Got the Corsair Obsidian 800D, Its HUGE!

He was asking for additional areas to mount.....

Thanks Ockie ;) Will defintely be buying this case most likely when I get some spare cash and my i7 setup all nice and setup. Gonna convert my ATCS840 to a glorified WHS/Server 2008 box :D

agreed.. I love that hotel!

nwo about the case... I have actually been lookin at cases.. I will have to consider this... Can you get wheels for it? As a gamer who attends mini lan parties often... that would help greatily... My 9800GTX is a tight fit inside my Thermaltake Soprano DX.

I can just see the headline now " Gamer Carnage; Culprit = PC Case"
The case feet aren't removable; so idk what kind of solution could be done. Because the case has a foot in the middle of the case as well as the front and the back, I was thinking something like getting two of the u-shaped cpu cart/trolley things, one between each foot. You really need something long otherwise it won't be balanced on the cart.

http://www.ens-co.com/products/miscellaneous-items/cpu-trolley/
http://www.ergoware.com/mobile-cpu-cart-p-316.html

The case feet aren't removable; so idk what kind of solution could be done. Because the case has a foot in the middle of the case as well as the front and the back, I was thinking something like getting two of the u-shaped cpu cart/trolley things, one between each foot. You really need something long otherwise it won't be balanced on the cart.

http://www.ens-co.com/products/miscellaneous-items/cpu-trolley/
http://www.ergoware.com/mobile-cpu-cart-p-316.html

If you want to remove the case feet, take the rubber pads off the bottom of each one and it'll reveal a single screw that you can unscrew to take the feet off.

You should then be able to install wheels or something else if you'd like.

Make sure you don't remove the feet and set the thing down on the carpet or floor without a gap, though, otherwise the cold air intake underneath the case will be closed up and temps will skyrocket.

Mine shall be here Wednesday... Newegg is listing 44lbs for weight, glad it had free shipping eh? haha... hopefully that's lots of extra padding and the case itself isn't too bad...

Pics with flash, without flash.
imgp3720a.jpg

imgp3721.jpg

imgp3722.jpg

imgp3723.jpg

imgp3724.jpg

imgp3725i.jpg

imgp3727h.jpg

imgp3728p.jpg

imgp3729w.jpg

imgp3730jg.jpg

Got one on order, waiting on the egg. Got a question: Are there brackets/face plates included for mounting 3.5" devices like card readers? If not I've got to start looking for something that is compatible with the front cover.

Does anyone know if this will accommodate the Feser Monsta radiator, up on top? It seems like it will handle others, but the Monsta might be a little big. I've been considering going to water and a case I can do so without a lot of modding would be nice.

If you want to remove the case feet, take the rubber pads off the bottom of each one and it'll reveal a single screw that you can unscrew to take the feet off.

You should then be able to install wheels or something else if you'd like.

Make sure you don't remove the feet and set the thing down on the carpet or floor without a gap, though, otherwise the cold air intake underneath the case will be closed up and temps will skyrocket.

Sweet, Thanks Man! :D That is a incredible looking case! I have no doubt its a top quality case, I have a Corsair 750TX PSU and even after a year of long power hungry gaming session almost daily its still ultra quiet and stable. ( I even still have the Corsair bag it came in...not sure what is so cool about a PSU coming in a velvet-like bag.. but it is lol )

sorry to go way OT...anywho, do you mind me asking what type of screw? (torx, phillips etc ) As soon as I gather up some more spending money, I shall be putting my order in!

ok so like there aren't many case wheel manufactuers.. looks like the only thing I could do are the Wheels from Lian Li... Just kinda thinking out loud.. I dunno...

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=48&cl_index=2&sc_index=30&ss_index=14

Last edited:
Got one on order, waiting on the egg. Got a question: Are there brackets/face plates included for mounting 3.5" devices like card readers? If not I've got to start looking for something that is compatible with the front cover.
No, there are not any included. You will need to find something from newegg.

Does anyone know if this will accommodate the Feser Monsta radiator, up on top? It seems like it will handle others, but the Monsta might be a little big. I've been considering going to water and a case I can do so without a lot of modding would be nice.
I'm not sure, but my bet is no. Looking at the radiator pics, they have fan mounts for both 120mm and 140mm fans. The top mounting holes on the Corsair are solely for 120mm's. But I cannot be absolutely certain.

alcuin, it needs more hardware. That wire loop at the top right of the motherboard drives me nuts, lol

alcuin, it needs more hardware. That wire loop at the top right of the motherboard drives me nuts, lol

What wire loop are you talking about? The short p4 wire? Just don't look. ;)

Does my fatality titanium, killer nic, and crossfire x meet your approval? (I know I haven't put the bridges on yet.)
imgp3733.jpg

Last edited:
Hugh. That case just looks empty. Doesn't even look like a full setup system.

