Got the itch all of a sudden... which ~41-45" 4k screen for work + some gaming?

I just ran over to Best Buy and picked up an overpriced RocketFish cable to try after having issues with DisplayPort. Best Buy is much closer than MicroCenter. It's got the certification logo and the info from the scanning app matches the box. So the cable should be fine. Of course it could still be defective, but I'm not buying yet another cable or abusing a retailer by "renting" one after trying the "8k" HDMI cable (48Gbps), a DP 2.0 cable (77Gbps) and the DP cable that came with it. By my calculation that's 3 strikes, so it's out of here.

Have you used one with an NVidia Ampere card? I have a 3090.

At this point I'm not inclined to try another Samsung. They pissed me off with that buggy Odyssey Neo G7 monitor I bought. It's going back to MicroCenter tomorrow.

I'm seriously thinking about that Asus PG42UQ 41.5" OLED screen again. I'll need to get a new desk, but I took some measurements and can fit a setup with 2 of these big screens in my existing space and still have enough room for a 24" side screen or two in portrait mode. I'll just keep using my 4yo old Dell 43" 4k IPS screen as my main work monitor and the OLED will serve as a side screen unless I'm gaming, watching a movie, or doing some sort of artwork (not likely on that last one...). That IPS screen is actually better for work (programming & office apps) than the Samsung. It's a little easier on the eyes and the text is better.
Beware of the Asus it reportedly has slow response time unacceptable for gaming (read the reviews). I would advise you to look into the QN90B or QN90C I have them both and they are amazing with fast response perfect VRR and brilliant HDR. You'll love it.

Beware of the Asus it reportedly has slow response time unacceptable for gaming (read the reviews). I would advise you to look into the QN90B or QN90C I have them both and they are amazing with fast response perfect VRR and brilliant HDR. You'll love it.
Got a link? Just Googling around for reviews they seem to think the response time is good on the Asus PG42UQ 41.5" OLED.

Got a link? Just Googling around for reviews they seem to think the response time is good on the Asus PG42UQ 41.5" OLED.
Is the Asus you were talking about the LCD or OLED? I was talking about the 43 Asus LCD

Is the Asus you were talking about the LCD or OLED? I was talking about the 43 Asus LCD
I was looking at the OLED. All these 43" gaming LCDs use the same VA panel and likely won't look much better than the Samsung. The Samsung looked nice in games but isn't as nice for work (writing code & office stuff) as my old Dell 43" 60Hz IPS 4k screen. Corporate business monitor beats gaming monitor on text. Are you at all surprised? It was fine for text, just not as good as the Dell. The problems with the Samsung screen got me thinking about a serious desk overhaul and running separate screens for work & gaming. I don't have a spot for a second setup right now (could make one but it will be a lot of time and more $ than just a new desk), but I took some measurements and I can mange 2 big screens plus a 24" side screen or two in portrait if I get a new L-shaped desk. So I'm thinking go full gaming/movies/video with an OLED and keep using my 43" Dell 4k IPS screen for writing code.

I dropped by Microcenter last weekend and decided a 48" wasn't too big after confusing one with a 43" a couple times. I brought home an LG 48GQ900 48" 4k OLED after checking out a few other options. I went with it over the Asus and Gigabyte OLED models because it has an anti-glare coating on it. Shiny screens just don't work well in my office. I had shiny screens when I moved in and they made me nuts.

So far I like it a lot better than that Samsung I had. Text is even easier to read. There's a little fringing, but it's not very noticeable unless you have colored text on a black background. I haven't tried colored text on a colored background. Black on white or gray is nice and sharp. The problem with the Samsung Neo G7 was the good old VA color shifting making everything look muddy at close range. Yeah, I'm sitting too close to my monitor for optimal gaming/video/etc. It's programming range. I'm trying to get lots of usable real estate. The OLED does better at short distance than my old IPS display. Another nice perk is it doesn't look like a wide gamut display on the desktop with HDR enabled, at least not at default settings. It's not super bright, but it's bright enough I don't want it at 100%. 80% seems pretty good. So far my biggest complaint is you lose a lot of image adjustments when FreeSync is enabled, including contrast. WTF? Not a huge deal since I'm planning on rearranging things and using my old 43" for work, but if I were going to use this thing for work I'd like to make white a little less bright. But for the burn-in problem I'd just use this thing full time. Instead I need to figure out a desk upgrade and some sort of mount for this thing since the included stand stinks. It lacks a tilt adjustment so it's always straight up and down and I'd really like to tilt it a few degrees.

