Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

w1retap you bloody legend i have been loking for an international shipping online store for a while now and this is it at also a great price, bye bye benq fp241w

thanks mate

has anybody had any problems with dead pixels with this screen, (asking because i will be an international customer (return shipping costs $$$))

Just called up Newegg and there sending me a replacement. Ofcourse there shipping fedex this time. Im glad atleast that they did not give me any troubles for returning for a new one.

So newegg will replace it? I want to buy from newegg, but there return policy has me iffy. Anybody have any experience on newegg's return policy with something like this? (Like something is wrong or goes wrong with it)

UPS arrived just now with my westinghouse 37w3 order from samsclub, which is just before I have an appointment by the way --- The box was crumpled on the bottom, then the driver turned the box onto the dolly so that I could see the other side and there was an almost 12" long gaping recatangle torn out of the top corner of the side of the box , with the whole side structure of the box crumpled. I had to refuse shipment. :(

Withs samsclub out of stock I may have to buy elsewhere, and either way wait awhile for it to get here :mad: I was so looking forward to having it today.

elvn said:
UPS arrived just now with my westinghouse 37w3 order from samsclub, which is just before I have an appointment by the way --- The box was crumpled on the bottom, then the driver turned the box onto the dolly so that I could see the other side and there was an almost 12" long gaping recatangle torn out of the top corner of the side of the box , with the whole side structure of the box crumpled. I had to refuse shipment. :(

Withs samsclub out of stock I may have to buy elsewhere, and either way wait awhile for it to get here :mad: I was so looking forward to having it today.

That sucks, couldn't you have accepted the shipment and if the tv was broken, returned it to your local sams club? When mine was shipped to me, a portion of the box was ripped but the lcd was in perfect condition. I had the delivery guys unpack it in my apartment and I made them wait until I turned it on and verified that it worked. If you want very good delivery service, try to get it from crutchfield.com though they may be out of stock.

Edit: It's in stock so I highly recommend you buy from them, that's where I got mine: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QZKdXnlaKNa/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=146350&I=647LVM37W3

PM me if you decide to order from Crutchfield. I have a $20 off referral code you can use when you input your order.

I really didn't want to mess with accepting a damaged package. I've had companies try to split hairs like lawyers before on returns and service of electronics so its just not worth playing around with to me.

It was a huge section of the box side missing where stuff could have easily fallen out or penetrated into the box (if the section wasn't caused by something penetrating already), and on top of that the bottom 'side' of the box was also bashed/crumpled badly.

I've read alot of reviews on here and newegg.com and other tech hardware sites where people are starting to refuse to use UPS for electronics since they have so many bad experiences with them.

don't use target for any kind of TV's, it's quite horrible when your TV is broken!

Bowhuntr11 said:
So newegg will replace it? I want to buy from newegg, but there return policy has me iffy. Anybody have any experience on newegg's return policy with something like this? (Like something is wrong or goes wrong with it)

They are replacing it but they are only replacing it because the ups driver left it on my porch and he took off before I even aswered the door. Newegg says that you must inspect the box for damage before accepting it from the delivery man. If the box is damaged you must refuse shippment to get your money back or to get a replacement.

I just got lucky because the ups guy took off right away without getting a signature. The Newegg policy blows, but if you bitch enough about it like I did I think theres ways around it. I ordered tons of things from newegg and never had a prob till now. I would still recomend them but just do not ship ups and remember to inspect the box.

Could anyone take pictures of this with CS 1.6 running? I know its an old crappy game but its all i play =/ haha

hrm, so it this screen jsut plug and play i guess? i mean its a tv not a monitor right, so there shouldnt be any drivers or anything? u should just be able to plug a dvi cable into it adn itll work no prob ya? im just curious, cuz ive heard of people havin crazy problems with this panel. thanks =)

I would consider crutchfield or another vendor that does freight or fedex shipping, however now I have to wait for Sams club to receive the unit back from UPS (5 to 7 *business* days once sent out), then Samsclub has to decide if they have a replacement in stock to ship me or refund my credit card. Crutchfield is 5days to deliver so realistically I'm looking at the 2nd or 3rd week of november before I get this monitor, assuming they are still in stock >.<

