gpu causing mic problem

Foronine

n00b
So I have a problem where my mic makes a very unusual noise while gaming. All my friends hear it and I can hear it if I listen to the device. The problem is not isolated to any particular microphone as I have tested 3 so far and they all sound identical. The problem varies with GPU stress. It is not noticeable unless the GPU is under load and the noise becomes higher pitched when fps is higher in games/furmark. I've tried testing the CPU with prime95 to see if that had an impact and it did not. I've updated the drivers for the onboard audio but the problem occurs on both 3.5 jack mics and usb mics. I don't think it is the PSU or the CPU. Any ideas?

gpu: gtx260
cpu:i3
mobo: ASUS P7H55-M PRO

Cheap capacitors on your VGA card is resonating with your sound card whenever put under load.... on older boards you could change that in the bios not sure if you can now adays.... did it do it when you first got your board/gpu...

it wasn't a problem until I introduced the 260.
the 8600gt I used before had no issues other then being terrible.

that brings up another question, why would that bother an external usb mic and consistently only bother the mic while the output stays clean?

What PSU do you have?
Also can you try the GTX 260 in another PC and see if the mic issue still occurs.

This gpu worked fine in my main pc.

The psu is a rosewill 600w

With your main PC, plug in that Rosewill and the GTX 260. Since you've effectively ruled out the GPU being the actual hardware issue, the next part is the PSU. If the mic issue occurs with that GTX 260 in your main PC with the Rosewill PSU, than the issue is the Rosewill itself.

Back