GPU Prices dropping?

I don't understand what you mean.

I don't agree increment model numbers and refresh has disappeared. Each new model was on a one or perhaps 1.5 year cadence for the most part for quite a few generations of cards.

I'm saying that the 40x0 cards release, my guess/speculation anyway, will be longer cycle than normal. As in we probably won't see the 40x0 cards released at the 2021, one year date of this 2020 September release of the 3080 ampere. It wouldn't surprise me if we don't see the 40x0 cards until mid 2022, maybe even late 2022. Ti's and Supers of the Ampere generation could be at any time, and that wouldn't surprise me -- especially if they try to cripple the ETH hash rate as they did on the 3060 to sell more CMP cards. It might mean they will stop making the original 3060TI, 3070, 3080, and 3090 boards all together and move to the new hash limited supers or Ti's for all subsequent releases. Forcing their CMP card sales for those who want to mine.

Then again, the new July EIP 1559 change to the ETH algorithm might really throw all the guess up into the air and where they land nobody knows.
Hate to break it to you, but if eth profits drop to zero it would still be profitable to mine other coins. I think the only thing that will stop it is if crypto prices as a whole crash again. I'm sure if it no longer becomes profitable to mine eth that a lot of cards will be sold on ebay, but people with efficient setups might just be looking at a 50% cut in their profits as they switch to other coins.

3 6700xt models at MC are going for $800 so no they are not dropping lol.

Last edited:
MC has a couple models listed at MSRP $479 but most are $779-$820.

Sam

Just like with Nvidia drops, those are token numbers to hit the illusory MSRP. There are probably 50+ of the others for every MSRP card they make.

Just like with Nvidia drops, those are token numbers to hit the illusory MSRP. There are probably 50+ of the others for every MSRP card they make.
My MC showing 23 msrp 6700xt at msrp from asrock sapphire. About 40 from 3 other from $800-830.

I have not “won” 3 Newegg shuffles.
I’ve been on EVGA waiting list for 3080 since Nov 24th...
Well actually I've won about five, some I passed on.

You should really enter, takes about 30 seconds. I would hold your breath on the evga list. Last report I saw had them still in September. I was able to get a 3060 from them on launch because I entered right when the list opened. The other 3060 I'm still waiting even though I only had a minute delay in entering.

Well actually I've won about five, some I passed on.

You should really enter, takes about 30 seconds. I would hold your breath on the evga list. Last report I saw had them still in September. I was able to get a 3060 from them on launch because I entered right when the list opened. The other 3060 I'm still waiting even though I only had a minute delay in entering.

You’ve won 5. How many have you entered if I may ask?

I put up 4 computers for sale on Craigslist on Sunday. Within minutes I was getting emails asking if I'd sell just the video cards out of them. I told them all that I understood the current GPU situation but because of that I couldn't sell the cards as I would have no replacements. The cards are a 2080 Super Hybrid, 2060 Super and 2 RX-580 8Gb. Have the systems with the RTX cards sold (both Ryzen 5-3600 based), 2 interested parties on the other 2 (R3-3300X, i3-9100F).

sam

I have had one guy email me 3 times now for a Sapphire Pulse RX580 8Gb card from one of the systems, ups the price $25 each time ($250, $275, $300). I just looked on ebay and the prices for that card are insane, from $550-$700.

Sam

1080 ti sc2 went for 730 on ebay. As someone who grew up poor, I cant rationalize how people are this impatient. But hey, I got almost what I paid new for it.
The people getting their hands on new cards at MSRP are basically getting free upgrades.

Buy 3080 FE for $700+tax, sell 1080 Ti for $750 on eBay.

Free upgrade, if you're lucky. :)

I have had one guy email me 3 times now for a Sapphire Pulse RX580 8Gb card from one of the systems, ups the price $25 each time ($250, $275, $300). I just looked on ebay and the prices for that card are insane, from $550-$700.

Sam
I sold one last summer for $50. Wow.

1080 ti sc2 went for 730 on ebay. As someone who grew up poor, I cant rationalize how people are this impatient. But hey, I got almost what I paid new for it.
I sold a 1080ti for 300 with a EKWB in September...

Pulled the old 1650 in my server and sold it for $380 so prices not dropping yet.

Two months ago, sold my 2080 ti for $1400 after finding a 3080 at msrp.

The people getting their hands on new cards at MSRP are basically getting free upgrades.

Buy 3080 FE for $700+tax, sell 1080 Ti for $750 on eBay.