Its tempting to put yet another 37w3 on my credit card but if samsclub gives me crap and somehow auto-ships me a replacement I could end up holding two westys. Besides I don'tthink I keep my cc max that high anyway and need room on it for some recurring monthly charges. I will have to at least wait the 24 to 48 hrs it takes for samsclub's tech dept to get back to me about whether they are in stock or not -- and if they will confirm ahead of time that they will assuredly refund my credit card once they receive the monitor back from UPS, perhaps I could use my paypal account to order from some other vendor since its connected to my checking account rather than my credit card. That would still risk having two 37w3 show up at my door if samsclub sends a replacement out though, whether due to miscommunication/error or not, but at least I would have the westy from somewher like crutchfield in 5 days rather than waiting 3 weeks for the smoke to clear and the credit to be refunded from samsclub, and the new order to process and ship from and alt vendor

geteg said:
hrm, so it this screen jsut plug and play i guess? i mean its a tv not a monitor right, so there shouldnt be any drivers or anything? u should just be able to plug a dvi cable into it adn itll work no prob ya? im just curious, cuz ive heard of people havin crazy problems with this panel. thanks =)
with DVI, it is able to send a device id with it so the computer knows what resolutions it supports. In this case, its 1080p, or 1920x1080. Then again, it depends on your video card and drivers as well. Even if it doesn't recognize the right resolution when you plug it in, you can get 3rd party programs to set a custom resolution.

Update: Holy shit techonweb.com has fast shipping. I ordered this thing late Tuesday night (processed order wednesday), and its going to be here tomorrow! Fedex shipping, only $25. Thats one hell of a deal considering how huge the package is. Looks like I won't be going to Cedar Point tomorrow. I'll be waiting to sign for my new W3! :eek: :D :D

Kherozene said:
w1retap you bloody legend i have been loking for an international shipping online store for a while now and this is it at also a great price, bye bye benq fp241w

thanks mate

Where abouts are you thinking of shipping too? I'm currently thinking of importing to the UK. Works out £800 with shipping. Only problem is 14% Import Duty (not sure you can get round that) + 17.% VAT (which I can reclaim though my company) so all in all £914 -but a huge pain in the arse if anything ever goes wrong!

I'm certainly interested to see how you get on!

i am currently looking at technoweb.com they offer international shipping but it is $510 to australia for this screen. so it adds up to $1700 all together, and as you said i would be a big hassle if there were any problems such as dead pixels etc. They say that if there was something wrong i would have to pay for return shipping to them and then pay the shipping for the replacement to get sent out aswell, so that would equate to something like $1530 shipping ($2730 with screen) if there was something wrong with it! i emailed them and asked them if they could check the screen for any defects before shipping out, do you think that is possible or even sounds reasonable?

who are you importing from? i would really like to know of another option. thanks

btw richardg3 welcome to [H] forums! :)

Kherozene though my UPS damage incident sucks I wouldn't trade shoes with you .. that international shipping situation sounds like a bum deal. Too bad you don't have anyone in the states to test the unit out and ship it to you once it passes 'inspection'. It could still get destroyed on the way to you though. Thats a hell of a ride. :eek:

---------------------------------------------------------------

The update on my own situation is that I called samsclub again today and got confirmation that the westinghouse is indeed out of stock. I told the tech of my concerns regarding the refund or having something shipped when I wanted a refund and the tech assured me that I would get my credit card refunded once the tickets I had made yesterday go through.

Therefore on w1retap's suggestion I looked into techonweb.com which showed the 37w3 being nearly the same price (actually $46 cheaper considering I need my $40 samsclub membership refunded). I called to confirm and they do indeed use FEDEX as their carrier. Another plus was that they accept paypal orders (just not international ones .. srry again kherozene)... so for me having the samsclub order still sitting on my credit card for two or three weeks - the paypal allowed me to order from techonweb right now using bank account transfer while still getting some security/insurance from the paypal system similar to credit card purchases.

i know of somebody who lives in the US (works with my dad) but im pretty sure she wouldnt know how to test it :( ah well if you think of any other option ill be very glad to hear, thanks for the input

please post back on here and tell us how your dealings with technoweb go :)

Oh Snap! I'm at college right now, but I just checked my FedEx shipping number, and they tried to deliver my W3 but I wasn't home. It looks like they are a day ahead of schedule. I called my parents and told them to pick it up at the FedEx facility for me. ^_^ It should be there when I get home at 7pm. I'll post some updates later. :eek: :D :D

Im ordering the 42" version tonight or tomorrow. Display looks excellent.

2 concerns-

1. Contrast does seem poor-average... anyone care to comment? Is it so bad that watching Harry Potter or something dark is impossible or is it just something you learn to live with?

