarter campaigns, and even if all but one fails you are still getting one game for $60, which is no different than buying a game at release anyway.

Best case scenario, you get 4 games for $15 apiece. Worst case, somehow all of them fail and you get nothing. I think the worst case is incredibly unlikely, though.

What? If the kickstarter doesn't achieve the required fund you won't get charged anything. So you won't be paying 60 dollars for one game.
 
What? If the developers drop the game you won't get charged anything. There is no worst case scenario.

Oh really? I thought you only didn't get charged if the Kickstarter didn't reach the goal.

I guess the "worst case", in that case, is that all the games suck. But you only paid 1/4 of retail price for them anyway so again, no biggie.
 
Oh really? I thought you only didn't get charged if the Kickstarter didn't reach the goal.

I guess the "worst case", in that case, is that all the games suck. But you only paid 1/4 of retail price for them anyway so again, no biggie.

edited but too late. But it's basically the same thing, I mean what are the chances of them dropping the game when they already got the money? It motivates them too.
 
The only way they make actual profit is by getting the game to the market. Kickstarted funds typically all go into game development, not into the dev's coffers.
 
This might be the first Kickstarter I go for. There's already development history and a known entity behind the game, which makes the risk seem relatively low. At the worst, I could see a shortened/reduced game being released vs nothing at all.

While I never picked up Titan's Quest, that was more due to my backlog than what I thought of the game. Grim Dawn looks good so far, and $18 isn't too steep for the cost of entry. They are already over 1/3 the way to their goal with a month left too.
 
Im still gonna get D3, but this is going to get at least $18 from me no matter what now.
 
I can only imagine how people would be rightfully complaining if this Kickstarter phenomenon was around 5 years ago and a game like, say, Duke Nukem Forever had been tossed in the mix. And with the development problems that DNF always had, I find it highly likely that it would've ended up being a Kickstarter thing if that had been a thing back then.

You guys are gonna get suckered, and when it finally happens, I'll be here...laughing my ass off.

Do you forget that with crowd-sourced funding there's no one to make decisions for them?

edit:
I don't put much stock in proven hits from developers we already know. After all, just look at shit like Dragon Age 2, RAGE, and the Call of Duty series. At this point, as far as I'm concerned, a developer's previous hits don't even matter. I will not put faith in any company or developer until I see the finished product. Period.

It seems you do forget that there are publishers making decisions for the developers.
 
Last edited:
We get it. You don't like Kick Starter. Kindly piss off. If people want to spend money on it it should be no concern of yours. You don't need to troll threads.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think pretty much any kickstarter donation is a safer investment than pre-ordering Max Payne 3.
 
I think pretty much any kickstarter donation is a safer investment than pre-ordering Max Payne 3.

Oh don't get me started on the numerous issues I have with that game simply existing, much less with the direction Rockstar seems to be taking the series.
 
Oh don't get me started on the numerous issues I have with that game simply existing, much less with the direction Rockstar seems to be taking the series.


The pre-order bonuses alone are enough to make me want to kick my desk over in anger at how badly the publisher based industry is sinking.
 
Last edited:
Stupid Wasteland 2? That is like, you know, your opinion. :rolleyes:

Also, if you're going to troll and insult people, at least get your facts straight, so you don't come out like a complete tool.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
No it isn't an investment, but the whole risk calculation thing works the same because it works much like an investment: You share in the gains, and the losses. You decide if the rewards they are offering are worth the money they want, and balance it against the risk of them delivering (and delivering something you like).

What's obvious to me is that gamers are willing to spend money in this way, and that developers are interested in it because it lets them do more of what they please, they don't have to do as a publisher wants. So long as enough fans think it is a good enough idea to fund it, then there you go.

You are just extremely hateful towards it for some reason. That you don't like it is fine, that you want to hate on it in every KS thread is not. It gets real old real fast. As I said, not everyone is risk averse. Not everyone has a problem throwing some money at things they'd like to see.

So please: Shoo. go play somewhere else. Stop shitting on the KS threads.

P.S. DoubleFine Adventure was the first big KS project (bigger than WL2) and what really sent interest in it way up.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Damn do people get mad if you say one wrong thing about kickstarter.

Like I said, ill buy it when its released.
 
Damn do people get mad if you say one wrong thing about kickstarter.

Like I said, ill buy it when its released.

It's one thing for a person to express concern about Kick Starter and something entirely different when that person insults everyone that uses.
 
They've been working on this project for a while but got absolutely nowhere with it. Kickstarter might save them, so I guess they dragged their feet long enough.
 
why? I think thats a good thing why do you think its bad?

It's just a bad approach to game development imo. Shoehorning in all this multiplayer crap because publishers have completely lost touch with gamers and fans of max payne in particular.

They've been working on this project for a while but got absolutely nowhere with it. Kickstarter might save them, so I guess they dragged their feet long enough.


