Gothic HD (Gothic Remake)

This is a really weird concept... make an impressive looking remake of an old game, but only make a demo and maybe not the full game, and only give it to people who own a certain set of games. Seems like a lot of work to maybe never materialize.

Article says its out now, but I don't see it in my Steam library (have several Gothic and Risen games).

I want this badly but I want ELEX 2 first

Edit: I just realized this isn't going to be the original team and that they plan to update all of the systems. They absolutely will "streamline" and make the combat shit.

I played this for a while today. Here's a copy/paste of what I wrote in the feedback thread on steam:

I'm going to basically copy/paste what I wrote in another thread:

It's not Gothic
I haven't made it to the end to take the survey, but I just couldn't help but stop to comment. I want a remake of the first Gothic very badly, but this isn't it. This is Gothic 4 tier. Here are some of my complaints:

It's way too tutorial heavy. Gamers don't need a 5 page popup tutorial to figure out how to sprint and climb. The button prompt when you walk up to a wall is good enough. See Egoraptor's legendary video on Mega Man X for a good example of how it's being done wrong here and ways that it can be done correctly:

The start of the game is way too scripted and there are way too many cutscenes. Just drop me in the world and let me get on with it like the original did. Don't make me run through a boring tutorial section every time I want to replay the game and don't treat me like an idiot. Games aren't movies. Stop trying to make things "cinematic".

I hate the main character. He's way too emotive and chatty. Part of what made Gothic what it was was the stoic main character. If you have to change anything get rid of the horrible man-bun. I can't believe the only thing you kept about the original nameless hero was that terrible haircut. You can still have some comedy with a stoic character. Some of the funniest moments in PB's games have come from putting a stoic main character into a goofy conversation or situation. Or from one of those unexpected rare moments when the stoic nameless hero himself would make a joke. It's not Gothic without a stoic nearly monotone nameless hero. Marvel has filled the quota of chatty, cocky, and "clever" characters for the next couple of decades. We look to the past because the present sucks. Give us the past instead of trying to be trendy. This demo seems far too heavily influenced by modern games and I mean that in a bad way.

The combat is not good. If this was a new franchise with no ties to a series as loved as Gothic it would be an interesting experiment that I could possibly grow fond of. That's not what I want from Gothic and and especially not what I want from a Gothic remake. Give us combat similar to Gothic 3, Risen, or ELEX. I'm partial to left and right click for quick and heavy attacks with WASD being used to control the directions of your swings. Let us string some of those attacks into combos as we increase our weapon skill. Middle mouse button for block and no locking on. Or at least no reason to need lock on if you're good at the game.

The dialog system is bad and looks like something made for a console. Give us a classic full menu and don't limit us to four options.

All in all I have to say that I don't want to see anything like this demo released. I wanted to say that I at least liked the graphics but even those are kind of bad with some muddy textures (the broken sword you get at the start looks especially bad up close)

A remake that's faithful to the original wouldn't do well with today's audience and one that isn't faithful would alienate fans of the original.

It was an old school game with a steep learning curve(especially regarding combat) and tons of enemies that you have no business fighting until well into the game, story progression is also kind of slow and doesn't pick up until you've gotten a ways into the game. None of that would go over well with modern audiences, for instance the biggest complaint about Kingdom Come Deliverance is that the combat is too difficult and it's much easier.

A remake that's faithful to the original wouldn't do well with today's audience and one that isn't faithful would alienate fans of the original.

It was an old school game with a steep learning curve(especially regarding combat) and tons of enemies that you have no business fighting until well into the game, story progression is also kind of slow and doesn't pick up until you've gotten a ways into the game. None of that would go over well with modern audiences, for instance the biggest complaint about Kingdom Come Deliverance is that the combat is too difficult and it's much easier.

All of PB's games have been pretty much the same as far as general look and feel goes and they are still doing fine. ELEX was similar to Gothic and that's only 2 years old. They shouldn't reuse the original Gothic combat but Gothic 3 or Risen type combat would be fine.

THQ Nordic today finally revealed the developer for the project, confirming that this project has been moving ahead.

https://twitter.com/THQNordic/status/1370012146684342288

We are beyond happy to introduce our new studio, Alkimia Interactive in Barcelona, Spain!

@AlkimiaGameDev will focus on high-quality RPGs, their first project being the Gothic Remake.

Development is well underway and first results will be revealed in the next couple of months!

1615472858702.png

Ugh. I’m in the same camp as GhostCow if that demo was at all the herald of things to come. I quit and uninstalled quite fast.

They actually gave the game the horrible name "Gothic 1 Remake."

Looks like significant changes have been made. Maybe they started from scratch.

THQ Nordic left a Bad taste in my mouth after Spellforce part of the game is alright.
I told them in the Steam Forums they should do a Sniper game since RPG isn't their prowess.

Speaking of Gothic, has anyone ever played the Elex games? I've been wanting to check them out since I heard they copy a lot from Fallout.
But I've also heard that the game is just a reskinned Gothic with shitty combat.

Their both on sale now, which would be another good reason to check them out.

Speaking of Gothic, has anyone ever played the Elex games? I've been wanting to check them out since I heard they copy a lot from Fallout.
But I've also heard that the game is just a reskinned Gothic with shitty combat.

I've never played Gothic. I played the first Elex game and I liked it, but I liked it because of the low-budget feel it has; I liked it enough that I stuck with it and played through. I liked how it progressed as far has leveling up and then being able to move to new areas and easily tackle stronger enemies. I've read that Elex II went a bit off the rails and isn't as good as the first, so I've avoided it.

I've never played Gothic. I played the first Elex game and I liked it, but I liked it because of the low-budget feel it has; I liked it enough that I stuck with it and played through. I liked how it progressed as far has leveling up and then being able to move to new areas and easily tackle stronger enemies. I've read that Elex II went a bit off the rails and isn't as good as the first, so I've avoided it.
How does it compare to say FO3? I watched some game play earlier and it seems all about convos with not much action.

I loved the first Elex...a lot like Gothic games. Leaving and going from place to place felt like a real adventure. So I was excited about Elex 2. But the voice acting and writing was just so bad I eventually quit. I eventually just lost the motivation to play but did put in 40 hours. First one is definitely worth a play though. Put in 65 hours to complete it.

Back