Government Computer Error of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
Thanks to a computer error, if you were born in Pennsylvania between 1893 and 1897, you'll be receiving a draft letter. Get your old ass up and go register. :D

Are you a man born in Pennsylvania between 1893 and 1897? If so, a government agency may have just reminded you to register for the draft. The Selective Service System, which keeps a roster of potential men who can be enlisted in the military, inadvertently sent out mailings to more than 14,000 Pennsylvania men born in those years, reminding them to register.

I KNEW computers were around in the 1800's. That computer science class I took was BULLSHIT! :D

I think the real story is 14,000 Pennsylvania dead men still get mail!

And are probably registered voters as well.

But the Dems don't want to have to deal with pesky things such as being required to show your photo ID to be able to vote.

Their motto is "vote early, vote often".

That is how some districts get way over 100% participation.

And yes.. i did just turn it political.

You didn't turn it political. You turned it partisan and stupid.

I guess the *puts on sunglasses* dead letter department got some work.

But the Dems don't want to have to deal with pesky things such as being required to show your photo ID to be able to vote.

The thing is that these new voter laws, that are predominately popping in places with long and egregious histories with keeping blacks away from polls, go well beyond photo ID. In my home state where my 87 year old mother still lives of North Carolina, she now has to go out and get new id, id she never needed in nearly 70 years of voting. That's bullshit.

But the thing that really stands out to me about the NC law is all of the other stuff that has NOTHING to do with photo ID. Cutting early and Sunday voting, elimination of same day registration, elimination of pre-registration for high school students and the moving of polling places off college campuses. What the hell does any of that have to do with photo id? It's straight up Jim Crow era bullshit.

You didn't turn it political. You turned it partisan and stupid.

No I didn't. Apparently you don't follow political news.

It happens every big election.

Locally, the highest number I have seen at one address is when their were 11 "people" registered to vote at a vacant house.

Usually it is dead people that are registered to vote.

There are also quite a few people that are registered to vote in multiple districts.

And guess which party these offenders are members of? I'll give you one guess.

I've been paying attention to this type of thing for at least 10 years.

The thing is that these new voter laws, that are predominately popping in places with long and egregious histories with keeping blacks away from polls, go well beyond photo ID. In my home state where my 87 year old mother still lives of North Carolina, she now has to go out and get new id, id she never needed in nearly 70 years of voting. That's bullshit.

But the thing that really stands out to me about the NC law is all of the other stuff that has NOTHING to do with photo ID. Cutting early and Sunday voting, elimination of same day registration, elimination of pre-registration for high school students and the moving of polling places off college campuses. What the hell does any of that have to do with photo id? It's straight up Jim Crow era bullshit.

How would your grandmother feel if she went to the polls and was told that she had already voted? Yes this has happened a lot, and is not uncommon at all.

Getting rid of "early" voting is a great thing IMO. If you think about it, it is very easy to abuse.

As for same day registration.. unless the person voting just turned voting age the day of voting, it is not needed. If people are not going to bother to register until the day of, they probably have no clue about the candidates or what they stand for.

Pre-registration for HS students???? Registration for kids who probably have no idea what any of the candidates stand for? Registration for kids who could most likely care less about politics?

No, they are just trying to limit opportunities to commit voter fraud. If one party wasn’t using voter fraud to gaming the system, then the other party wouldn’t be trying to stop it.

You can't cash a check, rent a car, open a bank account with out an ID.
The Democrats wouldn't even let people get on a bus that was taking them to a voter ID protest without a valid ID which makes them total hypocrites.

No I didn't. Apparently you don't follow political news.

It happens every big election.

Locally, the highest number I have seen at one address is when their were 11 "people" registered to vote at a vacant house.

Usually it is dead people that are registered to vote.

There are also quite a few people that are registered to vote in multiple districts.

And guess which party these offenders are members of? I'll give you one guess.

I've been paying attention to this type of thing for at least 10 years.

So the implication is that the fraudsters are picking only dead voters registered to their own political party to cast the fake secret ballots?

Strong logic bro.

How would your grandmother feel if she went to the polls and was told that she had already voted? Yes this has happened a lot, and is not uncommon at all.

It's never happened to me or my mother as far as I know. And when it does happen it's more than likely someone checking off the wrong name.

Pre-registration for HS students???? Registration for kids who probably have no idea what any of the candidates stand for? Registration for kids who could most likely care less about politics?

So the way to get young people more interested in politics is to take away something that would probably help them get interested in politics?These young people will be this first ones to die in our wars. They have as vested a interest in our political system as anyone else.

No, they are just trying to limit opportunities to commit voter fraud. If one party wasn’t using voter fraud to gaming the system, then the other party wouldn’t be trying to stop it.

The Democrats wouldn't even let people get on a bus that was taking them to a voter ID protest without a valid ID which makes them total hypocrites.

Are you kidding me dude? There's nothing in this article that says anything about voter ID but your politically-addled mind saw this as a perfect opportunity to attack the other side of the aisle for no reason, about something that happens about as often as someone being struck and killed by lightning in this country.

Take off the tin foil hat bro.

In relation to the article, an amusing story. Sometimes the DOD is weird. They really need to update their systems.. just in general. Hopefully the poor guys took at as humorous instead of some weird threat.

Again, there's a bad history over this subject in the South where most of these laws are popping up. I do not trust politicians and their constituencies, be they Democrats or Republicans, when they start writing laws that clearly limit voting, especially when those laws seem to most effect the base voters of the opposing party of the party writing these laws.

As for same day registration.. unless the person voting just turned voting age the day of voting, it is not needed. If people are not going to bother to register until the day of, they probably have no clue about the candidates or what they stand for.

