Greatest Game Ever

DoomRulz

Gawd
I have a feeling there have been over a million of these, but what the hell ;)

First things first: I realize that the responses that will follow are SUPER SUBJECTIVE and that's FINE. That's the idea. Tell us what your favourite game is and why. Just a short story or the like, and let's have some fun! :)

Oh, AND NO FLAMING!!!!!! If you disagree with someone else's point(s), do so in a civilized manner please

I'll start the ball rolling.

As my name states, my vote goes to DOOM! Where to begin...hm...

Well personally, DOOM was the first game I EVER played, and it was the sole reason I game today period. I can remember coming home at night from school, sitting down at my desk, writing w/e was necessary in my notebook, not giving a rat's ass about whether or not my answers were correct, then getting on my comp and DOOMing lol :D

Why else does DOOM rule? Well it wasn't the FIRST FPS (Wolfenstein was, and even Ultima Underworld came before that), but it was the one game that put FPS games on the map...even PC gaming for that matter. DOOM was the world's first real MP game, the first game to have mods (Marine Doom is a perfect example, which, I'd like to add, gave rise to military training games like America's Army), the first game to piss off politicians, the first game to scare people to any degree, THE GAME THAT CREATED LAN PARTIES!!!!!!!!!!

What sort of legacy has DOOM left behind? Well besides what I mentioned above, it's the most ported game in history (11 times), it's still the leading poster boy for violence in video games, and it's the most CLONED game in history (in terms of gameplay I mean).

I could go on forever, but I want to hear what other people's favourites are ;)

ROCK ON PEOPLE

Final Fantasy 7

Super Metroid

Super Mario World

I mean, their are so many.... FF7 is the top tho :p

Super Metroid.

No competition, really, as far as I'm concerned. The game was gorgeous, engrossing, thrilling, and above all, absolutely a blast to play and explore. The story arcs, transformations, bosses, enemies, progressions, and discoveries were breathtaking and brilliant.

Totally, totally Halo 2.

Just kidding. :p

I have a hard time pinning a greatest game. Their a very good games in many genres, but I'm not good at comparing them cross genre.

Alright, maybe this will help: greatest game in your opinion. I'm not necessarily talking about pinning down one game from each genre and comparing them. If you wish to do so, go ahead. This is more about your own opinion(s) though.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

When I was 10 I remember just exploring Hyrule and riding around on my horse, warping around to all the places... I probably spent as much time exploring as I did completing the dungeons.

Well, it has to be something by Sid Meier, so I'll go with Pirates!. That game, to me, defined free-form fun on my Commodore 64, and later on the PC. I couldn't tell you the number of hours that game stole from me. Civilization would come in a very close second.

Babbster said:
Well, it has to be something by Sid Meier, so I'll go with Pirates!. That game, to me, defined free-form fun on my Commodore 64, and later on the PC. I couldn't tell you the number of hours that game stole from me. Civilization would come in a very close second.

lol ye man, i remember my brother telling me he once stayed up for 24 hours straight playing Civ II...i was like :eek:

Quake 1 and its expansion packs, then Half Life 1 and the mission packs :D

oldmx

Leisure Suit Larry....... ;)

That or TIE Fighter or Tetris (seriously that is crack)

FPS: Half Life
SImulation: Tie Fighter
RPG: Chrono Trigger
Breakthrough Kick Ass Genre Defining games: Metroid Prime, Zelda: OOT, Metal Gear Solid, GTA3

Right now?

MOH:pacific Assault. The single player is meh but I love the multiplayer online. I play online on a daily basis and have yet to get tired of it.:)

If I had to say perfection, It would be Super Metriod probably

However, Diablo II stole many years of my life, as well as all the other Blizzard PC titles starting with Warcraft II...

Super Metriod for execution
Blizzard games for replayability (Diablo II specifically for me)

FFVII...

- The plot was downright epic
- The story brought you through the entire range of human emotion, and strongly at that
- I have never cared so much for fictional characters as this game made me
- A LOT to do and find... I would say about half the game content is optional and up to you to find
- Some of the best strategy of any game with turn based fighting
- Almost infinitely customizeable weapons and armor using different combinations of materia
- The first time you combined mimic with omnislash... jaw dropping :eek:
- Summons kicked ass!