2. PS3 and Xbox 360 games that run native 720p will need to be scaled to 1080p. Wii will need to be scaled from 480p up too. I have heard concerns in the past about this causing at least some lag... although I haven't heard any complaints and possibly it's a bigger deal when scaling an interlaced signal up. Maybe the 360 and PS3 scalers are good enough to not make this a problem. Any comments here?

Black level is not very good on this display. A little greyer than most LCDs even, but you'll get used to it... you'll have to up the brightness a bit to really see any detail in the shadows.

w1retap Grats on your monitor looking fwd to pics. I ordered from techonweb this morning and they had it shipped out by midafternoon. You were right they are fast! I don't have a tracking number yet but I'll keep checking my mail.

------------------------------------------------------------------

wxkid23 I can't comment on this particular set since I don't have it yet. However I've found blacklevels on LCDs to be best when running content at a particular display's native resolution. DVDs are stretched so lose some of the saturation(including blacks/dark levels) and detail. Compare running a dvd per-pixel in a window. Standard dvd resolution is 720 x 480 pixels. My old LCD tv was 1280x720 pixels, and this westy 37w3 is a huge resolution at 1920x1080 pixels compared to standard dvd . You can use an upconverting dvd player to help vs the scaling/stretching from 720x480 up to your display's much larger resolution to 'fill in' the missing pixels sortof.. but it can only do so much -- especially on a backlit LCD display. If you were to watch harry potter, sin-city, underworld(s), LoTR, etc on a HDTV movie station , or eventually a good HD-DVD or Blu-Ray disc you would see a considerable improvement in blacklevels/detail over the small resolution of a standard DVD stretched out to fit your HD rez.

Having said all that LCD and DLP tech is inferior to CRT tech so you have some tradeoff in blacklevels and dark detail, especially with a 1000:1 contrast ratio monitor. However if the viewsonic 20.1" vx2025wm I am replacing is any indication of blacklevels at "only" 800:1 contrast ratio, I don't think you will be overly disappointed with the westy's blacks at 1000:1 after you tweak your settings.

I prefer running my PC to whichever monitor or tv via DVI or DVI->HDMI for a pure digital connection, and tweaking the video card driver and software dvd player settings to make the blacks optimal for whatever I happen to be watching. PowerDVD has custom profiles for example, so you could have one profile for very dark video material, and another for 3d or anime movies, etc. This monitor also has an independent backlight-level control which should give you more tweakability in turning it down instead of running the LCD like staring into a lightbulb as many LCDs run 'out of the box'. I've never had an LCD with independent backlight control, (or with 1080p rez for that matter) so I'm looking forward to tweaking the backlight control vs the other color, brightness, contrast, saturation, image sharpening, and gamma controls (in the monitor itself, the video card drivers, and custom color profiles in my dvd player software) -- to get the best pic I can.

One final note I almost forgot. Room lighting can have a dramatic effect on how your eyes interpret blacklevels. Some people buy a low-output lamp to put behind their monitor. In my case I have a lamp behind my corner desk's chamfered 'corner-gap'. The lamp is two sided, having a small 40w bulb on each side that can toggle between one side lit or the other, or both lit. This also works great for larger LCD and DLP tv's with various lamp setups. There are threads about this on www.avsforum.com

elvn said:
w1retap Grats on your monitor looking fwd to pics. I ordered from techonweb this morning and they had it shipped out by midafternoon. You were right they are fast! I don't have a tracking number yet but I'll keep checking my mail.

I just ordered one from techonweb also! I still haven't gotten a response from them regarding if it's returnable, but after eying this thing for so long I'm convinced it will rock. And hey, theres always eBay!

aw man i so badly want this screen, technoweb sent an email back saying that they can't check it for any defects as it is factory sealed when shipped

has anybody had any dead pixels with this screen?

Kherozene said:
aw man i so badly want this screen, technoweb sent an email back saying that they can't check it for any defects as it is factory sealed when shipped

has anybody had any dead pixels with this screen?

There's been a few cases of people having dead pixels over at the AVS forum but on the whole not many people have had any dead pixel issues. I think you should be alright as long as its delivered in one piece across the ocean.

so who thinks i should risk it? i'd rather nather not have any dead pixels but if the percentage of recieving one with dead pixels is quite low i think i would risk it

I just orderd one from samsclub.com about 2 weeks ago. Received it 4 days ago.. No dead pixels. This thing is flawless.

i have just worked out that this screen will cost me US$1900
is it worth it??

