Gray Uniformity Decent?

undertaker2k8

[H]ard|Gawd
Need some objective/subjective opinions here. Background:
1. Had a very uniform U3818DW that I sold few months back to make room for a 48CX, unfortunately the OLED developed a few dead pixels right after I sold my Dell so I got another U3818DW on sale that had great gray uniformity but more BLB than the first.
2. Fast forward a few months and the somewhat apparent trailing artifacts, 60 HZ, no adaptive sync, HDR etc. started bugging me again. Tried a 38GN950 but uniformity was lacking HDR was lack luster so back it went, then got an Acer 382 which seemed and arguably still is great but still had a slight pinkish hue and color temp gradation from left to right that is now starting to bother me..on the bright side it does have Freesync so 55 fps in CP2077 is still acceptable unlike the Dell (which I sold again lol)...and is 75 Hz so is smoother in games that can maintain it on 3080 like Doom Eternal. Also tried the Dell AW3821DW but that has far too many problems like no sRGB, similar uniformity issues if a different pattern and no auto input switching either (going back)!
3. Here is a pic of my Acer with a pic designed to highlight this problem with with 15% gray fullscreen.
4. Am I being too picky here? The place I got the Acer from is OOS so will have to wait before I can try an exchange (no time limits though since it's a big warehouse chain).
5. Holding out some hope for the updated Dell U3821DW to come out soon. Don't think the 48 OLED will work given the size issues I experienced last time (was almost glad that I had to return it due to the dead pixels). I don't know what else to try at this point since I need decent sRGB and freesync in a 38" size ....
6. Why don't more places focus on gray uniformity of large screens? HDR don't do jack if regular workflow images are dirty...
Luckily haven't lost any money (but lots of time) in my quest since I played sales right...

Mostly annoying in office apps, cannot be seen in games / mm use or more solid colors. Screen otherwise has a calibrated deltaE of 1.35, 820 CR and no BLB at all fwiw.

Attachments

• 20201215_132724.jpg
    20201215_132724.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201217_144804.jpg
    20201217_144804.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 0
It does seem annoying to me, but weigh the options. Screens like this generally have flaws and are graded based on number of defects. You're likely to come across some other issue in whatever replaces it. Of course, for the price, I agree that I'd expect it to be better.

I have noticed that LG IPS panels are more lax as far as white uniformity--the AUO AHVA and Innolux panels are better. I'm not sure what the U3821DW is going to be, you'd have to check if it's just a rehashed panel. Either way, I'd wait and try that one out.

Already tried the Alienware 3821dw, it's going back, similar issues and no sRGB and lack of auto input switching are an even bigger headache.

It's either the Acer for the 75/freesync or the Dell 3818dw/Viewsonic VP3881 for the uni. correction. Problem is hard to go back to 60 Hz locked...CP2077 runs often dips to 50s at highest settings on the 3840x1600 res and while the Acer does exhibit some freesync flicker when this happens, still better than the 30 Hz the other screens will do.

Hoping someone comes up with a screen with freesync2 and uniformity comp at this res soon. And working sRGB wouldn't hurt either.

Don't see this as a major issue, plus I find your particular screen pretty uniform considering it's size and that it's a curved screen (would consider panel lottery won if that's the most obvious issue on it). VA panels actually have visible lines on some gray screens, that is much more annoying than this gradual hue (your eyes auto focus on those lines in games while moving the camera around, most noticable on blue skyies, but also walls, etc.). Most apps I now use dark mode on such large screens anyways since I find them blinding otherwise. But can understand how it would be annoying in a premium priced monitor...

Last edited:
Don't see this as a major issue, plus I find your particular screen pretty uniform considering it's size and that it's a curved screen (would consider panel lottery won if that's the most obvious issue on it). VA panels actually have visible lines on some gray screens, that is much more annoying than this gradual hue (your eyes auto focus on those lines in games while moving the camera around, most noticable on blue skyies, but also walls, etc.). Most apps I now use dark mode on such large screens anyways since I find them blinding otherwise. But can understand how it would be annoying in a premium priced monitor...
Thanks , yes no BLB and other issues. Plus 75 hz + freesync is so much better than locked 60 Hz for gaming use...may still try an exchange or two when back in stock coz you know ...🙂

This issue is my main problem when buying a new display. Its honestly a lottery, and it has been this way for as far back as I can remember with TFT monitors. I honestly don't care for HRR or HDR or 100% DCI-P3 coverage, or even perfect out of the box color calibration or zero BLB.

I just want my monitor's white balance to no be visibly varying across the screen. It is incredibly annoying and I've had to return various monitors and TVs in search of the 'least worst' outcome - almost none of them were perfect, sadly.

This issue is my main problem when buying a new display. Its honestly a lottery, and it has been this way for as far back as I can remember with TFT monitors. I honestly don't care for HRR or HDR or 100% DCI-P3 coverage, or even perfect out of the box color calibration or zero BLB.

I just want my monitor's white balance to no be visibly varying across the screen. It is incredibly annoying and I've had to return various monitors and TVs in search of the 'least worst' outcome - almost none of them were perfect, sadly.
I hear you, part of me wished I kept the 3818dw for that reason alone but 60 Hz locked and no freesync is a big bummer..though this acer is still in the top 20% of displays I have tried for white uniformity, the new nano IPS panels are worse especially if they have multiple dimming zones..

Last edited:
Back