GPS Tracking for desktops?

dbendebel

Weaksauce
Hi everyone,

Just got some computers stolen. Anyone know of a solution to track them via GPS or similar? I was looking up this unit called 'Retrievo' but it's crowd funded, and not really sure how it's gonna turn out, specially with a $200 price point.

The only problem with any solution that is provided is it would have had to have been installed on them BEFORE they were stolen. You are SOL on those machines. Do you have renter's/homeowner's insurance? If so you will also need proof (pictures are usually needed) that you had them before they were stolen and you should be able to get reimbursed for them. Any data that wasn't backed up somewhere else is gone though.

Huge problem #1: One almost can't track desktops via "GPS" given that GPS signals don't make it indoors at all. If the machine sits by a window there's a small chance that something will work but don't count on it.

Huge problem #1: One almost can't track desktops via "GPS" given that GPS signals don't make it indoors at all. If the machine sits by a window there's a small chance that something will work but don't count on it.

Actually it still works very well. Most GPS tracking on phones, tablets, laptops, etc. don't just do a constant ping to determine the location. It'll log locations at specific intervals. If one location is logged an incredibly high amount you know that's roughly where the person lives.

I'm sure with that kind of data and law enforcement involved they could track down the exact location even in a 10-story building.

Actually it still works very well. Most GPS tracking on phones, tablets, laptops, etc. don't just do a constant ping to determine the location. It'll log locations at specific intervals. If one location is logged an incredibly high amount you know that's roughly where the person lives.

I'm sure with that kind of data and law enforcement involved they could track down the exact location even in a 10-story building.
...and said devices all have batteries and are frequently used outdoors unlike a desktop.

...and said devices all have batteries and are frequently used outdoors unlike a desktop.

Seriously. Add in basements, the trend towards metal (or ferrous) roofs, and... well... there goes the signal.

Maybe an IP tracker service? Does Computrace still exist? Do they still come standard on many laptops?

[21CW]killerofall;1041360398 said:
The only problem with any solution that is provided is it would have had to have been installed on them BEFORE they were stolen. You are SOL on those machines. Do you have renter's/homeowner's insurance? If so you will also need proof (pictures are usually needed) that you had them before they were stolen and you should be able to get reimbursed for them. Any data that wasn't backed up somewhere else is gone though.
Yeah insurance is available, but I just wanna make sure this doesn't happen again. Data's backed up via cloud, but would be nice to have a way to track the physical devices somehow. What do you guys think of this -

http://www.retrievor.com/

It's pretty small, runs on solar and kinetic as the description says.

Yeah insurance is available, but I just wanna make sure this doesn't happen again. Data's backed up via cloud, but would be nice to have a way to track the physical devices somehow. What do you guys think of this -

http://www.retrievor.com/

It's pretty small, runs on solar and kinetic as the description says.

Err.. that's for pets, again with the if it's got GPS it won't work indoors thing. If you're lucky you can catch it when it's in a car being moved but if it's in a trunk then it also won't work.

Back