Got Quake 4! First Impressions

U JERK ! lol I'm epic games all the way. Should have made this game coop......god damit! wasn't q1 and 2 coop?

Do you need to have Doom3 installed to run the Quake 4 expansion?

lol ...just kidding of course ..

Hopefully I got enough credit left on my card to order it from the egg ...yay

maybe .... :(

Nice...I just played 4 or 5 levels of the single player.. was pretty fun. Squads were useful for healing and some backup :p Multiplayer was fun... it wasn't as fast as Unreal 2k4.. but fun and looked way better..

Ran like butter at 1280x960 4xAA 16xAF High Quality for me. Dips intot he 30's but mostly 50-60 fps :p sweet

The game definitely gets better as you progress. I dunno but it feels more like Unreal 2 than a Quake game, though my memory of that game is fading.

To whoever said something about the mindless AI that only stands there and shoots back... welcome to Quake :) Also the Quake guys have never ever said a word, so you shouldn't have expected Kane to say anything. :D

HI,

I also have trouble with quake 4.

I start the game then it crashed directly to desktop after 2-3- sec. I dont even see the intro nothing. I tried it on both my machines. One on win xp pro the other on server 2003. On server 2003 I see a blue screen (not the windows BSOD) just a plain blue screen and it freezes there. I tried swaping my video cards swapped my x850xt pe with a x600 xt and it did the same problem. Both my machines are running a nforce 4 chipset and both have a x2 cpu in it. I also tried different ati drivers and hot fix beta for quake 4 and it didnt improve. Now I know the game works cause I played it at my friends house. He has a 7800 gtx with a nforce 4 chipset. I also played it with a 9800 pro agp on a another friends house.

So I am thinking its a pci-e ati nforce 4 compatibility problem or related to this.

LMK if you guys have a solution

Tomorrow I may just try a nvidia pci-e card to see if it works

Thanks

Mcklain

You guys convinced me I played through Level 1 and that is alot of action. The only thing it and doom 3 have in common is

A. The Engine
B. The Startup movie
C. Same controls

Its not as dark as Doom III and you can use the flashlight at all times. Thusfar its really good.

no, I said create the file, with notepad. It does not exist. Think of it like the old dos autoexec.bat it just executes a set of commands before it loads any other config. This way you can have a file that is universal, across all mods etc.

For the sake of repeating myself :> start > run > type notepad > click ok

paste all those commands in and make wahtever changes you need.

File > save as autoexec.cfg

place the file in your q4base folder

reserved it a month ago at Best Buy, ill meake it there hopefully this weekend to pick it up Im a Q3A whore so im hoping to enjoy the MP

I beat it a couple of hours ago. Very strange/lame ending... seems open ended, but, too open ended.

BigJavy said:
It doesn't work like it says in the instructions? While in a game, press esc, go to players, choose a player and click add to friends. I think that's what it says.

Jason

ok, that works

thanks

The rail gun feels nerfed in MP, it should 1 hit killer against an unarmored foe. The people who complained about it in Q3 need to learn how to rail dance :p

Bop said:
The rail gun feels nerfed in MP, it should 1 hit killer against an unarmored foe. The people who complained about it in Q3 need to learn how to rail dance :p

It also feels a lot narrower than in Q3. I get confused a lot with it, since the railgun looks like the rocket launcher to me (i just glance at the weapon color, and it's blood red) so I get really caught off guard when my rocket is a tiny blue beam.

Brent_Justice said:
I doubt the 6X AA option in-game or forced from control panel is doing anything in this game, you are probably running at 1280x1024 No AA, hence why it is so smooth.

I am playing it on an X850 XT-PE and it is barely playable at 1280x1024 2XAA in High Quality mode.

You would think I would know the difference between no FSAA and 6XFSAA. Now you have me doubting myself, I'll have to investigate, but the jaggies are not too bad :)

Maybe you need some newer drivers?

EDIT: ~ I was wrong and didn't notice FSAA was not actually on.

BBA said:
You would think I would know the difference between no FSAA and 6XFSAA. Now you have me doubting myself, I'll have to investigate, but the jaggies are not there, so unless they did some magic removal of jaggies...it's running fsaa.

I do know that Doom3 looked GREAT even at 640x480 on a GeForce3, so it's possible that it's just not on.

BBA said:
You would think I would know the difference between no FSAA and 6XFSAA. Now you have me doubting myself, I'll have to investigate, but the jaggies are not there, so unless they did some magic removal of jaggies...it's running fsaa.

i know it is simply not playable at over 1280x1024 2XAA/8XAF HQ on an x850-xt-pe

i do not see how 6XAA could be playable at that resolution, that is why i doubt it is actually enabled for you

Brent_Justice said:
i know it is simply not playable at over 1280x1024 2XAA/8XAF HQ on an x850-xt-pe

i do not see how 6XAA could be playable at that resolution, that is why i doubt it is actually enabled for you

Your correct, it must have been late for me not to notice the jaggies.

They did a good job of hiding them.

Q4 is only the slightest bit playable on GMA900. No specular and no HQ effects. Still not too bad looking on LQ:

(click for uncompressed)

I loving the game so far. I want to get single player out of the way before dedicating my life to MP. ;) I just hope the Q4 servers aren't dead like D3 servers.

robberbaron said:
I beat it a couple of hours ago. Very strange/lame ending... seems open ended, but, too open ended.

That sounds like I felt at the end of HL2. :(

Oh well, MP does kick ass, and thats what this game is really about. :)

So...I got the DVD version of Quake 4. I have a AMD 3500 with 2 gigs of RAM, and a BFG 7800GTX. Should I upgrade the processor or should I upgade to a SLI setup "dual BFG's"???