CodeX said:
FFVII...

- The plot was downright epic
- The story brought you through the entire range of human emotion, and strongly at that
- I have never cared so much for fictional characters as this game made me
- A LOT to do and find... I would say about half the game content is optional and up to you to find
- Some of the best strategy of any game with turn based fighting
- Almost infinitely customizeable weapons and armor using different combinations of materia
- Summons kicked ass!

FF7 wasn't turn based, it had an active battle system :p

mrbay said:
FF7 wasn't turn based, it had an active battle system :p

Well, it was timed, but it was basically turned based with a speed modifier... you know what I mean :p

StarCraft/BroodWars...started playing back in 6th grade, and now I'm a sophomore in college and I still play it from time to time. Spent a lot of my summers playing with my clans on Battle.net...having wars with other clans...ah...those were the days. I was one of the best BGH (yeah, yeah..semi money map but more fun than lost temple imo!) players on West.

The thing with SC/BW that makes me love it so much is the diversity of the three races and how balanced they are. A lot of RTS nowadays or back then basically just used the same units except with a different skin, but SC changed all that back in 97'. The strategiesyou can use with all three are limitless.

FFVII wins... but I thought I would mention Total Annihilation since this game DESERVES an honorable mention

zelda-ok-then-assbag.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Followed closely by The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

:D

FFVIII(Note FF8) great storyline, I fell in love with all the charecters.

MGS series. Just an amazing series.

So many great games but I'd say one of these:

Planescape: Torment

Star Control 2

Warcraft 2

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past

System Shock 2

Tie Fighter
Wing Commander I

They dont make space sims like that anymore

Hero's Quest (Quest for Glory 1)

Xenogears on PS1 was perfection

you named yourself Assbag....lol

In Chrono Trigger my friend changed Lucca's name to Fucca.

Age of Empires 2, This was the first game I played online (against people I didn't know, I did play doom, orginal AOE,and CnC with friends over dialup). After the first day online I didn't play anything else for problay 2-3 years since there was always people to play with, which amazed me at that time. Go Mongols!

The Original X-Wing. I preferred it to Tie Fighter because it was so much more difficult. It took me 3 months to finish and it never got boring. My other gripe about Tie-Fighter was that you didnt fly that many missions in the TIE you got bumped to better ships too quickly. It takes skill to take down a X-Wing in a TIE and come out unscathed.

I remember in XvT one player online could believe I beat him 6-2. I was in a Interceptor he was in a X-wing.

Only the best fly eggshells.

Secret of Mana. Best plot, gameplay, graphics, etc you could have in a game. I've yet to find a game that plays the same.

RuneScape! Oh yeah! Haha I know you are all going to get mad at me but I don't care lol. RuneScape still rocks!

Why is RuneScape so cool? Because of the many people palying it. Becasue of the quests. Because of the frequent upgrades. Because of the diferent skills (combat and non-com). Beacuse of the npcs! RuneScape is the game for me!

AndoOKC1 said:
Tie Fighter
Wing Commander I

They dont make space sims like that anymore

Hero's Quest (Quest for Glory 1)
qft.

X-COM and Civ series as well.

That's a tough call.
I'd have to nominate Street Fighter 2 (Hyper was the best one), Tekken (Tag of course), Half-Life 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Daggerfall, Mario Kart 64, Super Mario Bros. 3, Resident Evil 4, and GTA San Andreas.
If I had to choose an absolute winner...I'd go with SF2.

I can't say just one game after thinking about this. However, IMO...

Multiplayer:

Counter-Strike
Diablo / Diablo 2
Starcraft
Everquest

These 4 all because they were revolutionary in promoting the expansion of gaming on the internet. (There may have been games before this one might consider, but I'm only 20 and these are the games that did it for me.)

Single Player:

Super Mario 3
Secret of Mana
Half-Life / Half-Life 2

You have your Mario, your classic RPG, and your classic FPS.

Thats what I would have to say.

Back