Got the Corsair Obsidian 800D, Its HUGE!

after much thought, this will be my new case. I no longer give a damn if it's made out of steel. Lian Li/Silverstone aren't cutting it anymore. Whenever the GT300 is out, I'll decide between it and the 5870x2 and build my i5 system in this case. I imagine working in this case will be a pleasure. It'll probably take 15-20 minutes tops to get everything built very nicely in this case, which is a HUGE plus.

Last edited:
Hey, anybody else out there have a Rampage II Extreme in this case? I'm having a really hard time trying to fit the I/O shield in with the motherboard - there just isn't enough room... or maybe it's just me. The Mboard does have a thick shield...

Hey Guys,

Long time lurker however finally joined the forums...I've been through several setups in the past years and end up going to laptops and coming back to building my own rigs....Visiting this forum reminds me why. I just picked up this case a week ago and finished my build on Friday night and i LOVE this thing. Will get specs up shortly! Super Nice Case!!

I got a Deluxe P6T and it has a similer I/o shield... I just pushed it in and lined up the center screw then tightened that one down and moved to the rest of them.

worked for me, and I left my heatsink mounted from previous build (lazy)

Strange. I haven't heard any noise from that fan. But I'm running at 50% (which is where I run my fans), and neither the standard Corsair H50 fan or the Noiseblacker were audible at all unless I'm closer than 12 inches.

I just spun it up to 100% just to see - and yeah - a bit of noise. But nothing bad. I just swapped it out with a Noiseblocker just for kicks and noise at 100% is only slightly improved. So it seems it is, indeed, the air moving across the grill and/or radiator.

Otherwise, my case cooling on air is so efficient, my fans don't spin up past 50% since it doesn't get hot. But I could see this as an issue if you're running at 100% and/or OC'ing (where you'd want to run at full blast).

I keep reading where people insist that you have to water-cool. Do you think that's really needed? How about this: how much more "fan speed" would you need IF you did overclock? I'm planning to get an ASUS P6T with an Intel i7-920, overclocked to somewhere between 3.5 and 4.0.

My conclusion is that the Obsidian hot-swap bays make for a much quieter experience with the exact same Seagate .11 series drives when compared to a P180 case. BTW - your Samsungs are some of the loudest drives made. YMMV.

Right now, my system is in an Antec P180. 3 x Seagate 320 MB .10 drives + 1 Hitachi second generation 1 GB drive. I can easily hear the drives.

Honesty, I think the P180 is very over-rated, or all the flaws are overlooked. :mad: Terrible cable management for both motherboard and drive cages.:mad: And not exactly quiet. :mad: Overall too tight.:mad: :rolleyes: It was that experience that led me to recognize the value of the 800D case.:D

I keep reading where people insist that you have to water-cool. Do you think that's really needed? How about this: how much more "fan speed" would you need IF you did overclock? I'm planning to get an ASUS P6T with an Intel i7-920, overclocked to somewhere between 3.5 and 4.0.

Keeping a Core i7 920 cool at 4.0GHz is no easy task. Trust me I know. You need awesome ambient air temperatures and you can't have fans that are too quiet. You have to expect some kind of noise with that kind of configuration. That's one of the reasons I switched back to water cooling.

Right now, my system is in an Antec P180. 3 x Seagate 320 MB .10 drives + 1 Hitachi second generation 1 GB drive.

Dang those are small drives you got there ;)

Honesty, I think the P180 is very over-rated, or all the flaws are overlooked. :mad: Terrible cable management for both motherboard and drive cages.:mad: And not exactly quiet. :mad: Overall too tight.:mad: :rolleyes: It was that experience that led me to recognize the value of the 800D case.:D

I agree and disagree on this. If you're looking at all the new cases out today, the P180 is hideously flawed, as many new hardware have a hard time fitting in like you said. I can't even fit my 750W PSU without having to remove the bottom fan completely, or I have to put much pressure just to close the panel where the 'bulk' of the PSU cables are evident behind the motherboard tray.

But this case debuted in 2005, before long PSU and extra long video cards are common place. For its days it was a great solid case, I bought 2 long ago for my socket 939 Athlon and 478 P4. Everything fit very nicely, very roomy, good airflow, and PSU cables didn't have more tentacles than an octopus. Now 2 upgrades afterward, it's beginning to show the case hasn't aged very well. Nonetheless, it was a good case in its days. I'm excited for the 800D; it's huge, but I love the roominess and a better cable management system.

