Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

rofl, jk. Looks great. I love watching HDDVD's on mine and comparing the image quality back and forth to DVD. Makes me wonder why newbs still say stuff like I imitated above.
I tend to agree with you--the difference is striking. However, you do know that with a damn good DVD upconverter there is very little difference between DVD and HD DVD when you watch from a distance.... right?

I tend to agree with you--the difference is striking. However, you do know that with a damn good DVD upconverter there is very little difference between DVD and HD DVD when you watch from a distance.... right?
I'd say this is true if your eyesight is not that great or if you are pretty far away. (all depends on the size of the tv as well). I can still tell a noticable difference between a HDDVD and regular DVD when I'm about 12 feet away from my 37'' Westy laying in bed watching it. But, a good way to test this out is to go to Circuit City or something where they have all the HDTV's setup playing Bluray and DVD's. Sometimes it is hard to tell, or you don't even notice if you are 20 to 50 feet or more away.

Hello All,

I just ordered a Westinghouse 37W3 monitor and would like to get "tried and true" advice on a standard def DVD player that works optimally with the 37W3 technologically (via HDMI?) and *most importantly* produces the best images. Questions:

1) Any success stories out there from videophiles?

2) Will upconversion to 1080p typically give better performance than 1080i?

I first thought about the Oppo 981HD, but it apparently has some macroblocking problems, though this may be more of an issue on DLP sets (?). Perhaps the Oppo 970 would be better, though it only does 1080i?

I'd love to hear your experiences!

Thank you,
-Hans.

Any video file will most likely look best in its native resolution. You can apply filters and upconversion all you want. It might gain you a little sharpness and overall image quality. IMO, its not worth the money to spend on upconversion equipment.

I'd say this is true if your eyesight is not that great or if you are pretty far away. (all depends on the size of the tv as well). I can still tell a noticable difference between a HDDVD and regular DVD when I'm about 12 feet away from my 37'' Westy laying in bed watching it. But, a good way to test this out is to go to Circuit City or something where they have all the HDTV's setup playing Bluray and DVD's. Sometimes it is hard to tell, or you don't even notice if you are 20 to 50 feet or more away.
I would say the advantages of 1080p start to diminish around 10-12 feet away. It's still noticeable, but not worth $200 (Xbox 360 add-on) in my opinion. Any closer than that and it's definitely worth it. It could very well be a matter of eyesight too, though, I agree.

Montreal, Canada, March 7th, 2007 – Matrox Graphics Inc., the leading manufacturer of graphics solutions for professionals, unveils the TripleHead2Go Digital Edition, the latest addition to the Matrox line of Graphics eXpansion Modules (GXM) featuring digital output support for a stretched desktop of up to 3840x1024 (triple 1280 x 1024)1 across three screens. The all-encompassing TripleHead2Go Digital Edition offers a truly digital-to-digital data path by connecting to the dual-link DVI output of a compatible notebook, desktop or workstation to three digital monitors—optimizing the connection between your system, graphics card and panel.

"Business professionals and gaming enthusiasts looking for a TripleHead2Go that offers a digital-to-digital experience are going to be as excited as we are about this product," says Caroline Injoyan, Business Development Manager, Matrox Graphics, Inc." The market asked us for a GXM with many configuration possibilities including support for both dual-link digital or analog input, and we delivered with the TripleHead2Go Digital Edition—it is the most versatile external multi-monitor upgrade ever!"

The new TripleHead2Go Digital Edition is designed to meet the growing needs of business professionals working in areas of Mechanical CAD, 3D Visualization, and Digital Content Creation & Animation. The Surround Design functionality—ability to work with three screens-provided by this small device enables users to examine multiple views of a design or project and simultaneously view important information that needs to be accessed quickly. These professionals will reap the benefits of multi-display computing on their notebooks or workstations while experiencing an increased level in productivity. In addition, users of the TripleHead2Go Digital Edition can operate in DualHead® mode with a combined resolution of 3840x1200 (dual 1920x1200, dependent on system support) by connecting their system to the dual-link digital input.

