GPU OC/Management Software

brachy33

Gawd
Folks

I continue to use EVGA's Precision X software (on Windows 10) with my RTX 4080 FE to (mainly) control fan speeds and lighting on the card. Not sure if it's just me but my Precision X software has been a little more flakey than usual and not sure if EVGA will continue to update this with their recent news in the GPU market. I really don't OC my GPU's as it just isn't my thing. These things are powerful enough these days to play most games without the risk of torching the friggin thing.

But what is everybody using these days for GPU management software? MSI afterburner? Something else I've never heard of?

I would not be surprised if EVGA releases a final version of their Precision X, and that version might have as loose and wild controls as possible, in a way that Nvidia would normally be mad about. However, that's just an amusing idea. Realistically, I'm in the same boat as OP and don't really know what software to use either. I often use MSI Afterburner too, if using non-EVGA/Nvidia GPUs, but OP is right that I'd like to know if I have other options that have been tried and tested and are known to work very well and have all the features and UI toggles that make it nice and pleasant to use.

Precision X is probably dead. Geforce Experience has some overclocking functionality, it's pretty basic but honestly probably isn't that bad if your only goal is overclocking. Personally I need a V/F Curve Editor so I use Afterburner. I no longer use Afterburner for fan control though, but did for the longest time. I manage all my fans through Fan Control.

LittleBuddy is right.
I have an RX 590, and I actually just went straight into the AMD Adrenaline software to do my overclocking and tuning.
So if Geforce Experience offers the same thing, then perhaps that's our fate. The BIOS gets nice and locked down anyways these days, so what does it matter if we have to overclock via Nvidia's or AMD's software? It even has an OSD that shows me some info, so it's not like it's that bad.

However, if there are any alternatives that are better, I'd like to know.

Precision X is probably dead. Geforce Experience has some overclocking functionality, it's pretty basic but honestly probably isn't that bad if your only goal is overclocking. Personally I need a V/F Curve Editor so I use Afterburner. I no longer use Afterburner for fan control though, but did for the longest time. I manage all my fans through Fan Control.

I wonder how well Fan Control plays with 3rd party AIO software such as iCue, probably not well I'd guess...

Love it! Appreciate peoples feedback here. Will check out Fan Control and Argus as potential replacement options for Precision X and report back.

Love it! Appreciate peoples feedback here. Will check out Fan Control and Argus as potential replacement options for Precision X and report back.
By 'Fan Control' - the site 'getfancontrol?'
I am looking for monitoring software that can provide custom fan curves. GPU Tweak III has some issue which crashes a game. I'll probably try Afterburner soon. Hopefully, some company takes over Afterburner before it 'dies.' If the Developers don't continue it, hopefully, some other developers step in. All the AIB companies neglect monitoring software. I also want some OSD of some kind.
I'll be switching from an EVGA card to an ASUS - and Precision X1 will probably get more neglected as time goes on (like some ppl here say) and the ASUS software has its own issues. The crash situation is the only problem I have with it. Very unfortunate but extremely frustrating.

Afterburner will be EOL'ed soon as well due to complexities between MSI and the dev. Which is a huge drag.

Reactions: pavel
like this
From the looks of this thread, I think the future is either Geforce/Adrenaline, or open-source, and that means one of you will have to create this. The best open-source tool will require some seriously advanced knowledge of how modern GPUs work. I would not be surprised if you would find multiple chips on something like an RTX 5090 and all of them will have to be overclocked manually, in a way that would be far too complex for a simple UI like Afterburner.

There is a need for next-gen overclocking.

RTX 5000 series is looming, and overclocking as it is doesn't seem to be making very many gains. Unless we could find ways to literally double the speed, yes, DOUBLE, the clock speed of a modern GPU, and still get it to perform perfectly, I don't think overclocking is going anywhere.

However, Intel has shown us that it is completely possible to get processing chips to run at 6GHz. What is truly stopping an RTX 4090 from actually clocking at 6 GHz instead of just 2.5 GHz?

Until these sorts of limitations are eliminated, overclocking is being deliberately prevented by the BIOS chip, which is digitally signed by Nvidia or licensed board partners, and that's not fun at all. I want absolute control over my hardware. If I'm just in it for the gaming and the fun of hardware enthusiasm, then why should Nvidia try to ruin my fun just because of some marketing business blah blah boring stuff? I just want to play with my hardware and have a great time seeing what I can do with it.

But I suppose Nvidia doesn't want to deal with a crying nerd who overvolted too far and fried his shiny new RTX 4090.

Afterburner supports current cards. There's time for MSI and the dev to get things sorted out before any major updates are needed.

Reactions: pavel
like this
Back