• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Graphics Cards Experts I Need your help!

Max Payne

n00b
Joined
Jul 12, 2012
Messages
20
I have an MSI 7950 on water was over clocked and running fine only after 5-10minutes of me setting the power target -50 and downclocking to 150mhz 500mhz the PC shutdown it wasn't even bsod it was like pulling out the power cord from psu.

With numerous tests I concluded that whenever the 6pin PCI power cable is plugged to the left PCI power connector of the card the PC would not even run just a small single blink of power that is enough to slightly make the blades of the rad fans move. while unplugging the left PCI power connector leaving the other power connector (the right one)of the card plugged the pc seems to run normally.

what it seems to me that there is some kind of electric short going on that occurs when the left PCI 6pin connector is plugged with power. the real question is can I or ever fix it? is it something can be fixed? whatever it takes I can do soldering and stuff, is there anyone around here familiar with repairing cards?

I have lost a 7970 a couple of months ago and now this. this makes sad. I have to fix this card. please help.
 
yes I have tried a different PSU and the same thing happens. heck, I even solely connected the card to the PSU. guess that eliminates the chances of the issue being outside of the graphics card.
 
If you lost the 7970 card in the same mainboard then your mainboard or the slot is broken.
 
You havent stated when you now notice it isnt working and how you notice.
Is it before POST, during POST, after POST, during OS loading, after OS loading, when you do something...
What happens?

If it crashes when windows loads, it could be the driver/software setting the card up in a way it doesnt like.
Boot into safe mode, disable CCC from loading on boot (use msconfig).
See if it works now, without CCC loading.
 
Nenu, the entire pc won't run when the card is plugged to the PCI power cables specifically when I plug the left PCI 6pin power connector just a split second power that barely makes an led blink. however disconnecting the left PCI power connecter of the card leaving only the right PCI power plugged the pc runs normally.

my guess is the left PCI 6pin power connector is creating some kind of electrical short when it's plugged with power, repairing the electric short might solve problem. my question is how to do it? is it something that can be done? if any other experienced members thinks electrical short is not the problem please let me know.
 
With just the right connector powering the card, you can get into Windows and use the gfx card as normal?
Do games run ok?

What PSU are you using and how old is it?
what are your PC specs?

Have you tried using the other PCI-E power connector by itself in the right socket to see if there is a fault in that connector/lead/PSU circuit?
 
Don't both power connectors have to be connected to the graphics card for them to even boot? I haven't forgotten to plug a card in for years but I remember they usually display an error message during POST if you don't.

Have you tried the card in another system recently?
 
Don't both power connectors have to be connected to the graphics card for them to even boot? I haven't forgotten to plug a card in for years but I remember they usually display an error message during POST if you don't.

No, modern GPUs will run with just one connector, just not as well or they will crash at high loads. They will be pulling more AMPs though the connector in use so the VRMs will gett hotter.


@OP

Try blowing compressed air into the left connector.

As a last resort you could cut the left connector off, buy a new PCI-e 6 pin connector and solder that on.
 
I meant the rest components of the system runs normally when the pci cables ONLY plugged to the right 6pin power socket (the one closer to the HDDs cage). off course the card won't run when only one cable plugged, my point is the other left 6 pin power socket of the card is creating an electrical short when plugged with pci power cable the entire PSU WON'T RUN and every other component with it.


My specs are
ASUS Rampage formula 3
i7 960
12 gigs 1600mhz of ram
xonar st sound card
Coolermaster Silent Pro Hybrid 1300w PSU
HDDs and SSDs.
The system is fully water cooled
the card is water cooled with swiftech komodo waterblok
 
Also, I have tried running the system with another 7950 that I have, and everything as normal as it should be.
 
@OP

Try blowing compressed air into the left connector.

As a last resort you could cut the left connector off, buy a new PCI-e 6 pin connector and solder that on.
I have tried blowing air on it, but it did not work. I have a dead 7970 laying around I might switch it's 6pin power socket with the 7950.

@Rizen
My warranty is voided it's underwater
 
I have tried blowing air on it, but it did not work. I have a dead 7970 laying around I might switch it's 6pin power socket with the 7950.

@Rizen
My warranty is voided it's underwater
Just swap the air cooler back on. Who's the manufacturer? Some allow aftermarket cooling. If I hadn't abused the card I wouldn't feel bad for RMAing a card that I had changed the cooler on, regardless of the actual warranty policy. The PCI-E power connector shouldn't just die.
 
See how the card performs in another machine.
oh I tried but the same thing happens I'm pretty positive there is an electrical short going on ,on the left 6 pin. unless somebody convince me otherwise. is it something limited to the left pci power socket only though? cause that's what it looks like.
 
Just swap the air cooler back on. Who's the manufacturer? Some allow aftermarket cooling. If I hadn't abused the card I wouldn't feel bad for RMAing a card that I had changed the cooler on, regardless of the actual warranty policy. The PCI-E power connector shouldn't just die.
It's an msi, the sticker that sticks to the screws of the GPU bracket is damaged from what I know that means my warranty is voided.
 
It's an msi, the sticker that sticks to the screws of the GPU bracket is damaged from what I know that means my warranty is voided.
I would contact MSI and see what they say before you try anything permanent and drastic like resoldering a new PCI-E connector on, at the least. Worst case is they say nope and you're at where you are now.
 
oh I tried but the same thing happens I'm pretty positive there is an electrical short going on ,on the left 6 pin. unless somebody convince me otherwise. is it something limited to the left pci power socket only though? cause that's what it looks like.

Could be a blown VRM, are they properly cooled?
I doubt it will be a short as a manufacturing defect would have been present from the start, unless a piece of metal/wire has become lodged somewhere.
Inspect it very closely with a magnifying glass inside/outside the socket and near the VRMs, look for any discolouration as well.
 
It's an msi, the sticker that sticks to the screws of the GPU bracket is damaged from what I know that means my warranty is voided.

No, I'm pretty sure that sticker is only relevant outside the US. If the screws and PCB etc. are still in stock condition you can RMA it straight from the serial number.
 
Could be a blown VRM, are they properly cooled?
I doubt it will be a short as a manufacturing defect would have been present from the start, unless a piece of metal/wire has become lodged somewhere.
Inspect it very closely with a magnifying glass inside/outside the socket and near the VRMs, look for any discolouration as well.
The VRMs and everything on the card is heavily water-cooled, I haven't seen them break the 45C mark, the GPU temps won't even break past the 40C on full load when overclocked
I would contact MSI and see what they say before you try anything permanent and drastic like resoldering a new PCI-E connector on, at the least. Worst case is they say nope and you're at where you are now.
I will contact them and see what will happens but I'm not expecting them to accept it.

@wand3r3r
I'm not in the US, I guess that makes it relevant.
 
Back
Top