Griefing in Fallout 76 Turns You into a Wanted Criminal with a Bounty on Your Head

I wonder if they'll (Bethesda) will place the repeat offender griefers on a separate, isolated server? That'd be fun to watch them go at each other. Even more fun when they try to use nukes. Takes teamwork to get the nukes and I'd imagine the griefers wouldn't work too well as a team. Although several griefers could call a truce and team up to go after a person who's really being a total asshole to them all. Oh the irony of it all. :D

I like the idea of the perk card system and only being able to use 15 points per S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Having the ability to change roles anytime during the game is a huge draw for me.

I do know that one of the first places I'll go to is a mountain top to establish a BoO that way I'll have an excellent view of the shenanigans going on down below and a good vantage point for sniping.

I think you greatly underestimate what Griefers are willing to do for their fun.

Here is what some people just don't get. In many games, griefing, when supported at all, is just what highly competitive and often successful players do for end game content. To them, they are not being assholes, they are just enjoying the most challenging part of the game. Lineage 2 took serious work to reach upper tier, and usually a willingness to reach into your pocket for the edge to stay at the top. A clan of players like this who can really work the game mechanics and be successful both with the PvE and PvP components of the game, these are not players who are challenged when it comes to teamwork, exactly the opposite. These are the ones that excel at it.
I'm not saying every little shithead griefer is an awesome top tier gamer, but the good ones are usually the best at it.

Last edited:
Excellent! With the average Fallout player being ... just bad at shooters, this will make it more fun for me. I can be a red star and they will come to me. ;)

I guess there can't be any sort of one-shot weapons in this game then, otherwise this system falls flat on its face.

I guess there can't be any sort of one-shot weapons in this game then, otherwise this system falls flat on its face.

Or, it'll be the typical Fallout bullet sponge mechanics which is why many like myself run the Brutality mod in Survival mode.

I mean that's why I don't play the Division, I love almost everything about the game but I hate the damage mechanics. Mobs with huge hit pools to add difficult isn't fun to me. Going through magazine after magazine, grenades and other skills like turrets just to kill one bad guy. To me that's kiddie gaming and turns me off.

Turn the situation into who shoots first and most accurate and I am pretty happy with it.

The more I think about it the more I expect this game to be just like that, three players have to use specific combinations of skills and chew down mobs with huge hit-point pools. That'll turn me off fast.

I would've silently filtered griefers onto the same server, and on that server the NPCs all have teletubby voices

That's an interesting thought. How do weapons perks work in this situation???

If you're playing an online shooter like Quake or Fortnite or PlayerUnknown's Battlefield of Duty and you shoot someone, the only thing that affects the quality of your aim is latency. Gun damage varies, gun effects vary, but if you shoot someone, you shoot them.

In Fallout 4 it technically isn't you shooting, it's your character. With VATS on you don't even aim; with VATS off the quality of your aim is important, but your character stats and skills still come into the equation. With VATS off you may have actually fulfilled the x,y,mouse requirements to make the hit, but your character's lack of skill RNGs it into a miss. So how does this work in a situation where you're shooting at another player? The foundation of a shooter starts with the twitch skill of the player, so now we're introducing board-game mechanics into a shooter ....

It's probably not important, just something drizzling through my mind.

That's an interesting thought. How do weapons perks work in this situation???

If you're playing an online shooter like Quake or Fortnite or PlayerUnknown's Battlefield of Duty and you shoot someone, the only thing that affects the quality of your aim is latency. Gun damage varies, gun effects vary, but if you shoot someone, you shoot them.

In Fallout 4 it technically isn't you shooting, it's your character. With VATS on you don't even aim; with VATS off the quality of your aim is important, but your character stats and skills still come into the equation. With VATS off you may have actually fulfilled the x,y,mouse requirements to make the hit, but your character's lack of skill RNGs it into a miss. So how does this work in a situation where you're shooting at another player? The foundation of a shooter starts with the twitch skill of the player, so now we're introducing board-game mechanics into a shooter ....

It's probably not important, just something drizzling through my mind.

I'm pretty sure it's been said that VATS is not in this game.

EDIT: Apparently it is, but not as we know it previously: https://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-76-will-have-real-time-vats/

Sounds like some sort of odds-based auto aim?

Sounds like some sort of odds-based auto aim?

No idea, but I'm guessing it's something like that. They said that VATS would be in real time, which seems obvious since the other player is still shooting.

I'm trying to drill down to the core of my negativity about Fallout 76. I know that I'm not angry about the game, any more than I'm angry about PUBG or Fortnite. I guess I'm angry about Bethesda wasting development time on it because I depend on Bethesda to deliver the kind of games I really enjoy. I'm also angry that they made this huge Fallout world without including a solo experience. I'd pay DLC money for a solo-conversion pack.

No idea, but I'm guessing it's something like that. They said that VATS would be in real time, which seems obvious since the other player is still shooting.

I'm trying to drill down to the core of my negativity about Fallout 76. I know that I'm not angry about the game, any more than I'm angry about PUBG or Fortnite. I guess I'm angry about Bethesda wasting development time on it because I depend on Bethesda to deliver the kind of games I really enjoy. I'm also angry that they made this huge Fallout world without including a solo experience. I'd pay DLC money for a solo-conversion pack.

I thought they said you never had to play with other people in this one?

Back