I really, really, hate to say this, as I really like the case, but . . . . .

Mine is going back on Tuesday. I mounted the mobo yesterday, went to mount everything else today, and the whole rear panel on mine appears to be out of whack . . . like more than 1/4" out of alignment. The right side panel is also warped a bit and doesn't quite line up with the front edges.

In order to screw in my cards, I had to push the back of the case in 1/4" or more. I doubt seriously this is a manufacturer defect, I think it happened either in shipping from China, or in shipping from Amazon.

If it were a cheaper case, I'd go through the effort of trying to bend it back into shape, but for a case that cost me nearly $300, I expect perfection.

The case itself is beautiful. And, as I said, I don't think this has anything to do with Corsair, I think it's a problem with the shipping from China or from Amazon.

Either way, it's going back, and I'll just leave my stuff in my P183 for now.

that does suck that the alignment is off, hopefully it was just unique to your case

that does suck that the alignment is off, hopefully it was just unique to your case

Well, like I said when I first got the case yesterday, the styrofoam packing material was cracked and broken, so I'm sure this thing was dropped and abused in shipping. I doubt seriously it's a problem with manufacturing. It's just poor handling by shippers is my guess.

I really, really, hate to say this, as I really like the case, but . . . . .

Mine is going back on Tuesday. I mounted the mobo yesterday, went to mount everything else today, and the whole rear panel on mine appears to be out of whack . . . like more than 1/4" out of alignment. The right side panel is also warped a bit and doesn't quite line up with the front edges.

In order to screw in my cards, I had to push the back of the case in 1/4" or more. I doubt seriously this is a manufacturer defect,

You mean your cards wouldn't line up with the screw holes, like this?
imgp3719.jpg

If so, I ended up bending all of the metal brackets so the holes would be bigger. Very annoying, but was the only way I could make it fit. I wasn't sure if it was my mobo or what. The default slot covers fit perfectly fine, and the hole in the slot cover doesn't look like it was made out of spec or anything; I suspect maybe the mobo mounts are angled slightly too far from the back panel screw holes.
imgp37332.png

hopefully, this is not a trend, but so far this is kinda looking like a couple small problems are starting to develop with these cases. Shipping cost to return this case would be expensive!

Redbeard, what are your thoughts on the card bracket problem and the power supply alignment problem?

You mean your cards wouldn't line up with the screw holes, like this?

If so, I ended up bending all of the metal brackets so the holes would be bigger. Very annoying, but was the only way I could make it fit. I wasn't sure if it was my mobo or what. The default slot covers fit perfectly fine, and the hole in the slot cover doesn't look like it was made out of spec or anything; I suspect maybe the mobo mounts are angled slightly too far from the back panel screw holes.

Exactly like that.

Like I said, if it was a cheaper case, I'd do the work, but for $300 (or close to it), I expect it to be perfect.

hopefully, this is not a trend, but so far this is kinda looking like a couple small problems are starting to develop with these cases. Shipping cost to return this case would be expensive!

Redbeard, what are your thoughts on the card bracket problem and the power supply alignment problem?

Return shipping is the main reason I bought it from Amazon. If there's a problem with the product, they'll pay return shipping. You only pay if it's because you don't like it :).

Mine just arrived today from Amazon. I guess I'll do a test fitting of my old motherboard before I try to move my Core i7 into it. Unfortunately.. now I have to mow. There are a couple of spots on the edges of mine where the paint has been scraped off a little already.

Sounds like the shipping is tearing that styrofoam up quite a bit. Let me look into this from a packaging perspective and see if there's anything I can do. Those of you guys who had broken styrofoam, would it be possible to get pictures of the box it came in?

The out-of-alignment rear panel thing seems like it might be related to rigidity. I just tested it on one I got here at home (finally) and I can see what you are saying. Mine is in alignment but I could see how the screws might not align perfectly. Although this is an issue with almost every case I've ever used personally - let me try and fix it.

Sounds like the shipping is tearing that styrofoam up quite a bit. Let me look into this from a packaging perspective and see if there's anything I can do. Those of you guys who had broken styrofoam, would it be possible to get pictures of the box it came in?

The out-of-alignment rear panel thing seems like it might be related to rigidity. I just tested it on one I got here at home (finally) and I can see what you are saying. Mine is in alignment but I could see how the screws might not align perfectly. Although this is an issue with almost every case I've ever used personally - let me try and fix it.

Unfortunately, I don't have the box here, it's at work. I only brought the case home. I can get pictures on Tuesday though.

The box itself looked fine, what you'd expect for something that had been transported from China. The foam was cracked pretty much dead center and lengthwise on both the top and bottom pieces.

