GPU Temperature Side Case On / Off Question

cadd

n00b
I had a question about whether I should keep the side panel of my computer case on or off.

With the case on, when my Nvidia 1060 GTX 6 GB graphics card is working at 100%, the GPU temperature gets to 69-71 degrees Celsius with an 80% fan speed.

With my case off, the GPU temperature ranges from 60-63 degrees Celsius with a 55 to 65% fan speed.

I was wondering is its better to keep the side panel off or on given these two cases? I heard 69-71 is "fine" but the fan is working a lot harder and its slightly warmer than 60-63. What do you all think?

You're just fine in the 69-71 range, but if that 80% is noisy and it's quieter with the side panel off, you can go that route as well if you don't mind your side panel being off all the time. Whatever you prefer you're good

One other thing to consider: are you overclocking your GPU? For normal use, 69-71°c is certainly fine, but if you are wanting to overclock, those temps will hamper your maximums a bit.

Agree. Those temps seem acceptable. You might try both ways and see which the card temps and fans fall back to base levels fastest afterward.

May also consider another fan arrangement. I am one of those geeks that tests various internal areas with a thermal probe. Every case is different (pun intended). Most times I get best results with all fans blowing inward and an open blow hole at top. Less interference of inward and outward flow patterns that way.

I had a question about whether I should keep the side panel of my computer case on or off.

With the case on, when my Nvidia 1060 GTX 6 GB graphics card is working at 100%, the GPU temperature gets to 69-71 degrees Celsius with an 80% fan speed.

With my case off, the GPU temperature ranges from 60-63 degrees Celsius with a 55 to 65% fan speed.

I was wondering is its better to keep the side panel off or on given these two cases? I heard 69-71 is "fine" but the fan is working a lot harder and its slightly warmer than 60-63. What do you all think?
I highly recommend installing a fan on the side of your case blowing over your motherboard or fan. I have found case air flow to be fairly lacking; doing this was able to greatly help my motherboard temps (I know you are talking GPU), and depending on the size of your case and position of your fan (or fans) on the side could help bring fresh air into the case and allow the GPU fan to run at lower (and less noisy) speeds.

As other said, your GPU temps are fine and you're nowhere near the throttling limit.

My vote - go find a nice 140mm fan and dust off your toolbox and mod that case!

Agree - actively ventilating your case would be worth pursuing. It's all too easy for hot air to keep recirculating inside a case - unless there is a pressure differential, it's not going to enter or exit of its own accord.

While temps are fine either way, the reason it is warmer with side on is your case is not supplying GPU with the cool airflow it needs. I'm not at my computer, but next time I am I will try to remember and post a link to guide to optimizing case airflow.

a few years ago i was having an issue with heat on an older video card. i installed some intake fans near the bottom of my case and was able to utilize some near the top of my CM scout 2 and providing a clear path for air in/out, plus cleaning up my cabling made a world of difference to my temps.

If you put your card in a shoebox, it's going to get hot. If you put it in a shoebox with a fan blowing over it and another pulling hot air out if the box, it will likely run cooler than being in open air with no airflow.

Your case is the shoebox. Work out your fan configuration.

Back