Got Quake 4! First Impressions

Bop

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Oct 1, 2003
Messages
3,426
I've been playing it for the past hour and so far its decent. No, not great. I'm a diehard Quake fan and it looks like Raven screwed up in the single player. First off, the music. It is just some dramatic music. No heavy metal. WTF?! Heavy metal/ NIN HAS to be in Quake, I still remember the music from Quake 2's second level it was so kick ass.

Second, I am not digging this whole squad thing. They go off and do things without you and you have to walk past them to trigger an event. Quake is all about going in alone and killing everything, a squad is against everything Quake :( Also they try to have a whole war going on around you. This feels more like "Call of Duty in Space" than a Quake game. Also there is reloading, your not supposed to reload in Quake!!!

It really stands out that id did not make this game, it also has somewhat of a feel of SoF.

But then again, single player has never been a strongpoint of Quake.I feel that Raven just screwed up the style though and thats all that mattered to me :(

Well the good side is the multiplayer is great. Brings back memories of Quake 3, seeing as it is exactly like Q3 in every way :p I played a little on the id DM server and although my ping was crappy I still had some fun with the rail gun. When the mods roll out this should be kick ass.

So if you are thinking about buying Quake 4 buy it for the multiplayer if you are a Quake fan. If you are a call of duty fan buy it for the single player.
 
sorry to hear that. I was looking for more Quake 2, version 2, and less of Quake 3, version 2
 
strange, there wasnt reloading in Q4 at quakecon.. i reserved my copy, but the Gamestop store they wrote on my ticket at QC doesnt exist, and now im outta town so i cant pick up a copy till wednesday :-(

-Evil Juggalo
 
what can you do, if the dev's make an exact copy of q2 with better gfx, people will complain, if the dev's make some changes to the gameplay so things aren't exactly the same, people will complain.. the moral of the story is don't listen to anyone on the net, make your own decisions :p
 
too true techx. i sold my x800xl a few weeks ago so i can't play any games right now.

i'm waiting another month to see how well quake 4 runs on the different kinds of gfx cards so i can pick one up. i'm sticking with agp until sometime next year.

looking forward to playing some LMCTF(offhand grapple ctf) for quake 4. and i assure you, it will be made.
 
Bop said:
I've been playing it for the past hour and so far its decent. No, not great. I'm a diehard Quake fan and it looks like Raven screwed up in the single player. First off, the music. It is just some dramatic music. No heavy metal. WTF?! Heavy metal/ NIN HAS to be in Quake, I still remember the music from Quake 2's second level it was so kick ass.

Music volume 0%, winamp on.
:)
I do it for every game these days.
Good music that serves the game enviroment really doesn't seem to exist these days.


Second, I am not digging this whole squad thing. They go off and do things without you and you have to walk past them to trigger an event. Quake is all about going in alone and killing everything, a squad is against everything Quake :( Also they try to have a whole war going on around you. This feels more like "Call of Duty in Space" than a Quake game. Also there is reloading, your not supposed to reload in Quake!!!

How much of a role does the squad play in the average fire fight?
I'd hope the addition of some firepower on your side allowed them to beef up the strogg as well, or at the very least 'human' wave attacks are always pretty to look at.
But if it's more an escort mission for you, sounds like a deffinate minus.

I was a bit worried about the squad, Quake needs to be a run and gun action game, haven't seen much AI yet that good at that. Find cover and shoot, sure - but charge head long through a warehouse of bad guys and live to tell about it, no so much.
Hopefully they at least don't get in your way much.
 
got the game today but have no impression of it BECAUSE IT WON'T FRIGGIN START.

loaded it and hit play in the startup then it ctds on me everytime. gg taking it back for FEAR.
 
Squadmates can definitely hold their own, but sometimes it feels they are doing most of the work for you.

Personally I'd like the game more if there was an option/mod to get rid of squadmates. Its my opinion that I really just don't think the word teamwork and quake SP should be together:p Its all about one man stopping an entire army. Hmm maybe in Quake 5:Shub-niggurath's Return!

The significance of "the level" seems to be gone. Quake was just a series of "zones" youd expore without being too linear, just searching for a key or object and then leaving that zone and the next one would begin. Q4 just feels like your on rails going in one direction. Hard to explain but you Quake fans will understand.

I just got back from my class but right before I left I played a part that was just you and some other guy going in, maybe there will be some big solo parts up ahead.

I dunno, the more I play it the more I am liking it. It just doesn't feel like Quake. I also wish it was less claustrophobic.

As for the rail gun, it has the sound like Quake 2s' but doesn't have the massive recoil animation.(there is some kind of recoil "absorber" thingy on the gun). So its better than Q3s but still doesn't feel like it packs the wallop of Q2s.