Project bonus money came in this paycheck so I'm going to dive into the 800D pool and see how I fare. Managed to snag it for under $300 Canadian, even including 12% tax so I consider that a good deal (They're still retailing for $300 + $35 tax up in Canuck land).

I was really putting this off but a routine cleaning of my P182 just made me cringe when I looked at how cramped everything is in there, and the impulse urge couldn't be resisted anymore. Time to toss the old athlon 2500M in the 182, should be a good solution.

Hopefully it arrives problem free..

I'm really tempted to move to the 800D as well. I love my p180b. It's an awesome case aesthetically, but I'm moving into watercooling and need space. Also, I really like the minimalist look on the exterior. Tomorrow is payday, need to decide between a case and a monitor...

Depending on what monitor you have now, the case may be a good buy.

Depending on what monitor you have now, the case may be a good buy.

What does the monitor have to do with the case? Are you referring to the large cards AMD is releasing and a big enough case is needed?

What does the monitor have to do with the case? Are you referring to the large cards AMD is releasing and a big enough case is needed?

No I mean that if your monitor is a really nice one then waiting on that and buying the case may be the way to go. If you have a tiny and crappy monitor I'd say tha'ts probably more important than a case unless it provides needed functionality you can't get without it. (I can't imagine what that would be either.)

No I mean that if your monitor is a really nice one then waiting on that and buying the case may be the way to go. If you have a tiny and crappy monitor I'd say tha'ts probably more important than a case unless it provides needed functionality you can't get without it. (I can't imagine what that would be either.)

Dan, did you finally order your 800D? I had a Lian-Li PC-P50R for a few days, but it was way to small and the front panel kept coming off just by looking at it so I sent it back. I'm still on the fence about the Obsidian, thanks to the insane shipping cost here in Canada... Maybe my poor impulse control will kick-in... :D

No I haven't taken the plunge yet. It would be too tall for my desk with my Exos sitting on top of it and I will not put the machine on the floor. (I hate that.) So I may change to a different desk first.

No I haven't taken the plunge yet. It would be too tall for my desk with my Exos sitting on top of it and I will not put the machine on the floor. (I hate that.) So I may change to a different desk first.

There's a 10,000$ one I could suggest.

10kdeskmandref-mr_brett.jpg

Redbeard, check yer email eh!

Im a new 800d owner, love the design ideas... the fit & finish could use some work though.... really just the "fit" ... first run of any product needs this kinda work though, kind of to be expected? .... anyhow, i've got alignment issues with my 8800gt in the primary pcieX16 slot, havent tried theother one yet. It's nowhere near as bad as some of the others in this thread. Without going into details, i've got the video card in there, using some washers, and ive sent redbeard an email to get his advice :)

Just an FYI, I too found the motherboard real snug up against the IO shield to get the first screw in, but once that was done... it was perfect.

My only complaints so far are (obviously above) ... and the lack of rubber surfaces on the moving parts where they contact the case (bottom filter is a prime example...) it sounds rattly when you pull it out. Either make it a snug fit, or put some rubber in there, or something... same thing with the SATA backplane shield, hdd fan shroud. Small, but noticeable.

Oh, speaking of SATA backplane: the spacing on the 4xPower adepter seems a little long between the top and 2nd from the top one... the top one is being pushed up just a little... can we adjust this, or will it ruin the cable?

Cheers to an otherwise awesome case design... love the pushbutton panels, and the milled front bezel.. that thing is a tank!

Redbeard, check yer email eh!

Im a new 800d owner, love the design ideas... the fit & finish could use some work though.... really just the "fit" ... first run of any product needs this kinda work though, kind of to be expected? .... anyhow, i've got alignment issues with my 8800gt in the primary pcieX16 slot, havent tried theother one yet. It's nowhere near as bad as some of the others in this thread. Without going into details, i've got the video card in there, using some washers, and ive sent redbeard an email to get his advice :)

Just an FYI, I too found the motherboard real snug up against the IO shield to get the first screw in, but once that was done... it was perfect.

I really want this case, but issues like this are keeping me from pulling the trigger. :( Considering the shipping cost, it don't want to risk having to return it. I guess I'll wait!

If any of you have any desire to get this case, please know that you WONT be dissapointed. I received mine last week, and it was the:

-cleanest
-fastest
-easiest

build I've ever done.

I didn't have any issues with shipping damage, or with screw alignment on any pci cards (2 GTX 285's, 3ware RAID card, TV tuner).

Get it. Well worth the money as I can see myself using this case for years to come.