Yeah I was kinda thinking the same thing, but he does a pretty good job of defending it. He and like 2 other guys are having to work on it in their spare time so he admits sure at this rate we might see the game 5 years from now but if he can raise enough dough to work on it full time we could see it in a year or less. Making this ironically a better bet than any other kickstarter since the developments already going they just need to buy time to finish it essentially.
 
Last edited:
Does anyone else feel this whole Kickstarter thing is going to implode when the investors have to face the harsh realities of delayed games, buggy titles, and poor quality end products?

I think the Wasteland 2 thing was where I stopped. When they raised 2.1 million, they brought in Obsidian. I didn't want them to bring in Obsidian (who has a generally poor tquality rack record and a mile of excuses...)
 
I think the concept of kickstarter is cool - but just like everything else that was created to be cool/awesome/utopian it will eventually be abused and taken advantage of.

Would I do it? probably not. It's funny to see the people getting their panties in a wad though because someone on the internet disagrees with them.

Only thing I really think is that the guy bragging about buying an 80 dollar tooth brush, that's just tacky. As if the amount of money you have to blow on a toothbrush in any way relates to gaming.
 
Does anyone else feel this whole Kickstarter thing is going to implode when the investors have to face the harsh realities of delayed games, buggy titles, and poor quality end products?

Indeed -- we all know the rage each of us has felt when we find out the next big title we have hoped and dreamed for are pushed back 6 months or "until it's done". And this is without risking any money (yes you can preorder but you can get that money back)

I fully believe that smaller studios that don't have a corporate dick up their ass are able to churn out better games eventually. I don't know the ins and outs of kickstarter but if I can easily see a situation where there might be 100,000 people donating money and after repeated slips in release or progress suddenly you are one guy with 100,000 pissed off nerds at you. That will make anyones life much more difficult.
 
At least when I pre-order a game, I'm guranateed to get it on release...unlike Kickstarter.
 
What do people get out of trolling every damn kickstarter thread?

If you don't like it don't donate and most importantly STFU and go play COD or BF3 or some other crap. :rolleyes:
 
What do people get out of trolling every damn kickstarter thread?

If you don't like it don't donate and most importantly STFU and go play COD or BF3 or some other crap. :rolleyes:

Agreed. If you don't like Kickstarter that's fine, but don't come in here saying everyone is stupid and wasting their money.
 
Agreed. If you don't like Kickstarter that's fine, but don't come in here saying everyone is stupid and wasting their money.

Why not? Half the people in this thread troll the pre-order/DLC threads?
 
Why not? Half the people in this thread troll the pre-order/DLC threads?

Yeah I love it when people are quick to judge/flame/hate on others but when someone says something against their personal preferences/opinions they go apeshit and tell them to GTFO.
 
At least when I pre-order a game, I'm guranateed to get it on release...unlike Kickstarter.

Atleast when I donate to kickstarter I have a chance of getting something original.

What are my pre-order choices today? Darksiders II? God of war 5 1/2? Modern warfare 33 1/3? ooo maybe Gears of war 4? Resident evil 6? I hope they come with discounted map packs that would be sweet!

/troll

Look nobody is donating to kickstarter purely to boycott. We're literally putting our money down on games we can't get any where else. Grim Dawn was rejected by publishers despite Titan Quest being a massive success. Fuck would you like us to do? You think fans haven't written letters begging publishers to put this stuff out?

I gave doublefine money because I wanted a fucking adventure game. Same goes for any of these titles. This isn't snobbery this is paying for games I want.
 
Last edited:
Agreed. If you don't like Kickstarter that's fine, but don't come in here saying everyone is stupid and wasting their money.

Just like the DRM trends and DLC trends, if you keep shelling out, then every game is going to start jumping on the bandwagon. I don't want a world where every indie game requires us to pay up before the game's even finished. You guys are exacerbating the trend here. :rolleyes:

But maybe it'll work itself out though...all these projects jumping on this stupid bandwagon, then a couple start falling through and internet nerds start getting pissed off...maybe the situation will resolve itself.

I'd just like to point out that Kickstarter not being a thing this time last year didn't keep awesome indie games like Bastion or Terraria from coming out. So why is it suddenly so necessary now? :rolleyes:
 
Theres nothing wrong with caution but I list Grim Dawn, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun as guarantees. All three are from professionals. Grim Dawn is already partially complete. From the kickstarter it looks like you're just paying to speed up the schedule and I have no qualms with that.

All three of these have already licensed their IP's and laid groundwork on Art, story, and engine.

The voice of reason. I'm sure there is plenty of trash out there or will be out there, but it doesn't take away from the devs who have a solid footing. Those projects are a smart investment.
 
They're NOT investments, people. They're not. You're not getting a return on your money. You might get a game. At best, it will be a good one.
 