Xerodeluxe, no reloading is a good thing, its Quake! :)
 
derrickperry said:
too true techx. i sold my x800xl a few weeks ago so i can't play any games right now.

i'm waiting another month to see how well quake 4 runs on the different kinds of gfx cards so i can pick one up. i'm sticking with agp until sometime next year.

looking forward to playing some LMCTF(offhand grapple ctf) for quake 4. and i assure you, it will be made.

"Once I think I'm out, they pull me back in" err or something. :D

Not questioning your reasoning as wacky. Just most would have there eye on a certain new one and wouldn't sell it until then and want to have the extra greens they needed to throw on top ready... that is if they intended on playing more PC games. I just thought it would be funny if Godfather joke were true. :)

Oh and on squads.... yeah that's dumb. They don't belong in most games even if it seems fitting until they get AI up. I wish in HL2 I could have blasted all those dumb fuckers to the next atmosphere. They did way more harm then good.
 
Having only played a few minutes in before I got back to FEAR, it seems like the squads arent life-death, at least at this point in the game they're not. Having a medic on hand is great, and having a buddy with you to cover-fire is pretty nice.

It's not Quake 2, but then again, what is, besides Quake 2? I'm anticipating playing more of it after I get done with the FEAR SP campaign.
 
hope it works lol funny thing is FEAR won't even install? wtf am I missing some update?
 
Well to start off the Singleplayer version so far is like Doom3 on steriods, The multiplayer is not very visual stimulating and it just seems to lack the fun of Quake 3 or even my Favorite Quake 2. Maybe it will grow on me but i was expecting more, Graphics maxxed at 1600X1200 4XAA SS, and Gamma AA on as well.
 
s_s256 said:
how about 1920x1200?
Nope, they have a widescreen option though... but it only makes your fov higher to make 1600x1200 stretched out look good.

I'm having a problem audio-wise. It won't let me set my speakers as Surround. I'm using the HDA X-Mystique with Optical out, and it won't do it. =\
 
I bought the game but i cant play it until i get back home tomorrow.. from what ive heard the teammates are gay and do all your work.. can you kill your squad?

-Evil Juggalo
 
Well I plan to buy FEAR today and I have no choice but to wait for Q4.
My birthday is Nov 17 and I was told I am getting it for my B-Day....
What BS is that!
Oh well at least I don't have to wait long.

SOMEONE POST PICS!!!!! :)
 
Quake 4 Multiplayer FRIGGIN OWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111

They've re-made some old maps as well, LOVE IT OMG, I've been playing now for 2 hours
 
ShuttleLuv said:
Brent - good to hear. CD or DVD version? Any problems installing?

I got the CD version, didn't pre-order for the DVD. Didn't have any problems installing.

So here is my analysis so far:

The singleplayer is easy, pretty straight forward, not much thought required, but such is Quake. I don't like the squad based nature. Quake is suppose to be all about you going it alone, not having to wait for team members, bah. But other then that the singleplayer is fun.

But what is most fun is Multiplayer. Hells yeah, it feels just like Quake. It's all there updated and pretty. They've even re-made some older Quake maps, and they re-did my favorite map from Quake 3 Arena. Hells yeah, it owns.

It is a graphics hog though. Running an X850 XT-PE in my primary machine and I found multiplayer unplayable at 1280x1024 2XAA/8XAF. I'm going to have to disable AA to play at 1280x1024. I may even have to drop to 1024x768 if I really want AA, we'll see, I'll have to experiment. Multiplayer is definitely more intensive than singleplayer on graphics. My CPU isn't the fastest either in my main machine, a P4 3.0c.

But the game rocks, I recommend it, it's all about the multiplayer.
 
Brent_Justice said:
Quake 4 Multiplayer FRIGGIN OWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111

They've re-made some old maps as well, LOVE IT OMG, I've been playing now for 2 hours

QFT


This is good stuff. What the quake series may lack in substance it definitely makes up for in fun. I was a little worried w/ some of the things i've been reading but I'm glad I spent the money. I've been playing for a couple hours straight too! I'm even ignoring the soaking wet carpet in my hallway from my upstairs neighbors toilet continuously running and overflowing last night.

The only thing I don't like is everyone spawning w/ an mg. The sound sof 16 of those being fired at once is kinda annoying. Ah well! It's a great time anyways.

Jason
 
Awesome impressions. Can't wait to get it. I'm running a GTX oc'ed and a Venice oc'ed so I should be able to push it further.
 
FlatLine84 said:
Are there bots for MP mode?



Bots are a staple of unreal, not quake :p


Anyways I had to go to like 5 different stores to buy it. Best Buy showed Q4 as being in stock @ the store I went to via their website. But when I got there they would not give me a copy as all they had were reserved for pre-orders. Finally ended up getting it at EB. yay, installing.
 
Back
Top