GPU brackets?

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
https://www.amazon.com/upHere-GS05A...racket&qid=1606888978&sr=8-12#customerReviews

Bought my 3080 last month, and a new Lian Li case, and the video card came with some bracket, which I didn't use. But then I read more about them, are they neccesary and a must have? Or not really? My RTX card is pretty beefy and long, but it feels secure and tight in the new system, but will my card sag down over time without a bracket?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you carry your case around like flights of stairs for cleaning out with a leaf blower in the garage.
It's added insurance the card won't sway.

My card seems pretty secure in my system. And my computer sits firmly on top of my solid desk I never move it unless changing out a part obviously.

So honestly do I need one of these brackets? Or don't worry about it?

Attachments

• PXL_20201202_034154511.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20201202_034154511.NIGHT.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 0
I've never used them and my 2080Ti has been like this since I put it in over a year and a half ago with no issues... and the card is massive (although maybe not as big as a 3090, but probably close to a 3080).

Granted, I also never move the PC and when I clean it, I simply carry it to my air compressor and don't man handle the thing like crazy either, I'm fairly careful with it.

It might sag "slightly" as this is an older pic, but this card also has 3 screws to the left holding it with 3-slots, so it is quite secure near the PCIe slot.

Attachments

• 20200629_100316.jpg
    20200629_100316.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 0
https://www.amazon.com/upHere-GS05A...racket&qid=1606888978&sr=8-12#customerReviews

Bought my 3080 last month, and a new Lian Li case, and the video card came with some bracket, which I didn't use. But then I read more about them, are they neccesary and a must have? Or not really? My RTX card is pretty beefy and long, but it feels secure and tight in the new system, but will my card sag down over time without a bracket?

Bill Owen at Mnpctech makes and sells them:
https://www.mnpctech.com/products/copy-of-mnpctech-single-rtx-series-gpu-support-bracket-black

He also sells other mounting brackets to position your GPU anywhere in your case.
https://www.mnpctech.com/products/mnpctech-stage-2-vertical-video-card-gpu-mounting-bracket

Not sure if it's necessary, but if you do get one, get a good one.

I got some crappy one on eBay and almost broke something trying to get it installed.

Not sure if it's necessary, but if you do get one, get a good one.

I got some crappy one on eBay and almost broke something trying to get it installed.
Bill Owen makes quality. Buy from him rather than anywhere else.

I was getting some random instability on my 3080 so I put one in and it fixed the problem. So FWIW it worked for me. I wish there was a less ghetto solution though.

Hi, sorry - bumping the thread because I have a question. I looked at all the brackets/braces for sale and I have no idea what to choose. 'Might be upgrading my card to a 3-fan 3080 (6900 XT also considered) so I'll want one of these. But, I don't know which one and now I have to choose either a vertical or horizonal brace. Does it matter which? The horizonal braces look like they're more popular more? But, you have to adjust it - and I don't know how you do that - how do you know how 'tight' to adjust it to - just so the card is resting on it?

The vertical brackets used to be popular but it seems the horizontal bracket is the most sought after nowadays? How come? Anyway, 'was hoping for some recommendations - there's just so many (looked on Amazon - lots of brands are just copies of another, too).

Hi, sorry - bumping the thread because I have a question. I looked at all the brackets/braces for sale and I have no idea what to choose. 'Might be upgrading my card to a 3-fan 3080 (6900 XT also considered) so I'll want one of these. But, I don't know which one and now I have to choose either a vertical or horizonal brace. Does it matter which? The horizonal braces look like they're more popular more? But, you have to adjust it - and I don't know how you do that - how do you know how 'tight' to adjust it to - just so the card is resting on it?

The vertical brackets used to be popular but it seems the horizontal bracket is the most sought after nowadays? How come? Anyway, 'was hoping for some recommendations - there's just so many (looked on Amazon - lots of brands are just copies of another, too).
My MSI 6900 XT Gaming X came with it's own support bracket (It needed it, because it's a monster card). So, just verify that the product you are ordering doesn't already ship with a card arm for support.

Reactions: pavel
like this
My MSI 6900 XT Gaming X came with it's own support bracket (It needed it, because it's a monster card). So, just verify that the product you are ordering doesn't already ship with a card arm for support.
Unfortunately, I'm looking at used cards - it's 50/50, that a seller will include the bracket? Retail/new cards here (Canada) are exorbitantly prices - so, really expensive - even the 3060 is overpriced right now. So, most likely, I'll have to buy a bracket from a retail place like Newegg or Amazon. My 3060 is a 2-fan card so didn't need one - and didn't come with one.

They are just a piece of flat metal with 3 holes drilled in them, try a hardware store for some flat stock and drill 3 holes in it.

Unfortunately, I'm looking at used cards - it's 50/50, that a seller will include the bracket? Retail/new cards here (Canada) are exorbitantly prices - so, really expensive - even the 3060 is overpriced right now. So, most likely, I'll have to buy a bracket from a retail place like Newegg or Amazon. My 3060 is a 2-fan card so didn't need one - and didn't come with one.
If you're looking for used I would sell you my old 6900XT. The problem is... The customs. Last time I sent a motherboard, Processor and RAM to an [H] user in Canada their wife bought them a new rig before it ever got through your government's customs. Took like 2 months for the hardware to get verified...