TripleHead2Go Digital Edition's support of an ultra-wide screen resolution of 3840x1024 will enable gaming enthusiasts with a digital video card—that supports dual-link output—to enjoy a totally immersive Surround Gaming experience. Surround Gaming involves expanding supported 3D games across three displays and provides for a greater in-game field of view. This added view fully engages the gaming enthusiasts peripheral vision and gives more of an advantage to game play as users can 'see more' of the game; outside of their normal view without having to pan from left to right. Matrox TripleHead2Go currently supports over 150 popular game titles across a wide variety of game genres.

Exclusive to TripleHead2Go Digital Edition is the new Monitor Bezel Management feature (Windows only), which provides a new realism to gaming by creating the effect of a continuous image to the gaming experience. This unique feature virtually hides part of the image behind the bezel of your monitor—which would otherwise appear misaligned due to the gap introduced by monitor bezels—enabling a superior gaming experience.

Graphics eXpansion Modules
Matrox Graphics eXpansion Modules (GXM) are small external boxes that are simple to setup—there is no need to open the computer to insert additional parts into it. The operating system detects the GXM as an ultra-widescreen monitor which is then split into two or more standard resolutions compatible with the attached displays, all the while harnessing the graphics hardware already present in the system for all 2D, 3D, and video acceleration.

System Compatibility
TripleHead2Go Digital Edition includes support for Windows Vista™, Windows® XP, Windows® 2000, Windows® XP x64bit operating systems and Mac® OS X v10.4, and is compatible with many professional and enthusiast class desktops and notebooks. For more information, please refer to the compatibility list posted on the Matrox website.

Price and Availability
Available in Q2 2007, TripleHead2Go Digital Edition has a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $329USD. This product will be available from authorized resellers worldwide or, in North America and Europe, directly from Matrox at http://shopmatrox.com. For more information, call Matrox Sales at 1-800-361-1408 (North America) or e-mail [email protected].

About Matrox Graphics Inc.
Matrox Graphics Inc. is the leading manufacturer of graphics solutions for professionals and has been delivering high-quality, innovative 2D/3D, and video graphics accelerators for more than 30 years. Creator of the multi-display phenomenon, Matrox combines its proven graphics chip designs, reliable software, and dependable card manufacturing expertise to produce products that are reputed worldwide for their superior image quality, practical ingenuity, and unwavering stability. Matrox Graphics designs and supports graphics solutions optimized for utility, empowering professionals to see more and do more. A privately held company headquartered in Montreal, Canada, Matrox has international offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, Italy, and Hong Kong. For more information, visit www.matrox.com/graphics.

Does this news article mean anything good for westy owners? Maybe one day, a triple westy setup (while every screen has 3d acceleration), or a dual westy setup at native res? THIS SOUNDS AWESOME.

Hi guys. Only recently became aware of this thread via AVSForum. I am up to page 40 so far and plan to read the entire thing.

I am in the process of putting together a parts list for a new PC. It is going to be a Quad-core with 4GB of fast RAM running RAID 5. I will be running a 8800GTX using XP Pro SP2 for now until the 8800 drivers are ironed out. I also have 2 apps that are not yet 100% Vista ready that I use everyday so obviously have to wait for them too.

I actually built a cardboard cutout that was the size of the Westy 37" screen and taped it over my current pro-grade 22" CRT. WOW! This will definitely be a massive upgrade. I also drew the outlines for a 30" and 24" monitor on it and made a side-by-side cutout that represented 2x24" monitors. I am totally sold on the 37" screen size BUT.....

My sitting distance will be between 4-5 feet. I am hugely anal about text clarity. It HAS to be VERY VERY clear at this distance running 1920x1080 for me to be happy. I know many of you have posted screen photos (thanks BTW), but is text in apps and web pages crystal clear at this distance or is it a bit fuzzy?

Also, I live in Denver CO and if anyone would be gracious enough to allow me to see their Westy in action I will be more than happy to provide a 6-pack of your favorite beverage as well as a large pizza to say thank you. (21 and over for adult beverages only, sorry)

I appreciate your help and will try to pound out the rest of this thread tonight.

Thanks!

Sounds like you've got quite the plan. :) The text on this monitor is the clearest I've seen in a very long time, so you need not worry. I sit at 3-4 feet and it's just perfect.

the REAL "Jetlag";1030762406 said:
Hi guys. Only recently became aware of this thread via AVSForum. I am up to page 40 so far and plan to read the entire thing.