Ask and ye shall receive: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98824154@N00/sets/72157622256571418/

Is a ding in the rear panel "normal"? Thumb hold perhaps? I don't think so though..

If you need any more pictures. It'll be in awhile, as I really need to get out to mow.

Last edited:
Hopefully you guys can get this stuff corrected for the future shipments Redbeard, good to see you're trying to stay on top of things.

looks like they got some cheap dried up styrofoam, such a shame, I wonder if the cardboard packing stuff is any better for cases?

Exactly like that.

Like I said, if it was a cheaper case, I'd do the work, but for $300 (or close to it), I expect it to be perfect.

No kidding. There is nothing worse than spending this kinda money and not having it work like it should.

You should look how the TJ series cases are packed from silverstone, IMO they are packed a lot more protected and proper. I've never had an alignment problem on any $100 and up case with the exception of the stacker which was recalled.

Ask and ye shall receive: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98824154@N00/sets/72157622256571418/

Is a ding in the rear panel "normal"? Thumb hold perhaps? I don't think so though..

If you need any more pictures. It'll be in awhile, as I really need to get out to mow.

Ouch, that is not normal.

For a case this large and heavy it really should be double boxed IMO
Also I have never had a case except for my Norco, that the screws dont line up.

This is kind of a bummer, I think I might hold off for now.

Sigh

Made in USA or Made in Canada is id pay 350 for the damn thing lol

Unfortunately they used the thinner single-layer corrugated box and since Amazon shipped it straight this way, there wasn't much protection except for the foam. I would have liked to have seen double or triple layer corrugated boxes to be used if it was shipped in just the original box (like mine was). Since it technically was damaged, I may just return it to Amazon. I'll wait until Redbeard comes back with some kind of response though.

Unfortunately they used the thinner single-layer corrugated box and since Amazon shipped it straight this way, there wasn't much protection except for the foam. I would have liked to have seen double or triple layer corrugated boxes to be used if it was shipped in just the original box (like mine was). Since it technically was damaged, I may just return it to Amazon. I'll wait until Redbeard comes back with some kind of response though.

I'm still trying to decide whether to wait or not., Personally, I really think that at this point I'd rather return it.

Dunno yet... People would think the HAF932 would be better, but the problem with those big fan's is they really don't move a whole lot of air... and the entire front fan is blocked by HDD's...

this was the problem with the Silverstone FT01... front air-flow was completely blocked by the HDD racks... Seems to be the problem with every case I've seen.

But with the Corsair, they seperate the HDD's from the main system... so the 140mm pulls in cool air that is touched by nothing/blocked by nothing...

That and it's a lot easier to setup WCing in the Corsair than the HAF932...

I have a HAF922, and plan to sell it as soon as I move my build into the Corsair :)

Tell you what, email me at [email protected] and I'll hook you up with a replacement side panel when they come in. Shouldn't be too long now. That box was bashed to hell - never seen styrofoam busted that badly.

Wonder if the UPS driver even stopped the truck before he kicked it off.

And this is why I've started to buy a lot of Corsair stuff... Case, PSU, Memory, Memory cooler, just grabbed a USB 16GB Voyager flash drive... probably get an SSD when they come down in price a bit ;)

Also potentially getting a 400CX for my server... the RaidMax 630 isn't really up to par and can't tell if issues have been related to power or not, but might as well put something good in there... :D

Newegg has them for $30 AR... for the next hour or so...

And this is why I've started to buy a lot of Corsair stuff... Case, PSU, Memory, Memory cooler, just grabbed a USB 16GB Voyager flash drive...

Same here. You'd think I'm some sort of Corsair fanboy all-of-a-sudden. But when I looked for high-end highly-rated gear, a lot of Corsair's newest offerings made a compelling choice.

Wow. That box got hammered bad. I have a friend that used to work for UPS. He told me stories about how he'd walk in and see co-workers playing hockey with the packages.

I believe it.

Redbeard, if they're using the stiff, solid styrofoam to package these, I might suggest a more flexible and resilient type of foam be used - one with some spring or padding, rather than just something that will break apart and compromise protection from future mishandlings.

Seems that the heavier cases perhaps take more of a beating. My 840 came beat up pretty bad on the outside, but instead of broken styrofoam bits on the inside, the foam inserts were still intact, and the case had no bends, dings, or scrapes anywhere.

That's such a heavy case, and being steel rather than aluminum, the extra weight should warrant a little more protective shipping materials (and it's certainly justified by the price tag!). If these are going to get beat up bad in shipping you might want to look into that. Better to do it early on than suffer a slew of returns for bends and dings.

Redbeard

Not sure what kind of foam yall using, but whatever Norco uses for their server cases is solid.
Its a really heavy case and it came in foam and double boxed.
I have since moved it twice and that foam is still solid.

Back