Free upgrade, if you're lucky. :)
I am using my laptop with a 1070, until prices get back to normal. I can wait, which is why is sold it.

Sam
Insane ... stupid is more like it. Back in late 2019 I bought a Gigabyte RX 480 G1 from Kyle for $95 on Ebay that was used in one of his reviews. Now they are selling for $350-$400 there. The RX 480 MSI Gaming X that I bought new for $160 are selling for about twice that now. And here I am playing most of my games on a voodoo 4 these days. Don't need uber modern graphics to have fun.

These cards selling for $3-400 over MSRP lmao - at retail? what a clown fiesta.

should have held onto my 2070 XC Ultra in December, and sold it for a kidney instead of $425, which was still $75more than I paid for it. I fortunately only paid a slightly scalped $650 for a 3070. It was $529 MSRP card that my buddy paid $599 for as retailers started to name their own prices, plus 9% sales tax so I paid him $655 and at the time, it was a tough choice.

Same for me, 0 for 3 for newegg shuffle. :( they waiting until 12am est last night to let me know, previously it was before 6pm when i received the email.

They had a lot of stock and models of 6700 XT that came in yesterday to sell.

Unfortunately, they probably had about 1000 people enter the shuffle for each card they had to sell. I assume it took them longer to process the thing because of this. Probably just going to be worse moving forward from here at least for a while. More people are going to enter since demand really isn't letting up, and supply isn't keeping up nor will it.

I've noticed it's been getting harder to get anything from the discord channels too. Things can be in stock for literally 5 seconds. I've received a notification, immediately (as in 3 seconds) clicked to go to the product page, and it's already out of stock. I'm not sure how that's possible without bots being involved but newegg swears they have them defeated lol

Frankly I'm starting to be tempted to sell the GTX770 in my secondary PC...

Reactions: x509
like this
0 for 4 now on the shuffle. Woohoo!
All these 0 for X and I want one but can't get it posts are tempting me to start signing up for PS5 and XBox X shuffles just so I can post a "what should I try to trade this for" thread if I get one. I'm sure I could easily flip it for retail (or scalp it) on local Craigslist for cash, so no real risk involved and that thread might be fun.

Bought a used 1070 ti in mid 2019 for $280, they now sell for $400.....nope, it's even worse than back then. But you could always risk one of these...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-11GB-GDDR5X-Graphics-Card/274727032230
...over 85 sold in less than a day, with time stamps in the future for EST, 450+ 100% positive feedback. I wish I knew how they are scamming the ebay system, I suppose a few days from now it will get pulled, but enough time to take the money and run. To kinda troll them, I sent a bunch of questions to them, forcing them to lie "on paper" about the listing.

edit: 8 more sold in the time it took me to post this, they are killing it.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Bought a used 1070 ti in mid 2019 for $280, they now sell for $400.....nope, it's even worse than back then. But you could always risk one of these...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-11GB-GDDR5X-Graphics-Card/274727032230
...over 85 sold in less than a day, with time stamps in the future for EST, 450+ 100% positive feedback. I wish I knew how they are scamming the ebay system, I suppose a few days from now it will get pulled, but enough time to take the money and run. To kinda troll them, I sent a bunch of questions to them, forcing them to lie "on paper" about the listing.

Don't give the ebay scammers your money. This is why ebay fees are a fortune to sell anything.

That seller hasn't sold anything in over a year and all of a sudden has hundreds of 1080Tis to sell? Clearly a hacked account.

I saw someone list some 4GB RX 470's like that. They were something like $35 each instead of I guess the intended $350. I tried to pounce on it right away since RX 470's had gone from about $100 to $150-200 recently. I was thinking maybe it was a listing error that would get canceled or they just genuinely didn't know GPUs had appreciated and I had gotten lucky (it was like 4AM and looked like a seller with 1-2 GPUs at home). Turns out it was the same situation as this listing and all the orders were canceled, so it seems like there must be some scam to it if someone keeps doing it. Maybe they're getting the money from ebay and running while the buyers get reimbursed?

I saw someone list some 4GB RX 470's like that. They were something like $35 each instead of I guess the intended $350. I tried to pounce on it right away since RX 470's had gone from about $100 to $150-200 recently. I was thinking maybe it was a listing error that would get canceled or they just genuinely didn't know GPUs had appreciated and I had gotten lucky (it was like 4AM and looked like a seller with 1-2 GPUs at home). Turns out it was the same situation as this listing and all the orders were canceled, so it seems like there must be some scam to it if someone keeps doing it. Maybe they're getting the money from ebay and running while the buyers get reimbursed?

