Graphics AIB shakeout coming?

spigzone

Limp Gawd
This speculation is based on the following data points.

1. Nvidia's consumer Fermi line launching six+ months after AMD's 5000 series.
2. AMD's saying a refresh of the entire Evergreen line will occur in 2H 2010.
3. The growing likelihood the entire consumer Fermi line sales will be relatively anemic AND brutally profit squeezed from the day they are rolled out to the end of 2010 and possibly well into 2011.
4. Intel's move to incorporate graphics on-chip and AMD's Fusion roadmap/dropped hints indicating it will incorporate Evergreen 2H 2011 and Northern Islands 2H 2012 into it's Fusion solutions ~ over time the low-mid range discrete board market will diminish to multi-monitor buyers.

For Nvidia AIB partners, this is not a rosy profit outlook, to say the least. For those partners highly dependent on Nvidia based boards, such as EVGA and BFG, the outlook is even less rosy.

With a very small profit pie to divide up and little to look forward to, the scrabbling over that pie is going to get messy if not downright poisonous. A major shakeout is almost certain.

Meanwhile over at AMD sales are brisk and profit margins fat and AMD in an excellent position to drop a few marginal AIB partners and pick up one or more of Nvidia's premier partners.

The first that comes to mind is THE Nvidia partner, EVGA. AMD adding EVGA as a partner would be a kidney punch to Nvidia, accomplishing:

1. A vote of non confidence in Nvidia by it's premier and 'special' AIB partner.
2. Legitimizing AMD in the eyes of EVGA brandbois and Nvidia fanbois.
3. Eroding Nvidia's market share in general and it's fanboi marketshare in particular.

EVGA's business is SLI Motherboards (now reduced to the Intel camp) and Nvidia based graphics boards, and neither look to be growing or particularly profitable into the future, that as they watch a contemporary, XFX, immediately bite off a sizeable chunk of AMD's already fat margin graphic board market with their pricier, even fatter profit margin boards.

BFG is also a prime candidate as Nvidia graphics boards ARE it's business.

Bidness is bidness.

AMD adding in one or two premier Nvidia only partners while droppping one or more of their more marginal partners, Diamond and Vision-Tek for example, would be brutal for Nvidia.

Last edited:
What qualifications do you have to claim any of that? Or are you making this up?

Let's put it another way: what can you do or say that will make us more likely to believe this will happen?

Let's put it another way: what can you do or say that will make us more likely to believe this will happen?

It speaks for itself.

If you have nothing on topic to add, pro or con, based on pertinent data and/or reasoning, feel free to ignore.

It's specualtion, but it's somewhat reasonable speculation if you are watching the business side of the industry. No matter how you slice it right now, nVidia is in a tight spot which translates to a tight spot for it's board partners. If you didn't find the sudden migration of XFX shocking, you weren't paying attention to the industry as a whole. Also note the floundering of Diamond, the previously well regarded Visiontek and the new batch of third tier boardmakers like Zotac and Galaxy getting more focus on Newegg. eVGA and BFG are both well regarded by fans due to their excellent warranty and customer service levels, but they need viable products and reasonalbe margins to maintain that boutique reputation. Something that, based on all the info currently available, they cannot get from nVidia.

I'm hopeful nVidia can bounce back with Fermi and it's offsping, guess we will all know soon.

coolstory.jpg

I wouldn't mind if EVGA started producing ATI cards as well as Nvidia cards, but I certainly wouldn't want it to make a full switch and just stop making Nvidia cards.

I couldn't take anything in your post seriously. Camp this, "fanboi" that. I'm surprised that made it through the entire post. You have nothing backing up your claims other than your opinion, which I doubt anybody would take seriously.

I just wish BFG or eVGA would start making ATi cards already. The day one of them makes an ATi card I will buy one.

anyone know what a typical breakdown would be from the partners of low, mid and high end boards? I assume the high end boards are only a small part of their business and Nvidia does have somewhat current 210, 220 and 240 designs.

I couldn't take anything in your post seriously. Camp this, "fanboi" that. I'm surprised that made it through the entire post. You have nothing backing up your claims other than your opinion, which I doubt anybody would take seriously.

wow. that added a lot to the discussion. I'm glad I read the whole thing, seriously.

anyone know what a typical breakdown would be from the partners of low, mid and high end boards? I assume the high end boards are only a small part of their business and Nvidia does have somewhat current 210, 220 and 240 designs.

wow. that added a lot to the discussion. I'm glad I read the whole thing, seriously.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.
These companies are there for money. There are no "camps" and do you honestly think they care about customer loyalty? It comes down to the money. The "camps" are figments of peoples imagination and the only thing these companies look at are their market share and their bottom line.

Nothing wrong with specualtion. The OP clearly shows how he slants, but even Kyle has posted he thinks a shakeup is coming.

You make some good points. But nevertheless it is still speculation.

Last edited:
I'm glad you enjoyed it.
These companies are there for money. There are no "camps" and do you honestly think they care about customer loyalty? It comes down to the money. The "camps" are figments of peoples imagination and the only thing these companies look at are their market share and their bottom line.

What do you think people mean when they speak of 'camps'?

Last edited:
There was a very good video with the President of EVGA talking about quality parts/service to build customer loyalty. Seems to be working for them. ;)

If I'm not mistaken Kyle did mention something about XFX not going to have any more Nvidia cards soon. Won't be surprised if a shakeout does happen as spigzone mentioned.

Also note the floundering of Diamond, the previously well regarded Visiontek and the new batch of third tier boardmakers like Zotac and Galaxy getting more focus on Newegg. eVGA and BFG are both well regarded by fans due to their excellent warranty and customer service levels, but they need viable products and reasonalbe margins to maintain that boutique reputation. Something that, based on all the info currently available, they cannot get from nVidia.

Even in a marginal, almost minute market like mine (India) we're seeing zero exposure of better Nvidia card partners like XFX and EVGA and greater promotion of Zotac and BIG Nvidia cards at the most popular PC stores.

Kyle posted about a possible shakeup in AIB partners months ago.
Not just XFX.

There was a very good video with the President of EVGA talking about quality parts/service to build customer loyalty. Seems to be working for them. ;)

That surely is working for them, but I doubt Nvidia's near total GPGPU focus during Fermi's introduction and the subsequent delay in getting the card to market worked for them.

Maintaining quality parts/service on razor thin margins grows harder and harder over time.

Yes the delay is hurting all the partners I'm sure.
Kyle's post stated nVidia wanted their partners to make their own cards vs. just slapping their sticker on a ref board.

Yes the delay is hurting all the partners I'm sure.
Kyle's post stated nVidia wanted their partners to make their own cards vs. just slapping their sticker on a ref board.

If the GF100 reference design is power constrained, hobbling it's perforrmance against the 5870, non-reference 300w+ designs, if the performance gains are there, would be particularly apt.

But they wouldn't be cheap.

So maybe BFG is going to be the one getting a date to the prom?

Wonder if that tit for tat - AMD came crawling to us ~ no EVGA came crawling to us - last year soured AMD on EVGA as a possible board partner resulting in their going with BFG instead.

Way it's looking now, whichever Nvidia boutique partner is left standing when the AMD music stops is going to have a very hard time of it.

Back