GPU Cooler

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by Eviljoker, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Eviljoker

Eviljoker Limp Gawd

Ok, Got gigabyte gtx 1070 g1.. longest fkn card ever made... My question is, can i used a gpu off other cards? Like i got a MSI gtx 770 sitting here, could i use that HSF on my 1070? Or my gelid solutions ?

2. RazorWind

RazorWind 2[H]4U

Why would you want to do this? Is the original heatsink not good enough?

The Gelid solutions will likely work, as long as they have the right screw holes to mount to the 1070. Other board manufacturer heatsinks will a crap shoot. Some will likely happen to fit, some probably won't. You'd probably also need a heatsink to cool the power MOSFETs, although you may be able to get away with just blowing air over them.

3. Dermen

Dermen Limp Gawd

It looks like the cooler barely overhangs the card, so changing coolers won't make it much shorter at all.

4. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Your main two aftermarket choices are the Arctic Accelero series & the Raijentek Morpeus II series of aftermarket GPU heat sink replacements...

5. Eviljoker

Eviljoker Limp Gawd

it over hangs by a 1inch and half... Meshify C TG case is why i want to make it shorter, Hell even the back place overhangs the card by 3/4 of a inch

I also have the oder h105 extreme, The thick rad and push/pull set up.. already know that ill prob have to mod just a little to make make it all work.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  6. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

Unfortunately the Accelero Xtreme III and IV also make the card really long.
    I've been using those 2 for approaching 10 years on mine and friends builds and have had to cut gaps in drive bays to get them to fit.
    They are hella good coolers though, I have the III on my 1080ti FE which brought absolute max temp down from near 80C (with throttling so would have been higher) to 55C with no heat throttling.

7. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Morpheus II on an EVGA GTX 1070...
    It doesn't stick out very far at all past the PCB & I managed to retain both the stock top & back plates...
    It does however turn your GPU into a 4-slot monster...!
    uCiLyY6h.jpg
    Computer of #1 Son...

Attached Files:

8. mustang-SVT

mustang-SVT n00b

why not just try it?

9. Eviljoker

Eviljoker Limp Gawd

Dont want to void my warranty until i know for sure

10. Eviljoker

Eviljoker Limp Gawd

but what case is that Boil?

And it also looks like the card is flexing from the weight

11. Alienslare

Alienslare Limp Gawd

If you know how to work around, may be you can try it and post some temperature results. Although im not sure those mounting holes might be the same.

Why am i asking you to try ?

Because Gtx770 has a TDP of 230W where as Gtx1070 has a TDP of 150W

Gtx770 might have a better cooler to handle that kind of heat. Coming from a 230w gpu to fit on 150w gpu should bring temps a bit lower then previous.

12. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Corsair Carbide Series Clear 400C, too big for my tastes, but my son likes it...

That is just from the angle of the pic, the two metal plates that sandwich the pcb keep the whole package pretty stiff...

13. Furious_Styles

Furious_Styles [H]ard|Gawd

Did you put some heatsinks on the memory? From what I've read it doesn't need them.

14. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

No, as I said earlier, I kept both full-length plates that were on the pcb, front & back. Both plates have thermal tape between them & RAM / VRMs.

Oh, and since that pic was shot, the kid has added a 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD to the M.2 NVMe x4 slot show above the GPU...

15. Eviljoker

Eviljoker Limp Gawd

Up date it fit with 5/16 to spare