GPU Rig Cooling help - noob

James Bay

n00b
Hey all. I tried to search the forums here and couldn't find exactly what I was searching for. Basically, I set up a 6 GPU rig recently and can't figure out how to cool down the GPU's adequately. What I have is: 6 XFX RX580 and 3 fresh air fans coming in and 3 fans going out of the chassis. I also set the fans on each GPU to go to 100% at 75C. Even with all of this, I am running at 87-89C consistently. And from what I understand, this is going to either burn my cards up or create a fire hazard. So, two questions: 1) can anyone recommend a very high air flow fan that I can daisy chain with 4 pin molex and 2) any software tweaks I can use outside of afterburner?

After spending a butt load of money, this rig is going to be a paper weight if I can't cool down my cards.

Thanks for the help.

You are doing something wrong. My RX570 is running at 55c with the fan at 60%. I'm getting 30.8 MH/s.

AMD GPUs aren't practical for closed coffin mining.
You need to gank three and move to another coffin.

Fans? Delta 252cfm might do. But at over 2A apiece,
you can't string three on Molex peripheral cable and
expect the modular end never to crashtest a Tesla.

The cheap solution might be do away with the muffin
fans. Lose the lid, replace with 20" boxfan and filter.
Even so, I can't run RX anything in close proximity
to another of the same.

Stagger with shorter cards, maybe some 1050ti,
so at least one fan of each RX is unshrouded...

Last edited:
1. Open up case as much as possible.
2. Aim a box fan at the GPUs.
3. Lower the power draw on the cards.

Flash your bios and do what everyone else already suggested.

You're doing something wrong. I'm an nvidia miner and even i know that amd cards don't go that high. Hopefully more amd guys will chime in.

I can help you with the heat though. Remember the key is to pull the heat away and not blow air at it. Let the fans on the GPU blow the heat away from the heatsinks (doing their job as they should) and then you focus on pulling the heat away once exhausted into open air. Also, heat rises, so if at all possible, put your rig on the floor if it's open air. I see a lot of advice to blow air at your GPUs (box fan) but it just causes a lot of air turbulence. Unless you're blowing AC-cold air directly into the fans on the GPU in the right airflow direction, you're better off pulling the heat away and out the windows or wherever.

If you have some extra cash I put kraken brackets on mine and found some cheap cpu water coolers and it works great

I will make a bet that you are running the cards at full voltage?

What algo are you mining?

Its much more efficient to cut the power draw down from 175 to 105 watts in order to control the heat, rather then pointing more fans at 175 watts.

Reactions: Parja
like this
Use wattman or afterburner to lower the power target on the cards at least 20-30%

Or just buy a bread rack and take them out of the case. Use zip ties to space them appropriately.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11627651-7...chrome-32-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

This is how I did mine

upload_2018-5-24_7-46-17.jpeg

Last edited:
Back