Last edited:
I haven't gone through all of the pages of this thread, but which etailers/retailers are you guys getting this case from? (Not a question of availability, but rather shipping/cost expectations.)

I haven't gone through all of the pages of this thread, but which etailers/retailers are you guys getting this case from? (Not a question of availability, but rather shipping/cost expectations.)

I got mine direct from Amazon a few weeks ago, $280 and free shipping. Right now it appears that they are out of stock and are shipping from TigerDirect for $300 plus $35 shipping. Newegg currently has it for $280 + shipping.

I really lucked out with the Amazon deal, $20 off and free shipping plus no 10% CA sales tax! :)

Yea I grabbed mine for $260 w/ bing cashback... newegg had free shipping at the time and it was a pre-order so it shipped before anyone else.

I still gotta finish sleeving stuff... that and I'm kinda lazy cause I'm waiting for new cards / possibly new motherboard / possibly WCing... we'll see what happens...

Another issue with hard drive noise that's come up is resonance. Since this case has absolutely no damping anywhere, the rotations of a slower speed HD cause a constant low level "hum", or at least the two I have do. One of them alone is fine, it doesn't produce much more noise than a fan and is fairly constant, but put a second in and I get a really obnoxious "throbbing" sound of, hummm....HUMMMM...hummm...HUUUMMM ect.

I've also been looking at dampening options and I can't seem to find anything that would actually work with the 3.5 bay and the enclosures require a 5.25 bay which has nothing to cool off that area. Has anyone found a way to dampen the hotswaps (such as the strips that you can put on the side of the HD, will these even fit?), or does Corsair have any options in the works?

Yeah yeah, "just get an SSD" I know, but it's not the only option and I wouldn't want another TB drive just sitting in the closet.

Last edited:
Another issue with hard drive noise that's come up is resonance. Since this case has absolutely no damping anywhere

You may not have noticed this, but the entire SATA hot swap bay is actually mounted on rubber pads.

Seems most of the negative comments are from people that haven't even seen the case in person.

looks fantastic

quick question, could you hang a dual slot card off the bottom expansion slot? Like, if you had a video card on the bottom PCI-e slot of a mobo?

It kills me how manufacturers continue to make cases with 7 expansion slots when so many mobos have the 3rd PCIe slot on the very bottom of the mobo.

That's the exact reason I'm ready to ditch my p180, and have been heavily leaning toward one of the lianli lancool cases with 8 expansion slots

looks fantastic

quick question, could you hang a dual slot card off the bottom expansion slot? Like, if you had a video card on the bottom PCI-e slot of a mobo?

It kills me how manufacturers continue to make cases with 7 expansion slots when so many mobos have the 3rd PCIe slot on the very bottom of the mobo.

That's the exact reason I'm ready to ditch my p180, and have been heavily leaning toward one of the lianli lancool cases with 8 expansion slots

srsly:rolleyes:

Have you looked at the pics?

looks fantastic

Yes.

I finally got it and upon initial inspection it looks mint. I haven't had a chance to rip my existing system down and transfer it yet, but so far so good. I'm actually surprised at how light it is considering the size, and it has that 'new car' smell ;) I'm going to put some tiny strips of rubber on the PSU rails but other then that, out of the box it looks pretty dam complete.

Thumbs up so far Redbeard & Team, I'm impressed!

You may not have noticed this, but the entire SATA hot swap bay is actually mounted on rubber pads.

I stand corrected, although having four rubber pads at the bottom of the last bay is supposed to do what exactly? It's not touching the three top bays, and I'm not even sure if it makes any contact with the bottom drive itself, the rest of the enclosure is just metal on metal. Surely those four pads are not meant to stop harmonics from all four bays?

I'm not really worried about what's there though, I'm worried about finding a solution to my problem. None of the standard damping solutions seem to fit in the 3.5 bays, there wouldn't be much if any cooling putting them in the 5.25 (but will this actually matter?) and if at all possible, it would be nice to find a way to add anything to the hot swap bays/adapters.

Make no misunderstanding, I am not trying to overly criticize the case in any way because overall it's fantastic for those it was built for and it really is exactly what I wanted for my intentions (future upgrade path to WC and SSD) but for the short term it's not quite what *I* need it to be, but that's ok.

Last edited:
for those worried about alignment, corsair told the the engies are working on a fix. Not sure what it is gonna be... a new back panel area? a clamp of some kind for the entire row of slots? ;) We see!

oh ya... and it's HUGE. A lot longer, deeper, taller than my P182.

Back