GPU folding

newbs

Gawd
Anyone know if a Athlon II X2 210e is enough to drive 4 gpu's folding?

nvidia GPUs? absolutely.

ATI GPUs? probably.

Edit: had the tab open too long. LOD beat me.

ya I only gpu fold with nvidia most likly it will be 2x450 gts and 2x460 gtx

My 2x 460s are sitting quite happily with 1 thread between them on my i7 right now, so you should be fine with 2 physical cores driving 4 cards.

Easily. That CPU could drive 5 or 6 GPUs.

the better question is cooling the GPU processors, with minimal noise.

some of the stock coolers I use run quite loud when folding, I have tried 2 or 3 aftermarket coolers and cannot find one that fits an SLI configuration without the fan being right in the back of the second card, so GPU 0 runs really hot.

some of the stock coolers I use run quite loud when folding, I have tried 2 or 3 aftermarket coolers and cannot find one that fits an SLI configuration without the fan being right in the back of the second card, so GPU 0 runs really hot.
yeah. I have mostly stock coolers on my three GTX470s and three GTX460s. It gets pretty loud.

I'm not sure how they did it, but the 5XX series coolers don't suffer from that as bad. GPU 1 and 2 have almost identical temps in my rig. These are the stock coolers with the high flow support bracket. They are not silent tho running about 75% fan all day long. 75% (to me) is just above the noise of my tower all together and is not that annoying. 85% OTOH, drives me bonkers.

I'm not sure how they did it, but the 5XX series coolers don't suffer from that as bad. GPU 1 and 2 have almost identical temps in my rig. These are the stock coolers with the high flow support bracket. They are not silent tho running about 75% fan all day long. 75% (to me) is just above the noise of my tower all together and is not that annoying. 85% OTOH, drives me bonkers.
I have a tri sli rig with 470s. One fan at 100%, one fan at 90%, one at 80%. I use afterburner to alter the fan speed curve to try to stay under 80c.

with the 5xx series 85% is the new 100%. 5xx cards cap the fan at 85% due to noise issues, and I think that the 85% is roughly equivalent of your 470s fan @100%. 85% keeps my cards under 80C with room temps exceeding 85F.

My gameing machine runs tri sli 470's and they run pretty quite and that machine is folding is folding 24/7 unless I am gaming. I will be water cooling it just so I can overclock them. My wife's machine runs sli 460 gtx plus a gts450 and there fine all pressed against each other. Trying to water cool her 460's but the 450 is presenting a challenge.

so are you thinking about building a new machine?

Back