I haven't done a lot of gaming on it but this thing seems fantastic so far. Might even be better than a CRT, and it's definitely a lot larger and higher resolution. At any rate I don't think I'm going back to LCD for gaming unless they make some sort of massive improvement.

Now I just need to find a mount for this thing along with a new desk or table. Mount first, because that will determine what I need for a desk/table. It uses a 300x200mm VESA mount and weighs 35lbs, which means I have a very small number of desktop mounts to chose from and will need an adapter because they're pretty much all 75x75 or 100x100mm. Other than that I could use a desktop/tabletop stand, floor stand or get a wall mount and build something to attach it to. I'll need a deeper desk/table if it's going to sit on be be attached to the desk/table, so mount first.

Now I just need to find a mount for this thing along with a new desk or table. Mount first, because that will determine what I need for a desk/table. It uses a 300x200mm VESA mount and weighs 35lbs, which means I have a very small number of desktop mounts to chose from and will need an adapter because they're pretty much all 75x75 or 100x100mm. Other than that I could use a desktop/tabletop stand, floor stand or get a wall mount and build something to attach it to. I'll need a deeper desk/table if it's going to sit on be be attached to the desk/table, so mount first.
You can get adapter plates off Amazon, they work fine. If you choose to use a monitor arm, it needs to be pretty heavy duty or the tilt will not support it.

My recommendation is to instead get a TV stand that you can put behind your desk because the 48" needs plenty of viewing distance. It's much more practical and you don't really have a lot of need to alter the height or position once you have it setup to your preference.

You can get adapter plates off Amazon, they work fine. If you choose to use a monitor arm, it needs to be pretty heavy duty or the tilt will not support it.

My recommendation is to instead get a TV stand that you can put behind your desk because the 48" needs plenty of viewing distance. It's much more practical and you don't really have a lot of need to alter the height or position once you have it setup to your preference.
That sounds like a good idea. I'm thinking a stand with wheels would be nice. Wheels seems like the best way to adjust distance on a screen this large, which seems like something I'm more likely to want to adjust than height. It would also be nice to be able to move the thing without having to unbolt it from my desk then find a spot to put it. With an arm it would be either clamp it to something else or lay it down on my bed or couch. A stand with wheels would make it easy to move around and get out of the way for cleaning, rearranging my desk, etc.

Funny thing is it doesn't always need that much viewing distance. This OLED is the best large screen I've dealt with for planting your face in it since it just doesn't have that color shifting problem you get with VA and to a lesser extent with IPS. It can actually be kind of nice for some games to sit "too close" so all you really see is the game if you can adjust the field of view appropriately. That FOV adjustment is a must though, since you need to turn it up quite a bit from standard FOV for this to look decent and not mess up your gaming. Back in my surround days I used an app called Flawless Widescreen. No idea if it's still around and updated, but it made a whole lot of games playable in surround mode that wouldn't have otherwise worked. Quite a few seemed to base their viewport on horizonal size, so you'd get an 80 degree horizonal stretched across 3 screens and the top and bottom cut off. Hmm... sounds like another argument for a stand with wheels.

That sounds like a good idea. I'm thinking a stand with wheels would be nice. Wheels seems like the best way to adjust distance on a screen this large, which seems like something I'm more likely to want to adjust than height. It would also be nice to be able to move the thing without having to unbolt it from my desk then find a spot to put it. With an arm it would be either clamp it to something else or lay it down on my bed or couch. A stand with wheels would make it easy to move around and get out of the way for cleaning, rearranging my desk, etc.
I have a stand with wheels and honestly the wheels are largely just locked in place. It made no sense to move it after I got it where I wanted. I guess it was easier to setup elsewhere and then put it into where it would go with the wheels tho.

I have a stand with wheels and honestly the wheels are largely just locked in place. It made no sense to move it after I got it where I wanted. I guess it was easier to setup elsewhere and then put it into where it would go with the wheels tho.
I haven't moved it since I set it up, but I still like having wheels. Wheel will make it easy to get out of the way for cleaning and such. I might also roll it out into the living room to watch movies on it. It's as big as my TV and my TV isn't an OLED. I've been meaning to get a new TV, but I want to paint the living room first and who knows when I'll get around to that since I have a bit of a fixer-upper house and lots of higher priority projects.

Back