GPU Dye not competely covered, safe?

xnikx

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, so I decided to try this custom mod on my 2080 ti, using a morphues II heatsink. The issue I'm having is similar to the one in the video below. The heatsink plate does not properly cover the gpu dye. I guess there is a workaround where you can bend the screws inward to avoid this, I have not done this yet. I have no issues temp wise, my gpu is hitting 66C at full load. So my question is, is this dangerous for the card to leave it as is?

fast forward to 2:15

Yeah, I don't think I'd try that. At least in the short term, I suspect the result would just be that you get thermal throttling or shutdown, and not actual damage to the die, but in the long term, I'd agree with Buildzoid that this isn't exactly advisable.

It looks like part of the problem is that the mounting screw holes in the heatsink's mounting bracket are about 1/8" off from he needs them to be in the video, so one solution might be to remove the bracket and drill and tap holes in the proper locations so that it shifts the heatsink over that 1/8" or so.

On the other hand, I think the answer to this is water cooling, personally. My 2080 Ti came with a water jacket, and maxes out in the low or mid 40s, which isn't even particularly impressive, for a water cooled 2080 Ti.

The paste imprint definitely looks off center like he said. Why did you do this mod? Even he concluded it didn't really do much at all. You'd have been better off just using a modded vbios.

Yeah, I don't think I'd try that. At least in the short term, I suspect the result would just be that you get thermal throttling or shutdown, and not actual damage to the die, but in the long term, I'd agree with Buildzoid that this isn't exactly advisable.

It looks like part of the problem is that the mounting screw holes in the heatsink's mounting bracket are about 1/8" off from he needs them to be in the video, so one solution might be to remove the bracket and drill and tap holes in the proper locations so that it shifts the heatsink over that 1/8" or so.

On the other hand, I think the answer to this is water cooling, personally. My 2080 Ti came with a water jacket, and maxes out in the low or mid 40s, which isn't even particularly impressive, for a water cooled 2080 Ti.

So you don't think there is any risk to the die itself? My temps have gone down at least 10C and I haven't encountered any issues of yet. There is a second video where he was able to resolve the issue so I will have to do that then.

The paste imprint definitely looks off center like he said. Why did you do this mod? Even he concluded it didn't really do much at all. You'd have been better off just using a modded vbios.

With the EVGA XC is pretty easy to do, the heat sink pops right off without having to remove the back plate or anything else. I'm currently working on a project which if everything turns out good I will post on here.

So you don't think there is any risk to the die itself? My temps have gone down at least 10C and I haven't encountered any issues of yet. There is a second video where he was able to resolve the issue so I will have to do that then.

I'd guess that there is some risk to the die, but if anyone here tries to quantify it, they're just guessing. If there's a second video where he solved the problem, i say just watch the video and do the same thing he does. With a card that costs this much, you're better safe than sorry, IMHO.

You might not see an issue now, but remember the die is not uniform in the units inside. That edge may be tensor cores, RT cores, SMs, memory controllers, rops, etc. Meaning if you're not stressing them now they may be safe, but one you put a 100% load into that section of the die that isn't getting cooled it can quite literally destroy the section, because the thermal probe doesn't cover the entire die so throttle may kick in too late. You'd need a x-ray die shot to see which part is uncovered to test this and it might result in killing a really expensive card. I would not use this and just get a cheap AIO with a bracket if you want cool and modded.

Edit, here is a die shot to give an example of what might not be covered: https://tpucdn.com/gpu-specs/images/g/813-die-shot.jpg

appreciate everyone's help. just wanted to update you guys, I was able to get the heat sink seated properly, it is now covering the die completely. Temps also dropped a bit, the card is maxing out at 62C now, versus 66C before. I reset it twice using the new method and got the same results of 62C. I will post pics of the build when its complete.

Shoddy design it seems, yes

What is the make and is it an FE card?

Shoddy design it seems, yes

What is the make and is it an FE card?

The heatsink is the raijintek morpheus ii and the card is the EVGA 2080 ti XC Ultra. I'm happy with the outcome, I got about 12C cooler on the card and my system is now dead silent. The loudest part of the pc is the coil whine, really the only thing you can hear.

Last edited:
Back