Grim Dawn Kickstarter

mr_zen256

2[H]4U
Well, it had to happen! The old devs of Titan Quest have jumped on the kickstarter bandwagon for the spiritual successor to their classic ARPG.

Grim Dawn is an action role-playing game for PC and a spiritual successor to Titan Quest. For the past two years a small team of former Iron Lore veterans at Crate Entertainment have been developing Grim Dawn with their own, improved version of the Iron Lore engine and tools; the same technology used to create Titan Quest.

Kickstarter link

This is probably the first kickstarter I'll actually support. It is how I imagined a sequel to D2 looking.

$18 now? What's wrong with $15 like everyone else? FUCKERS ARE GETTING GREEDY.

</partial sarcasm>

This looks way better than D3 to me. I might try to scrape up enough to put $18 down.

I'll be in for this one as well. I'm at my limit tho. Have done wasteland 2, shadowrun and will do this one and PoE as well. Hope any other good projects take some time before they come out.

Considering this game is already in development, it'd be nice to see some sort of alpha or beta access for your donation.

EDIT: Looks like you only get beta access for $35 minimum. Kinda lame.

Last edited:
Oh this is good news indeed - after being a huge fan of TQ and watching the progress of this on the old TQ forums, this is just excellent.

TQ was pretty fun, so might jump on this one too.

Gonna suck if all the kickstarter games I supported will ship all at once, lol.

EDIT: Looks like you only get beta access for $35 minimum. Kinda lame.
It was $75 for Wasteland 2.

What's more lame, IMO, is the boxed copy at $100 minimum. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It sounds good. I'd like to see these KS programs come to fruition though, before I start handing out cash. There have been quite a few startups lately.

Ahh snap!

The return of the Action RPG is upon us folks, Grim Dawn + Diablo 3 + Path of Exile

:eek:

Wow, another one worth backing for me. Loved TQ and its expansion. Kickstarter is my new Steam sale for the moment.

10 Orens for you and safe passage across the bridge for my friend and I!.

I can only imagine how people would be rightfully complaining if this Kickstarter phenomenon was around 5 years ago and a game like, say, Duke Nukem Forever had been tossed in the mix. And with the development problems that DNF always had, I find it highly likely that it would've ended up being a Kickstarter thing if that had been a thing back then.

You guys are gonna get suckered, and when it finally happens, I'll be here...laughing my ass off.

I supported them two years ago with a 25$ donation and I'm still waiting haha. Game does look good though and I hope they do get it off the ground.

I supported them two years ago with a 25$ donation and I'm still waiting haha. Game does look good though and I hope they do get it off the ground.

Yeah, I thought about it a while back now. I can't say no now. I had to throw them $20. I've been really excited for this game for a while now.

I can only imagine how people would be rightfully complaining if this Kickstarter phenomenon was around 5 years ago and a game like, say, Duke Nukem Forever had been tossed in the mix. And with the development problems that DNF always had, I find it highly likely that it would've ended up being a Kickstarter thing if that had been a thing back then.

You guys are gonna get suckered, and when it finally happens, I'll be here...laughing my ass off.

Eh, people are getting suckered for $60 all day with games these days. I'll take my chances with $20 on the people that I know made games that I loved and don't have a big studio pushing the agenda.

Hmm..everyone now just throws money randomly for games that might get made? Less than 50% of projects on that site are actually successful. I don't think its a bad idea, but I can smell abuse of this miles away.

The same people giving money here are ok with pirating games from others(such as EA). Interesting to say the least.

If this game does actually come out, ill be getting it right away and maybe support their next project if they decide to do a sequel, but I just don't trust that yet.

Hmm..everyone now just throws money randomly for games that might get made? Less than 50% of projects on that site are actually successful. I don't think its a bad idea, but I can smell abuse of this miles away.

The same people giving money here are ok with pirating games from others(such as EA). Interesting to say the least.

If this game does actually come out, ill be getting it right away and maybe support their next project if they decide to do a sequel, but I just don't trust that yet.

:rolleyes:

This game has been in the works for a couple of years now and I've been following its progress. Its being made by a developer who developed a game that I love, Titan Quest which also has a large fanbase.

I will gladly throw them $20 if it goes to help make a game that I've been looking forward to for a while now.

Sounds to me like you need better things to look forward to.

Eh, people are getting suckered for $60 all day with games these days. I'll take my chances with $20 on the people that I know made games that I loved and don't have a big studio pushing the agenda.

:)

I agree

Lotta kickstarter trolls seem to be the same people shelling out $15 for CoD map packs.

If we end up being scammed for the $15-50, our bad. If not, fuck off and make something of your life.

Started a thread about kickstarter campaigns potentially being abused by scammers here. The discussion made some interesting points.

I guess you just have to go with your gut and support the projects and individuals you have faith in. Sure, there's always an element of risk, but the potential payoff is hard to ignore :)

Just gotta ask yourself, "Do you feel lucky punk? Well, do ya?"..

shelling out $15 for CoD map packs.

This. Not to mention, I trust the developers behind these kickstarter projects far more than I trust any major publisher atm. I'm ten times as likely to give Brian Fargo $100 than I am to give EA $10.

Lotta kickstarter trolls seem to be the same people shelling out $15 for CoD map packs.