I am in the process of putting together a parts list for a new PC. It is going to be a Quad-core with 4GB of fast RAM running RAID 5. I will be running a 8800GTX using XP Pro SP2 for now until the 8800 drivers are ironed out. I also have 2 apps that are not yet 100% Vista ready that I use everyday so obviously have to wait for them too.

I actually built a cardboard cutout that was the size of the Westy 37" screen and taped it over my current pro-grade 22" CRT. WOW! This will definitely be a massive upgrade. I also drew the outlines for a 30" and 24" monitor on it and made a side-by-side cutout that represented 2x24" monitors. I am totally sold on the 37" screen size BUT.....

My sitting distance will be between 4-5 feet. I am hugely anal about text clarity. It HAS to be VERY VERY clear at this distance running 1920x1080 for me to be happy. I know many of you have posted screen photos (thanks BTW), but is text in apps and web pages crystal clear at this distance or is it a bit fuzzy?

Also, I live in Denver CO and if anyone would be gracious enough to allow me to see their Westy in action I will be more than happy to provide a 6-pack of your favorite beverage as well as a large pizza to say thank you. (21 and over for adult beverages only, sorry)

I appreciate your help and will try to pound out the rest of this thread tonight.

Thanks!

I sit 3 feet away and it is tack sharp! You won't be disapointed.

Im thinking about getting one of these, but actually the 42". I know somewhere in this thread awhile ago I read that 37" is much better to use as a monitor due to the scaling of the resolution, I forget the terms that were used and I can't find the post... My question is, would I hate myself if i went with the 42 over the 37?

I would rather be happy with the display over gaining 5 inches as its primary use would be as a monitor for gaming, light coding and some graphic design.

I appriciate any advice anyone could give me.

the REAL "Jetlag";1030762406 said:
***SNIP***
***SNIP***
Thanks!

I sit 3.5' away, and the text is razor sharp. You will need to run at native resolution, and 1:1 mapping (no stretch). You will also need to make sure you don't have cleartype turned on.

Any video file will most likely look best in its native resolution. You can apply filters and upconversion all you want. It might gain you a little sharpness and overall image quality. IMO, its not worth the money to spend on upconversion equipment.

I agree about the native resolution comment. My take is that the de-interlacer for the 37w3 is not as good as what you can get in an upconverting dvd player. So if you want 1080P to look its best, better to do the upconverting elsewhere.

I can tell a difference when viewing the westy from 100' away through a set of opera glasses. :p
I don't deny the picture quality of bluray and HDDVD is superior to regular DVD. No doubt about it. It just doesn't meet my personal PITA/benefit/cost requirements at this point.

Correction I just put my face 6" from the screen and the text is still tack sharp. So in all honesty if you will be this monitor, you will be very disappointed and will immediately want to purchase another one. LOL :D

Correction I just put my face 6" from the screen and the text is still tack sharp. So in all honesty if you will be this monitor, you will be very disappointed and will immediately want to purchase another one. LOL :D

You westy owners are crazyyy :) Will definitely be getting one.

You westy owners are crazyyy :) Will definitely be getting one.

I freaking love my westy! I have mine wall mounted in my office and use as my main pc monitor. Looking to grab a 19" WS later for sole photo editing.

So guys, when can I expect my royalty checks from all of you for starting this thread and introducing you to the beautiful world of Westinghouse 37"? :D Been nearly a year now and I still love this display as much as the day I got it!

So guys, when can I expect my royalty checks from all of you for starting this thread and introducing you to the beautiful world of Westinghouse 37"? :D Been nearly a year now and I still love this display as much as the day I got it!

Dude you should write someone at westing house about that. I read every page on this thread and i know that you have gotten a ton of people to buy this display. I am great debt to you!

I got 2 Westys from ABT, i picked them up last weekend and i have no problem playing PS3 using HDMI whatsoever, i dont notice any handshaking? Is it like a jiggle i assume?

Was this a 37w3?

Could there possibly be a new fw from westinghouse fixing the handshaking? (even though they said it was a ps3 problem?)

Was this a 37w3?

Could there possibly be a new fw from westinghouse fixing the handshaking? (even though they said it was a ps3 problem?)

The Problem IS the PS3 NOT the 37W3. The 37W3 is not the only tv/display that the PS3 has problems with and Sony is aware of it.