They buy user/pw combinations from data dumps. Then they log in to old accounts and list fraudulent items. They probably have access to their PP accounts also so they can just grab the money and run. Even the picture is probably just a copy paste from some other old listing.

I think my old hotmail account gets hit 3-5 times a day from either China or Malaysia with a bad user/pw combination from an old data dump.

I hope there's a special place in hell for cyber criminals.

What I don't get are all the "picture of RTX whatever" sales listings. Do any of them work to do any damage to bot buying? I can't imagine eBay would not refund a purchase of $500 for a picture of whatever. Just curious, as I see lots of them.

What I don't get are all the "picture of RTX whatever" sales listings. Do any of them work to do any damage to bot buying? I can't imagine eBay would not refund a purchase of $500 for a picture of whatever. Just curious, as I see lots of them.
Not really. People just do it in spite.

Reactions: x509
like this

It's called "That's what happens when your listing(s) cost you nothing to post them" syndrome.
I've been mulling over the idea of posting on ebay photos of my dog's butt hole because I'm
pretty sure there will eventually be serious buyers who will bite

People just trying to scam. Every now and then when a new console comes out someone will do that and some uncareful person will buy it. I recall in the last generation launch a guy in the UK accidentally bought an Xbox picture. I know you should fully check the listing before buying, but it still sucks. Think the guy paid average price, maybe a slight markup or maybe below MSRP. Last console launch was nothing like 2020/2021.

Amateur scammers. Bots are not even looking at Ebay - why would they? Ebay is where the bot-purchased GPUs end up, not begin.

The "Don't buy this I'm trying to stop the bots" nonsense in the description the scammer trying to manufacture plausible deniability that will be good enough to argue an unsuspecting Ebay rep into denying the buyer a refund, when the situation inevitably ends up in dispute. The entire premise of the listing is to keep someone else's money on a technicality and work the system.

Ebay should be torching all the bad faith "only a picture" listings because they erode confidence in and undermine their platform. Ebay continually cries about Amazon taking over the world, but they wont clean their own house of cheap, craigslist-tier scams.

Last edited:
0 and 5 now boyos on that shuffle!

Probably 10,000 people in there now for every piece of stock they get. Chances of winning getting close to the lottery at this point.

Pulled the old 1650 in my server and sold it for $380 so prices not dropping yet.

Two months ago, sold my 2080 ti for $1400 after finding a 3080 at msrp.
What is a Titan X Pascal going for? I could sell mine and wait.

I honestly don't get the issue with people getting cards. Since January I've been able to get, 3x 3070's from various vendors, 1 3060 Ti, 1 3060 and 1 3090 all from either newegg or best buy. It's not hard, I didn't need to dedicate hours or days of my life. Enter newegg shuffle and know the drop times from other retailers (can find from reddit or discord servers). I've been paying whatever MSRP is at the time. I have used zero bots.

Mining is here to stay. Crypto is here to stay.
Everytime someone sees a post like this that has been hunting for a card since Septermber they want to jump off the foxcon building.
Newegg no longer does their drops at a specific time. It's completely random now. This is a bit of an annoyance since I've missed an alert on my mobile and was unable to act. The drops are even coming sometimes during typical business hours, further hampering efforts to act on them.

The best luck I've had is using discord channels and you have essentially about 60 seconds or less to act. Past that point, unless it's a 1500$ 3090 or 6900XT, you will not be able to secure anything and will be waiting until the next chance.
Newegg switched to random times so that bots couldn't be set up for a specific time to attack everyday. When they were advertising it, bots were scooping up the cards before people could complete the checkout process.

Newegg switched to random times so that bots couldn't be set up for a specific time to attack everyday. When they were advertising it, bots were scooping up the cards before people could complete the checkout process.
Unfortunately it doesn't quite work like that. The higher tier bots are 24/7 checking every GPU listing on Newegg every +/- 100ms from behind hundreds of thousands of rotating proxies.

I would estimate Newegg got rid of the 5pm weekday free-for-all drops simply because it generated too much negative feedback and only put a bigger spotlight on the bot problem, since manual checkouts during those drops had pretty much no shot, unless you had an iPhone+ApplePay and were insanely lucky on timing. The shuffle was determined the least worst option, and they still take on negative feedback, but not on the level of before.

Last edited:
The irony of that is I was able to get a couple cards off newegg when they were dropping 4-5PM PST. Now even with the help of discord alerts that I've swooped on like a hawk in seconds, it doesn't matter. Gone before I can even get the page open.

Back