Sig line?

I'll give you a fucking sig line

"A life not worth risking is a life not worth living"

B co
2/75 Inf RRGMT
Ft. Lewis WA

paratrooper said:
So...I got the DVD version of Quake 4. I have a AMD 3500 with 2 gigs of RAM, and a BFG 7800GTX. Should I upgrade the processor or should I upgade to a SLI setup "dual BFG's"???

Sig line?

I'll give you a fucking sig line

"A life not worth risking is a life not worth living"

B co
2/75 Inf RRGMT
Ft. Lewis WA
I don't think you need an upgrade.

Am I missing something here way is this game perfectly payable at 1920x1200 2xAA 4xAF on High with shadows on ect.?

Only thing that I am finding weird that when using the flashlight I don't get the fancy shadows I get in Doom 3.

I snuck a quick 10 mins in before I planned on it and I did actually enjoy it. I didn't like Doom 3 at all, due to the repition and all that, but I'm liking the teamplay and I know I havn't played much, but the good thing is I actually plan on playing. I might finish the game before Civ 4 comes out, because I know I won't be finishin' anything after Civ 4 comes out.

My sig runs it smooth right now at 1280x1024 w/ 2x AA, I havn't tweaked anymore then that, quality is set to very high and shadows are off (cause the game is to fast pace to see shadows anyways, and it helps graphics load, from previous experience.)

What the hell is OpenAL? Apparently my sound card doesn't support it. =\

HDA Digital X-mystique 7.1... The DDL card. It won't let me put it in surround mode, so I guess I'm stuck with my headphones for now. =\

Mcklain said:
HI,

I also have trouble with quake 4.

I start the game then it crashed directly to desktop after 2-3- sec. I dont even see the intro nothing. I tried it on both my machines. One on win xp pro the other on server 2003. On server 2003 I see a blue screen (not the windows BSOD) just a plain blue screen and it freezes there. I tried swaping my video cards swapped my x850xt pe with a x600 xt and it did the same problem. Both my machines are running a nforce 4 chipset and both have a x2 cpu in it. I also tried different ati drivers and hot fix beta for quake 4 and it didnt improve. Now I know the game works cause I played it at my friends house. He has a 7800 gtx with a nforce 4 chipset. I also played it with a 9800 pro agp on a another friends house.

So I am thinking its a pci-e ati nforce 4 compatibility problem or related to this.

LMK if you guys have a solution

Tomorrow I may just try a nvidia pci-e card to see if it works

Thanks

Mcklain

Quit and turn off ATI Tool from the background/tray. The game will bluescreen with 3rd party videocard apps running. This was what I encountered.

Brent_Justice said:
I doubt the 6X AA option in-game or forced from control panel is doing anything in this game, you are probably running at 1280x1024 No AA, hence why it is so smooth.

I am playing it on an X850 XT-PE and it is barely playable at 1280x1024 2XAA in High Quality mode.

I'm getting 40-50 frames per second average with an overclocked X800 Pro on 1280x1024 2xAA 8xAF and High Quality. It's running great for me on Omega Drivers Cat 5.9
Only 2.33GHz Socket A on NF2 also. This game is totally smooth for me in SP. Dips below 20 sometimes if I go 4xAA but still playable.

Spare-Flair said:
Quit and turn off ATI Tool from the background/tray. The game will bluescreen with 3rd party videocard apps running. This was what I encountered.

I didnt have any 3 rd party oveclocking tools.

It was all due to my onboard sound card not having the latest open AL driver. I sold my ZS 2 weeks ago to get an x-fi. Damn onboard sound

Just played the game. Singleplayer is like a slight improvement on Doom 3. Enter area, kill monsters, find exit or person, repeat. The graphics are better than D3 and runs very smooth for me too. However the levels are so damn linear and repetitve that i almost fell asleep.

The multiplayer is slightly better but Quake 2 or 3 plays better and smoother. The darkness problem has improved a lot but it's still present and can be annoying at times. The maps are nothing special and rather small in general. Overall, I give it a 6.5/10. The gameplay just isn't there to make this game special.

defuseme2k said:
heh I think its funny how people don't read an entire thread before they post... If you go back a bit and look you'll see plenty of help on how to get it to run widescreen, at different resolutions/aspect ratio's and such.

oh please, get a life.

I wasnt about to sift through 8 pages just to find an answer to my simple question.

For those wondering about performance on a 6800 Ultra: it plays wonderfully in SP. Haven't had the chance to play MP yet. I'm running it in HQ at 1600 x 1200, no AA and it is super smooth. Just like DOOM3, I'd rather play in 16x12 w/ no AA than in 1280x1024 with AA. Just a preference I suppose. Game is fun and brings back that fast pace of the Quake series, whereas DOOM3, while fun, lacked that frentic action this brings. Arrgh, too many good games released all in a 3 week span: Q4, FEAR, CoD2, Soul Calibur III, Battlefront 2, and Castlevania: Curse of Darkness. Oh well, at least I'll have plenty of gaming goodness for the next few months! :D

ozziegn said:
oh please, get a life.

I wasnt about to sift through 8 pages just to find an answer to my simple question.

If you actually had a problem, then looking through 8 pages doesn't seem like a big deal to me anyway, and searching comes in handy as well. I didn't attack any one person by name, there were several people who posted questions about something that was answered before. The reason I made this post is the answer, for at least one person, was on the same page of their new post... I think that's ridiculous.

paratrooper said:
Should I upgrade the processor or should I upgade to a SLI setup "dual BFG's"???

Dual BFG's for sure, the difference between a 3500+ and fx55 at 1600x1200 is 1 fps, between single card and sli its 30 plus in some areas.

Back