GPU - diminishing returns reached

You're reading the chart wrong.

The original 2080 review from TPU shows the 1080 Ti is (92 - 100)/100 = 8% slower.

The 2060 Super review shows the 1080 Ti is (113 - 122)/122 = 7.4% slower.

Think of it in terms of FPS. If we converted the 100% of the 2060 Super to, say 70 FPS:
  • 1080 Ti = 113% of a 2060 Super = 70 * 1.13 = 79.1 FPS
  • 2080 = 122% of a 2060 Super = 70 * 1.22 = 85.4 FPS
  • (79.1 - 85.4)/85.4 = -7.4% (-0.0737704918)
You can do the above calculation with literally any base number for the 2060 Super and come up with the same 7.4%, technically meaning the 1080 Ti got faster compared to the 2080 over time at 1440p.

Somebody here knows the difference between percentage and percentage points. its amazing how many fails this middle school topic and thinks that 140% is 10% more than 130%

I've been feeling like it has been diminishing returns for a long time now. I remember when I would get upgrade fever back in the day. Now it's a lot of meh, what I've got is good enough....

I've been feeling like it has been diminishing returns for a long time now. I remember when I would get upgrade fever back in the day. Now it's a lot of meh, what I've got is good enough....

You can blame this on Microsoft. They just had to cash in, so they made their stupid Xbox, paid off all the PC developers to make games for it, and true, native PC games that could only be done for the PC stopped being made. Notice how, miraculously, every PC specific gaming genre basically completely died out? RTS, space sims, etc. All basically dead genres now because they wouldn't work on consoles, and people only make console games now.

You have to remember that native PC games used to actually push high end PC hardware. When Doom came out, you needed a top end PC to even get close to the 35fps cap. When Quake 1 ran out, you weren't running it at 60fps in multiplayer. When Crysis came out, high end PCs couldn't max it out. Games have always been like that. They make them look as good as they can until they hit around 30fps on good hardware. It's just now that the target is cheap garbage consoles, so what you get at 30fps isn't that impressive. Microsoft basically killed PC gaming. All you get now are crappy console ports.

If companies were still making real PC games, they'd be running at 30fps on 3 grand computers, but real PC games don't exist anymore.

I hate Microsoft so much. They did so much damage to everything. From dragging everyone through the mud with Direct3D when they could have just embraced OpenGL and Vulkan, to their shitty attempts to monetize PC multiplayer (they actually tried to charge PC gamers with monthly fees to play multiplayer games), to their stupid proprietary XInput nonsense that ruined gamepad support for 3rd parties, to their laughable Windows 10 spyware. They can suck cocks in hell. Have I mentioned that Microsoft blows? I'm really enjoying the fact that the Xbox brand is in the toilet now and those cock suckers are tucking tail and moving to a software only model again because Sony's kicking their ass. Microsoft is so fucking stupid. They LOST money on the Xbox overall. If you look at the whole thing from its inception until now, they didn't even make money on it. They could have used the billions they spent on it to just pay people off to make games for Windows only instead of Nintendo and Sony, and they'd probably have more market share and profit than they have today. They're just idiots.

In any case, enjoy your Playstation/Xbox ports, everyone!

Last edited:
You can blame this on Microsoft. They just had to cash in, so they made their stupid Xbox, paid off all the PC developers to make games for it, and true, native PC games that could only be done for the PC stopped being made. Notice how, miraculously, every PC specific gaming genre basically completely died out? RTS, space sims, etc. All basically dead genres now because they wouldn't work on consoles, and people only make console games now.

You have to remember that native PC games used to actually push high end PC hardware. When Doom came out, you needed a top end PC to even get close to the 35fps cap. When Quake 1 ran out, you weren't running it at 60fps in multiplayer. When Crysis came out, high end PCs couldn't max it out. Games have always been like that. They make them look as good as they can until they hit around 30fps on good hardware. It's just now that the target is cheap garbage consoles, so what you get at 30fps isn't that impressive. Microsoft basically killed PC gaming. All you get now are crappy console ports.

If companies were still making real PC games, they'd be running at 30fps on 3 grand computers, but real PC games don't exist anymore.

I hate Microsoft so much. They did so much damage to everything. From dragging everyone through the mud with Direct3D when they could have just embraced OpenGL and Vulkan, to their shitty attempts to monetize PC multiplayer (they actually tried to charge PC gamers with monthly fees to play multiplayer games), to their stupid proprietary XInput nonsense that ruined gamepad support for 3rd parties, to their laughable Windows 10 spyware. They can suck cocks in hell. Have I mentioned that Microsoft blows? I'm really enjoying the fact that the Xbox brand is in the toilet now and those cock suckers are tucking tail and moving to a software only model again because Sony's kicking their ass. Microsoft is so fucking stupid. They LOST money on the Xbox overall. If you look at the whole thing from its inception until now, they didn't even make money on it. They could have used the billions they spent on it to just pay people off to make games for Windows only instead of Nintendo and Sony, and they'd probably have more market share and profit than they have today. They're just idiots.

In any case, enjoy your Playstation/Xbox ports, everyone!
So, let me get this straight... You do or don't like Microsoft? Lol. I feel like you're really holding back to much and should just let it out ;). Businesses do what they think will help corner their market whether it's good for consumers or not. Unfortunately, this is not just a Microsoft thing, but they are for sure guilty of making decisions to the detriment of their customers in the hopes of bringing in more $. Some things worked, others didn't, but one things for sure, they won't stop trying.

Back