They're NOT investments, people. They're not. You're not getting a return on your money. You might get a game. At best, it will be a good one.

for $15 on launch day.

I look at it as supporting something that I like to do.

Just like the DRM trends and DLC trends, if you keep shelling out, then every game is going to start jumping on the bandwagon. I don't want a world where every indie game requires us to pay up before the game's even finished. You guys are exacerbating the trend here. :rolleyes:

But maybe it'll work itself out though...all these projects jumping on this stupid bandwagon, then a couple start falling through and internet nerds start getting pissed off...maybe the situation will resolve itself.

:

:rolleyes:

Then don't fucking donate. I don't know what to tell you dude. WTF are you losing. Most ot these games are games that you would have never have seen otherwise. Just go back to playing BF3 or whatever.

I'd just like to point out that Kickstarter not being a thing this time last year didn't keep awesome indie games like Bastion or Terraria from coming out. So why is it suddenly so necessary now? :rolleyes

Yeah, those were awesome high budget titles, right? I'm happy to see some quality pc first RPGs coming. Maybe you aren't interested in those types of games. I don't care.

I gave doublefine money because I wanted a fucking adventure game. Same goes for any of these titles. This isn't snobbery this is paying for games I want.

Exactly how I feel.
 
Last edited:
Then don't fucking donate. I don't know what to tell you dude. WTF are you losing. Most ot these games are games that you would have never have seen otherwise. Just go back to playing BF3 or whatever.

Keep telling yourself that. Like I said before, the lack of Kickstarter last year didn't keep "games I would never have seen otherwise" (supposedly) from being made, so why is it necessary now?

Yeah, those were awesome high budget titles, right? I'm happy to see some quality pc first RPGs coming. Maybe you aren't interested in those types of games. I don't care.

Maybe you should define "high budget" then, because nothing on Kickstarter is high budget either. And it's wrong to call a game that hasn't been completed yet a "high quality" game - you're merely falling for the hype. It's not a good game until it's done.
 
Keep telling yourself that. Like I said before, the lack of Kickstarter last year didn't keep "games I would never have seen otherwise" (supposedly) from being made, so why is it necessary now?

Yeah, that flood of pc first games that I played last year was great! :rolleyes:

Maybe you should define "high budget" then, because nothing on Kickstarter is high budget either. And it's wrong to call a game that hasn't been completed yet a "high quality" game - you're merely falling for the hype. It's not a good game until it's done.

IDK, a 3 million dollar budget like Wasteland 2 isn't exactly low budget either.

I don't know what to tell you dude. Why the fuck do you care so much or are you just trolling? You've made your point, move on. Right now you're just coming off as a troll. You have more posts in this thread than anyone else.
 
I own terreria and Bastion, played both for a total of maybe 2 hours. The 3 games I have donated to on kicksatarter are games I want to play. I probably wouldn't play grim dawn or wasteland 2 in whatever form they were to take without additional funding.

Kickstarting a game means I will
A) Get a game for $15
B) Help make the game much better then it could ever hope to be without the funding kickstarter provides.

If you guys want to play pixelated indie games, go right ahead, I want indie games that play AND look great.
 
Bastion didn't play and look great? I don't think you've really played Bastion. It was hardly pixelated crap.

And again, Kickstartering a game does NOT mean you will get a game for $15. You MIGHT get a game for $15. That game MIGHT be good.
 
Bastion didn't play and look great? I don't think you've really played Bastion. It was hardly pixelated crap.

And again, Kickstartering a game does NOT mean you will get a game for $15. You MIGHT get a game for $15. That game MIGHT be good.

While the studio that did Bastion was indie, the game was published by Warner Bros.
 
All I know is that I've pledged my $18 and look forward to playing Grim Dawn at release :cool:

Would be nice if the thread got back on topic. This is about the Grim Dawn kickstarter.. Not a general thread about if you think kickstarter or indie games are good or bad.

Daggah, you'd probably feel more at home in this thread.
 
They're NOT investments, people. They're not. You're not getting a return on your money. You might get a game. At best, it will be a good one.

It's not an investment in the old stock market sense. Certainly not. But it IS an investment nevertheless. Money isn't the only thing people expect when they invest. I invest in my kids' life for example.


Daggah, are you trying to make a video game or something? You seem to have a chip on your shoulder with an axe to grind. I don't think this will hurt indie devs.
 
Does anyone else feel this whole Kickstarter thing is going to implode when the investors have to face the harsh realities of delayed games, buggy titles, and poor quality end products?

I think the Wasteland 2 thing was where I stopped. When they raised 2.1 million, they brought in Obsidian. I didn't want them to bring in Obsidian (who has a generally poor tquality rack record and a mile of excuses...)
By brought in Obsidian, they mean one guy from Obsidian team helping out with a story for one location. Obsidian will not be doing any coding what so ever, at all. They might give inXile some assets to work with, but that's about it.
 
Back
Top