You do not have to be registered to vote to follow politics and have an informed opinion on the issues. I've never had to show my voter registration to get political information.

Why someone who isn't registered to vote cannot do both while they are there is strange.

Why someone who isn't registered to vote cannot do both while they are there is strange.

Especially if the voter is required to show forms of id they didn't before. If these laws simply focused on tightening up the id, I could live with that as that's logical and reasonable. But this other stuff that has ZERO to do with in person voting fraud is a complete sham.

It's straight up Jim Crow era bullshit.

Yup. The ONLY reason behind these rules is to prevent poor people and minorities from voting. That's the only motivation. Everything else is straight-up rationalization.

Yup. The ONLY reason behind these rules is to prevent poor people and minorities from voting. That's the only motivation. Everything else is straight-up rationalization.

The law in North Carolina though targets a very different crowd as well, the young. Elimination of pre-registration in high school, the removal of college polling places and not even college ID from the UNC school systems is valid id for voting. I thought that Republicans were all about getting an education. Well, maybe not so much anymore, at least in NC. The stats show an overwhelming Democratic majority among college age students in the state. The NC law actually targets young and educated whites! It's just fucking amazing how fucked up this law is.

The law in North Carolina though targets a very different crowd as well, the young. Elimination of pre-registration in high school, the removal of college polling places and not even college ID from the UNC school systems is valid id for voting. I thought that Republicans were all about getting an education. Well, maybe not so much anymore, at least in NC. The stats show an overwhelming Democratic majority among college age students in the state. The NC law actually targets young and educated whites! It's just fucking amazing how fucked up this law is.

All these laws whose major effect is to prevent young people, minorities, and poor people from voting, which start to gain traction after a black Democrat is elected President.

Gee golly. It must be the rampant voter fraud that hardly exists. Really.

the same people who support the southern voter ID laws are the same people who get pissed that you have to show an ID to buy a gun... I love it :D

So the way to get young people more interested in politics is to take away something that would probably help them get interested in politics?These young people will be this first ones to die in our wars. They have as vested a interest in our political system as anyone else.

I can't say I agree with your reason or the idea that being young and going to wat has anything at all to do with it when Military Service is not compulsory.

But, a person is eligible to vote or they are not. Age is not the only discriminator but regardless of any of this, no single person who is eligible to vote should be denied the right to vote, with everyone else at the appropriate time in conjunction with Absentee Voting laws.

the same people who support the southern voter ID laws are the same people who get pissed that you have to show an ID to buy a gun... I love it

There is nothing wrong with Voter ID Laws, Nothing. The Law already says you must be a resident of the State in which you are voting so this only works to enforce the Law. I can't say to what extent voter fraud exists, but regardless, a voter ID law will help reduce or eliminate however much there actually is.

Who get's pissed that you have to show an ID to buy a gun? I have never witnessed it though I frequent gun shops and the occasional gun show.

the same people who support the southern voter ID laws are the same people who get pissed that you have to show an ID to buy a gun... I love it :D

Nope... Background checks and valid ID should definitely be required to be able to buy a gun.

Banning gun ownership is what people are against. Also paying high gun license fees is stupid as well.

On the other hand, if you are a criminal, you are going to acquire a gun if you want one. No license fees, and most guns owned by criminals are not going to be traceable anyway.

So what do you do? You certainly DO NOT take guns away from law abiding citizens. That is the absolute stupidest thing you could do.

That is like the US disarming and expecting the tyrants of the world to stop being tyrants. Completely and totally retarded.

Nope... Background checks and valid ID should definitely be required to be able to buy a gun.

I don't necessarily disagree. But since the Federal Government already requires this for all sales from a retailer/dealer to the individual under the authority to regulate Inter-State Commerce. And because it is unlawful for individuals to transfer guns, (sell), across State Lines. The only type of transfer left is individual to individual within each State and each State is perfectly capable of managing this legislation on their own. This is the biggest single reason the Federal Government keeps failing when it comes to pushing a Federally mandated background check to individual sales of privately owned firearms, it's simply not withing the Federal Government's authority to regulate the sale of personal property as Intra-State Commerce. this authority is reserved to the States, they have to do it for themselves if it's to be done. The sooner the Feds stop trying to push this bullshit down the State's throats the sooner people will stop fighting it and it will fall to the States to step up. It would happen faster if the Feds would just stfu and acknowledge that it's a State Issue and the people need to look to their own States to make it happen.

I need to add something to this statement.

And because it is unlawful for individuals to transfer guns, (sell), across State Lines.
... without involving a Federal Firearms License(FFL) holder.

I get so damn sick of people turning front page news threads into political discussions when it isn't warranted. Thread was going just fine until you posted that.

FFS, if you want to talk politics on this forum, pay the fee and register for General Mayhem. We have a soap box forum specifically for this crap.

I find this awesome, I would love to see these 14,000 men show up on the White House lawn and take terrorist king obama into custody and try him for treason, terrorism and high crimes against his own people.

61308_cf47022e667ff521b9115943e7e03d72.jpg

You couldn't be more wrong.

Study after study after study have found that voter fraud simply does not happen in the US above the noise level.

Voter ID is a solution in search of a problem (and while it is at it, makes it impossible for many legitimate voters to vote)

Once they actually started looking for it they found over 1800 fraudulent votes in our 2008 gubernatorial election.

The reason they started paying closer attention is because our governor was decided by less than 1200 votes in 2004, when they magically found some ballots they forgot to count squirreled away in a party office.

Just noise guys, no worries.

Back