GPU to play Bioshock

So your saying your site (which doesn't have fxaa, which you says give it an edge) is valid but mine is not? Sure its cobbled, but as I said I really think that a 650 ti boost has nothing on an oc'ed 7850. I can't find anything to the contrary. The site you gave, as I stated before, only shows what cards do without goodies turned on. Gotta turn on goodies for valid benchmarks at teh 160 dollar point in my opinion.
without goodies turned on? all of the options are maxed except they do not have FXAA on. do you know anything about FXAA? if you do then you know it has almost no impact on framerates. turning it on is NOT going to make the 7870 nevermind the even slower 7850 beat the 650 ti boost in Bioshock Infinite.

lol the game had stuttering issues so you could not avoid those if you played more than 2 weeks ago. patch 4 just came out 2 weeks ago and fixed 90% of the stutters. there is still an optimization issue with dynamic shadows though that has not been fixed. framerates will tank in front of some doors unless you lower the shadows setting to high instead of very high or ultra which are DX11 options only. also the game is unstable with patch 4 after long periods of play and will eventually artifact if using patch 4 with 314.22 drivers.

<shrug>...I've been using the 320.18 driver. Game never crashed on me.

without goodies turned on? all of the options are maxed except they do not have FXAA on. do you know anything about FXAA? if you do then you know it has almost no impact on framerates. turning it on is NOT going to make the 7870 nevermind the even slower 7850 beat the 650 ti boost in Bioshock Infinite.

Alright...obviously not worth talking to. First of all, aa DOES affect frame rate. Second of all, this fact should have been obvious since benchmarks generally list whether or not the tests were using AA or not, including the one you posted. Why would they do that if it didn't affect framerate? Anyway, you obviously have some other reason, besides what we are discussing, to like the 650 ti boost. So if OP wants it, he can buy it and turn the goods off and get better frame rates than the 7850. I still think an OC 7850 would own a 650 ti boost WITH aa turned on.

Alright...obviously not worth talking to. First of all, aa DOES affect frame rate. Second of all, this fact should have been obvious since benchmarks generally list whether or not the tests were using AA or not, including the one you posted. Why would they do that if it didn't affect framerate? Anyway, you obviously have some other reason, besides what we are discussing, to like the 650 ti boost. So if OP wants it, he can buy it and turn the goods off and get better frame rates than the 7850. I still think an OC 7850 would own a 650 ti boost WITH aa turned on.
what is your problem? the game had EVERYTHING but FXAA turn on. and why in the hell do you think that the 650 ti boost would all of a sudden become slower than the 7870 or 7850 with turning on FXAA? if FXAA has an impact on framerates then it will impact the 7870 and 7850 too.

and I fired up the game and FXAA had a 3% impact on framerate. now in this magical world of yours where only the 650 ti boost would drop in framerate with FXAA that would still make it faster than the 7870 in Bioshock Infinite. :rolleyes:

and just so you know FXAA usually has little to no impact on the framerate so that is why I said that.

FXAA is literally a free AA option performance-wise http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/03/12/crysis_3_video_card_performance_iq_review/8#.UbaCTfmyDK4

Last edited:
Is there a card around 100 &#8364; that would allow me to play this game on medium on my 1920*1080 resolution, while fitting into my PC?
I don't seem to have a lot of room between the CPU fan and the slot for the graphics card, to be honest.

I'd also love it to have drivers that turn it off unless I'm playing games, so I don't have an additional fan making noise when on stand-by or watching videos / listening to music.
Is that possible?

The only one I could find was the Zotac NVIDIA GTX 650 TI, but I don't know if that one is speedy enough.

Keep in mind that I only have an i5-3570, so the GPU doesn't need to be able to do stuff the CPU isn't suited for anyway.

Last edited:
Something I noticed about Bioshock Infinite is that it gobbles video RAM. I'd say 3GB is the minimum if you wanna play with high settings above 1080p

Something I noticed about Bioshock Infinite is that it gobbles video RAM. I'd say 3GB is the minimum if you wanna play with high settings above 1080p
it may allocate it but certainly does not need it from what I have seen.

Hey everybody,

I grew out of games a little and other than SC2, I haven't had any interest in gaming for awhile, which is why I was really happy with the HD4000 unit on my Core i5.

That was until I saw a trailer of the new Bioshock.

Fucking hell man, I want to play this game SO badly, but I don't have a GPU.

Here's my mainboard:

https://www.alternate.de/GIGABYTE/GIGABYTE+GA-H77N-WiFi,_Mainboard/html/product/1035449/?

If you spotted the problem, you win a thousand nerd-dollars.

Do you have any recommendations for an affordable graphics-card that doesn't make too much noise?
Oh yeah, my monitor resolution is 1920*1080, if that's relevant.

Thank you very much!