Westinghouse LVM-37w3 = $1553.00 ------------------------- US$1180
DHL Express shipping = $671.00 ------------------------------ US$510
GST (australian tax) 10% (only of LCD) = $155.00 ------- US$118
Total: $2380.00 ---------------------------------------------------------- US$1808
Duty Tax (5% of total)= AU$2500.00 --------------------------- US$1900

Is it worth it?

Or should i get the US$1127 Benq FP241W (from Australia)

wow thats a lot to ship it

but then again its an amazing screen and once you get pass that price (assuming you can't get it cheaper) then its worth it

For that kind of money I'd just take a trip to the U.S. and take the monitor back as carry on luggage :p

But seriously, after my ups messup I'd be wary of such incredible return shipping costs. Can't you get a 42" from a store if you had to? They seem to be avail in stores where the 37w3 is online order only for some reason.

Kherozene said:
i have just worked out that this screen will cost me US$1900
is it worth it??

Westinghouse LVM-37w3 = $1553.00 ------------------------- US$1180
DHL Express shipping = $671.00 ------------------------------ US$510
GST (australian tax) 10% (only of LCD) = $155.00 ------- US$118
Total: $2380.00 ---------------------------------------------------------- US$1808
Duty Tax (5% of total)= AU$2500.00 --------------------------- US$1900

Is it worth it?

Or should i get the US$1127 Benq FP241W (from Australia)

Depends on your budget, if you think $1900 is worthwhile then go for it. Personally I'd take it over the BenQ anyday.

im not thinking about budget atm i'll adjust my comp parts if need be all i need is guys with the monitor to let me know if this is worth it if i need to pay this much ($1970 actualy got taxing calculation wrong)

Sorry for the delay.. I got busy and couldn't take pix. Here's a breif few I took on my lunch hour from work. I will have better non-blurred pictures later and better resolution pix. This is just a teaser I guess.. haha.

But, to say the least about the thing.. SDFKJ: OMFG LOL FREAKING HUGELY AWESOME OH EM GEEEEE!11one!!!!! :D xinfity.

Zero dead pixels and it arrived super fast in one piece. That had to be the fastest shipping on something that large I've ever gotten.

I didn't get a chance to game on it yet, but I'll post pictures of F.E.A.R, Q3, Q4, HL2, BF2, BF 2142, Prey, etc later on.

Enjoy.. and buy one plz. Techonweb ftw!

This is going to be crazy at the next MPcon. LOL.

IMG_1223.jpg

^-- only complaint is the package slipped and the foam block cause the base to warp a little bit. I think it is starting to bend back now though. If it doesn't, I'll heat it with a blow dryer a little so it bends back in place. When its sitting on my desk, there's a .25 cm gap on the left side of the base that causes a slight wobble. I really don't care though, its sitting stationary.

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1227.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

^-- yard stick for comparison. The camera perspective and depth of field kinda ruins it though. Its much bigger in person. When I set it up there, it looks like my 46'' DLP in the living room, LOL. Oh, and my 7900gt recognized it perfect the second I plugged it in and let me set it to 1920x1080. I didn't even have to go under the TV menu for my graphics card. Picture quality is stunning and perfect. I couldn't ask for more.

Wow great pics thanks. :) You even included what alot of people never do when showing pictures of computer cases and screens -- a person as a gauge to give a sense of perspective. lol

btw I use that same wallpaper when I switch to span mode with dual monitors to span the background across both monitors.. its a very high resolution hubble telescope image.

Techonweb shipped my monitor out the same day, its due to arrive here the 24th which is pretty decent considering there is a weekend stuck in there. I'll keep tabs on it in case it gets here a day early somehow.

About your stand: be careful with heat since the screen or some other components could suffer. Heat transfers through objects (like the rest of your monitor), plus it rises in the air (twd your screen layers). Unless you disconnect the stand to work on it separately I would be wary of doing that with the hair dryer. There are some good wall and desk mounts you can buy too alternately which might work out best in the long run anyway. I might order one today actually so it gets here around the same time. There is one that has sortof a two-way elbow on it so that I'd be able to turn the monitor 90degrees either direction as well as moving fwd/back and tilt. I might move my corner desk so that the back of the desk is facing the room. That way I could turn the monitor twd the desk seat, or turn the monitor facing away from the desk sometimes so the room seating can see it. :)

Just ordered mine...So what is Westinghouse's warranty on this? I can't seem to find it.

Back