If we end up being scammed for the $15-50, our bad. If not, fuck off and make something of your life.

I've never shelled out $15 for a CoD map pack in my life. But at least those who do are actually paying for a product that's, you know, been released.

^This Kickstarter thing is really no different than pre-order. I really don't get the hate from some people.

So you don't pre-order games then either?

I've made my opposition to preordering very well known on this forum I think. The only time I have ever pre-ordered a game is if a demo comes out and I like the demo, and even then I'm really only committing to the preorder a day or two in advance. That's happened once, with Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

I'm glad they started a kickstarter, hopefully they reach their goal. I Pre-ordered the legendary edition a couple months ago, pledged $52 more to get me to the $100 level.

I've made my opposition to preordering very well known on this forum I think. The only time I have ever pre-ordered a game is if a demo comes out and I like the demo, and even then I'm really only committing to the preorder a day or two in advance. That's happened once, with Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

You still bought into a new IP from a fairly unproven studio before it was released. At least with quite a few of these kickstarters, we have large strings of hits from the devs, much like the Wasteland 2 situation.

And what happened? KoA ended up fairly boring.

Theres nothing wrong with caution but I list Grim Dawn, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun as guarantees. All three are from professionals. Grim Dawn is already partially complete. From the kickstarter it looks like you're just paying to speed up the schedule and I have no qualms with that.

All three of these have already licensed their IP's and laid groundwork on Art, story, and engine.

You still bought into a new IP from a fairly unproven studio before it was released. At least with quite a few of these kickstarters, we have large strings of hits from the devs, much like the Wasteland 2 situation.

I don't put much stock in proven hits from developers we already know. After all, just look at shit like Dragon Age 2, RAGE, and the Call of Duty series. At this point, as far as I'm concerned, a developer's previous hits don't even matter. I will not put faith in any company or developer until I see the finished product. Period.

And what happened? KoA ended up fairly boring.

I feel like I got my money's worth out of it. /shrug

Theres nothing wrong with caution but I list Grim Dawn, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun as guarantees. All three are from professionals. Grim Dawn is already partially complete. From the kickstarter it looks like you're just paying to speed up the schedule and I have no qualms with that.

All three of these have already licensed their IP's and laid groundwork on Art, story, and engine.

Agreed. Its not about randomly throwing money at any projects, but its about putting money into the projects that we honestly believe will be a success.

In fact, I personally believe Grim Dawn and Wasteland 2 will be much better than many $60 AAA titles out there which were build upon generic formula we see in so many titles already, health regeneration, first person perspective, etc.

I see no harm in kickstarter projects like this. It obvious that these developers are very serious about making this game.

For me personally, I have already pledged my money to POE. As much as I loved TQ, I really don't see the need in investing my money into another action RPG. I wish them luck though.

Ok seriously people: If you don't like Kickstarter because you are a rick averse person that's 100% fine. Don't use it. However please shut the fuck up about that! Seriously the whining about it being a "scam" in every KS thread is annoying. No, it isn't. It's a system for funding projects. Is there a risk? You bet there is. People decide if they are willing to take that risk and if they are, cool, if not, also cool.

Whining about it all the time is not doing anyone any favours and just makes you look silly. It would be like if any time someone asked for advice about buying mutual or index funds you cried about how you could lose money and should stick to CDs instead. True, CDs are great if you have low risk tolerance. However some people have higher risk tolerance and other financial instruments are good for them.

Same shit with Kickstarter vs preordering vs buying later. Buying a game after it comes out carries a fairly low level of risk. You can read reviews, watch videos, and have a pretty good idea if you will like it and so on, and you know it is a real product. Preordering carries a higher risk. You don't know what the final product will be like, and if you don't like it, tough shit. Also sometimes products aren't delivered (like the original 3DRealms DNF) or are delivered broken (like ToEE). Funding something through Kickstarter, basically very long term preordering, carries the most risk. You don't know what the final product will be, and there is the possibility of no delivery.

As such it is up to each person as to what their risk tolerance is. I will never tell anyone they must or must not participate in Kickstarter, you as an individual have to decide if the risk is acceptable and if it is, how much you are willing to risk. However for many of us, the risk is acceptable.

Hell it isn't like it is that much money to many people. I'm in for a total of about $80 between the 3 projects that have interested me so far (Grim Dawn is not one of them). Big deal. If I lost all that I wouldn't be pleased, but I'd be fine. Hell I just spent more than that on a tooth brush (Philips Sonicare). It really isn't a big deal. I'll risk it for the projects because I would like to see them made.

So please, knock it off with the KS hate in KS threads. You don't like it? Wonderful, don't participate it is 100% voluntary. But don't come and try to be the Harbinger of Doom in every thread. It is silly and gets old.

Also don't act like KS has never had anything work. An example of a successful KS project would be The Adults in the Room, an indy film that was funded via KS and shown at several film festivals. Small project, only $6000, but a simple example of something funded, and made.

Look at it this way: You can kick in $15 to 4 Kickstarter campaigns, and even if all but one fails you are still getting one game for $60, which is no different than buying a game at release anyway.

Best case scenario, you get 4 games for $15 apiece. Worst case, somehow all of them fail and you get nothing. I think the worst case is incredibly unlikely, though.

Back