My PC:

Int Core i5-3570 3400 1155
Tt Munich 430W ATX23
D3 4GB 1333-999 NT GSK
GiBy GA-H77N-WiFi H77 RG SI

7870 is my recommendation or a 7950 they are so cheap for how quick they are, either card. Nvidia side I'd say 660 since they are getting really cheap. These are my recommendations for bells and whistle settings. I personally have a 7870 got it for under 200 bucks and it plays Infinite maxed at 1080p. Pretty darn good looking, handles crysis 3 pretty good as well :) Cheers.

Thanks for the replies, I'm still not sure how to determine whether these cards even fit into my computer or not. Seems rather a close shave.

Last edited:
The Nvidia 650ti should fit with no issues, since they have quite a few versions that are very short, like this one
http://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GeFo...605271&sr=8-1&keywords=GIGABYTE+GV-N65TOC-1GI
You can see how short those cards are, I think they are like 6 inches in length (that one linked is 8.3 inches though, still shorter then most). They will work great if you have a small case, as long as your PCI slots on your case are not the half height ones like some of the slim cases have.

I have a 650ti non-boost card in my HTPC, and I can say I've been very pleased with it. I've not gave bioshock a whirl with it yet, but most of the games i've played on it run pretty decent on it (batman AC/AA, Borderlands2, Metro 2033) not at max settings, but still decent looking and more then playable.

The AMD 7850 would be a good choice also, but I'm not sure if you can find it in a shorter length, so that's something to keep in mind. The 7850s are a tad higher in price then a regular 650ti, but you do get some games with them, that you can sale and probably make up the difference in price and then some.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So it was just a bug? Good to know it was fixed, but I played the whole game with the stuttering, had to lower settings and have a worse experience. Serves me right for buying the game at release instead of waiting for patches, its shameful how they release products in that state. They waited till patch four, lol

So it was just a bug? Good to know it was fixed, but I played the whole game with the stuttering, had to lower settings and have a worse experience. Serves me right for buying the game at release instead of waiting for patches, its shameful how they release products in that state. They waited till patch four, lol
yeah I was an aware of the stuttering issues but luckily I got the game right before patch 4. problem was the 320.18 drivers and patch 4 did not play nice together and artifacting would occur at some point. they left the option to go back to patch 3 but the stuttering was just too annoying and I did not want to revert back the 320.14 since 320.18 had many game performance improvements. now that 320.49 is out hopefully there will be no more problems in Bioshock.

some advice is to turn down the shadows from ultra or very high to just high. ultra and very high are DX11 features that are bugged a bit and will tank framerates in front of the doors for some reason. I am talking 30-35 fps on ultra vs 90-95 fps on high in those spots.

I am talking 30-35 fps on ultra vs 90-95 fps on high in those spots.

:eek: Any guess as to what's causing it? That's a massive drop.

EDIT: Did OP pick a card yet? I'd just get a 650ti boost or 660 and crank those settings up except for shadows. Seems the game should rock then.

The Nvidia 650ti should fit with no issues, since they have quite a few versions that are very short, like this one
http://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GeFo...605271&sr=8-1&keywords=GIGABYTE+GV-N65TOC-1GI
You can see how short those cards are, I think they are like 6 inches in length (that one linked is 8.3 inches though, still shorter then most). They will work great if you have a small case, as long as your PCI slots on your case are not the half height ones like some of the slim cases have.

I have a 650ti non-boost card in my HTPC, and I can say I've been very pleased with it. I've not gave bioshock a whirl with it yet, but most of the games i've played on it run pretty decent on it (batman AC/AA, Borderlands2, Metro 2033) not at max settings, but still decent looking and more then playable.

The AMD 7850 would be a good choice also, but I'm not sure if you can find it in a shorter length, so that's something to keep in mind. The 7850s are a tad higher in price then a regular 650ti, but you do get some games with them, that you can sale and probably make up the difference in price and then some.

It's not so much the length of the card that concerns me, but rather the space between it and the CPU fan:

yjQgQSD.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
All I got was massive texture popping. Everything's blinking due to texture load / pop.

For me, made RAGE seem like it had no issues.

:eek: Any guess as to what's causing it? That's a massive drop.

EDIT: Did OP pick a card yet? I'd just get a 650ti boost or 660 and crank those settings up except for shadows. Seems the game should rock then.

She hasn't.

I'd like you guys to have a look at the picture I posted and tell me if a card even fits in there, not because of the respective length of the card, but due to the small space between fan and GPU.

Somewhat hard for me to see, but if the left black bar is the PCI-E slot, then you shouldnt have a problem with the CPU fan below it. A card should go in with its own fan facing up, so the bottom of the card isnt going to be any lower than the PCI-E connector level toward the cpu fan. Assuming the cooling bit further to the right doesnt come any hger than the PCI-E slot either, I cant really tell but it looks clear..

And it looks like the PCI-E slot is lined up with the bottom of the two output slots (wahtever they're called) on the back, right? If so, any dual slot GPU will fit as long as length fits in the case. If its lined up with the top, you'll need to find a single slot card of some kind..

Back