GPU Monitor Problem

Romi

n00b
Hi, I recently got a gt 640 gigabyte oc edition, I installed it in the pc and everything worked fine until I noticed on my desktop that there are transparent moving lines. I reinstalled the drivers, still the same, changed the vga cable, still the same, changed the monitor, still the same.
I switched back to my old gpu and everything works fine and no screen flickering. The weird part is that I tried the gt 640 on the tv with an hdmi cable, and it works with no problem, my tv also had an vga port, I tried with that too, works no problem. So I cannot identify the problem.
Any ideas? I also cleaned the gpu and the pci express slot.

My son had lines similar to this when he upgraded from a GTX 570 to a R9 270. The monitor was an old AOC 1080p/60Hz w/ VGA and DVI. He was using a VGA cable with a DVI adapter coming from the 570 to the VGA port on the monitor with no issues. When he got the 270, he tried using the same adapter and cable combo which resulted in the lines in games and screenshots. The lines are transparent, horizontally rolling up the display, mostly seen in dark games like Fallout 3. I thought the card was bad after trying out both DVI ports on the card, till I read thru countless old forum threads that had this same issue.

Turns out to be something with the RAMDAC on newer cards and the DVI adapter. It seems the white ones cause this issue, but the blue and black ones are ok. So the fix for my son resulted in me hunting through the garage for and old DVI cable, since I didn't happen to have any of the other adapters. Hooked the DVI cable up and the lines disappeared. Not sure how much this will help the OP unless he's also using an adapter.

Back