FYI
https://www.google.com/search?q=gpu...46i512i613.2342j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

There are a number of sub 20 dollar choices, but the antec one (19.99) looks legit decent for any monster card in a tower case.

https://www.amazon.com/upHere-Graph...lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=AFRUWVWO3UJ63
The above is a 9 dollar version of what MSI essentially sends with their Video cards, it's just less bulky

Just do what I did and bust out a few old lego pieces :p

No need to spend 20+ bucks on a bracket:

20221216_125810.jpg

If you're looking for used I would sell you my old 6900XT. The problem is... The customs. Last time I sent a motherboard, Processor and RAM to an [H] user in Canada their wife bought them a new rig before it ever got through your government's customs. Took like 2 months for the hardware to get verified...
Yeah, customs can be pretty bad. Also, the currency conversion rate is not favorable for Canadians either.

I use one of the antec ones.
https://smile.amazon.com/Antec-Graphics-Anodized-Aerospace-Aluminum/dp/B089NRZKW5/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=P607ADWMJPG2&keywords=antec+gpu+support+bracket&qid=1671431632&sprefix=antec+gpu,aps,163&sr=8-2
I got mine for like $9 when I had an aftermarket heatsink on my 1080ti that sagged a fair bit. Still using it on my 3080. I found the antec model to be aesthetically pleasing and it does a good job of keeping my GPU from sagging. Also it's incredibly adjustable so it should fit any GPU.

There's honestly not much sag with my 3080 to begin with, even as huge as it is, but I feel better with it braced.

I use one of the antec ones.
https://smile.amazon.com/Antec-Graphics-Anodized-Aerospace-Aluminum/dp/B089NRZKW5/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=P607ADWMJPG2&keywords=antec+gpu+support+bracket&qid=1671431632&sprefix=antec+gpu,aps,163&sr=8-2
I got mine for like $9 when I had an aftermarket heatsink on my 1080ti that sagged a fair bit. Still using it on my 3080. I found the antec model to be aesthetically pleasing and it does a good job of keeping my GPU from sagging. Also it's incredibly adjustable so it should fit any GPU.

There's honestly not much sag with my 3080 to begin with, even as huge as it is, but I feel better with it braced.
I'm looking for one now since I upgraded - got a 3080 today. That looks pretty good. Sorry for the late reply - jeez....my last posts on this topic was from December 2022 - yeah, it takes me a while to decide/afford etc. - but, here I am....
I was wondering if it matters if you use a horizontal type of bracket or vertical? It seems the vertical ones became really popular and are the 'go-to' holder nowadays?

I'm looking for one now since I upgraded - got a 3080 today. That looks pretty good. Sorry for the late reply - jeez....my last posts on this topic was from December 2022 - yeah, it takes me a while to decide/afford etc. - but, here I am....
I was wondering if it matters if you use a horizontal type of bracket or vertical? It seems the vertical ones became really popular and are the 'go-to' holder nowadays?

No it doesn't matter which one you use. I like the vertical bracket that is just a base, a post, and an adjustable finger. That's all you really need and it's easily adjustable.

Reactions: pavel
like this
I've tried using the case mounted horizontal ones and have never had any real success. Even the one that came with my 3080 didn't do anything. I greatly prefer the vertical ones.

My MSI Suprim 4080 came with a adjustable post in the box I had one but this one looks nicer and it's taller.
What they should have on the GPU is a groove where it sits so it doesn't clip a fan but how many people open a case when a game is running.
Unlike the fan I destroyed by mistake at work today worried about that one.

OIP.jpg

IMO, the 3080's and 3090's don't need one. My 3090 has been in my system since launch day and it hasn't budged. They were big compared to prior cards, but they aren't that big.
On the other hand, 4090's are monstrous. While potentially not necessary, they look and feel night and day larger than anything prior. My Gigabyte card came with a bracket that wouldn't fit on my Mobo, so I had a friend (with professional metal cutting tools) cut it to fit. That felt like a more elegant solution than most of those stands based on how the fans are setup on the bottom of the card.

I've tried using the case mounted horizontal ones and have never had any real success. Even the one that came with my 3080 didn't do anything. I greatly prefer the vertical ones.
That's very interesting. I've mostly looked at vertical ones - the expensive Antec ones are difficult to find - they're priced way higher in my country than in the USA (and American sellers). The most common ones on Amazon are the stands with the triangular piece that holds the card up.

IMO, the 3080's and 3090's don't need one. My 3090 has been in my system since launch day and it hasn't budged. They were big compared to prior cards, but they aren't that big.
On the other hand, 4090's are monstrous. While potentially not necessary, they look and feel night and day larger than anything prior. My Gigabyte card came with a bracket that wouldn't fit on my Mobo, so I had a friend (with professional metal cutting tools) cut it to fit. That felt like a more elegant solution than most of those stands based on how the fans are setup on the bottom of the card.
What 30 series card did you have? Some of them seem pretty long - ones by Gigabyte, Zotac, MSI - the Nvidia FE one is thicker and shorter? Are you including all the AIBs in your evaluation? :)

What 30 series card did you have? Some of them seem pretty long - ones by Gigabyte, Zotac, MSI - the Nvidia FE one is thicker and shorter? Are you including all the AIBs in your evaluation? :)

Mine's an EVGA 3090 FTW3. Using it right now (sans any bracing) right now. Another model would have to be quite a bit larger/heavier to justify such a thing IMO. The key is the length of the card vs. the PCIe slot and the number of slot screws on the back. It feels sturdy.

No it doesn't matter which one you use. I like the vertical bracket that is just a base, a post, and an adjustable finger. That's all you really need and it's easily adjustable.
If it looks like a small e cig - with threads on either side of a tightening 'screw' - then that's what I got.

I got a vertical one. It's in my build now with a Tuf 3080 - just got a used one, recently. Was clean - seems to be working fine so far but I haven't run any tests yet - just some light gaming to test. Hopefully, it's good and it will be an upgrade in Blender and video editing software - might be able to play 4k in some games.

Back