Well finally scratched up the dough to get myself a Westy :) didnt want to just get monitor without upgrading machine as well going to a Core 2 Duo with 4 gigs 667 ram and a 8800 GTS.

Ordered it all from Mwave should have Friday or Monday.

I noticed the 8800 GTS is dual dvi, i think i read its not a problem for the westy ... someone please confirm.

[H]ump;1030769201 said:
Well finally scratched up the dough to get myself a Westy :) didnt want to just get monitor without upgrading machine as well going to a Core 2 Duo with 4 gigs 667 ram and a 8800 GTS.

Ordered it all from Mwave should have Friday or Monday.

I noticed the 8800 GTS is dual dvi, i think i read its not a problem for the westy ... someone please confirm.

The 8800 GTS is dual link DVI, so is my 7600GT, but you don't have to use it. It's only necessary for resolutions greater than 1920 x 1200.

[H]ump;1030769201 said:
Confirmed. I have it and I'm using a regular DVI-D at 1920x1080 with no problem. :) (btw, an E6600 + 8800GTS is plenty enough to run FEAR and Oblivion with everything maxed out at high framerates... Crysis, here I come! :D )

Anyone want to share some tips as to what things I can do to get rid of a stuck sub-pixel? This is the 3rd time I've called westinghouse and asked about it and they get all angry and think I'm trying to rma which I'm not (shit man 100 something to ship out again then back? I'd break it before I do that).

Any advice is cool as always.

I would love to get clarification that this puppy WILL in fact do 1:1 mapping. If you look at the specs they only list 1920 x 1080, 640 x 480, 800 x 600, and 1024 x 768 for PC. However, someone earlier in the thread said that it was indeed capable of 1:1. So does that mean that the display itself won't do 1:1 with a menu option (a la the FP241WZ or 2407 A04) but that you can force 1:1 mapping via your video drivers? I know nVidia has fixed this in their newest drivers but I want to make sure that it can do 1:1 for PC games as well as though the other inputs for XBOX, etc.

Thanks in advance. Sorry for bringing this up again but in the FP241WZ thread, someone said that they weren't sure the Westy did 1:1 and if it didn't that it would severely limit the available resolutions that the monitor could display. I just don't want to have any doubts or regrets, and also clear this up for anyone else that may be on the verge of purchasing one.

The Westy does not do 1:1 mapping for non-native resolutions.

It does not overscan its native resolution which is similar to saying it does 1:1 for its native resolution only.

All other resolutions are scaled to fit.

The Westy does not do 1:1 mapping for non-native resolutions.

It does not overscan its native resolution which is similar to saying it does 1:1 for its native resolution only.

All other resolutions are scaled to fit.

Right, I realize that the television itself does not perform the 1:1 mapping like the Dell 2407 and FP241WZ/VW do. I just wanted to know if it's capable of doing 1:1 via drivers, and it appears that it might be because I found this post on a previous page in this thread (haha, actually it was posted by you! :D ):

The Westy does not have a dot to dot mode (1:1)

You must use your video card driver to output 1:1, the westy has no such feature. It doesn't overscan its native resolution like some other HDTVs do (samsung) so you can say it does native res 1:1, but non-native is always displayed as filled.

If that's true, I'm elated. I don't really care about 1:1 for my console games--I just want to make sure I can do 1:1 for PC games in the event that I don't want to shell out thousands of dollars to keep a top graphics card (or a pair of graphics cards) in my PC in order to play the latest games with all the eye candy on. But at 1920x1200 you could run a low level of AA, or even turn AA off, and it should still look damn good.

My 8800GTS arrived today. It's an eVGA so I can always step up to the GTX (or the 8900 series if they are released within the step-up period!) :cool:

Oh, and it would be awesome if someone had a scan of that PC Gamer article featuring this TV since some of us probably can't get our hands on the mag.

Bueller?

"Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious."

(sorry, had to do it.. ;))

Right, I realize that the television itself does not perform the 1:1 mapping like the Dell 2407 and FP241WZ/VW do. I just wanted to know if it's capable of doing 1:1 via drivers, and it appears that it might be because I found this post on a previous page in this thread (haha, actually it was posted by you! :D ):

You must use your video card driver to output 1:1, the westy has no such feature. It doesn't overscan its native resolution like some other HDTVs do (samsung) so you can say it does native res 1:1, but non-native is always displayed as filled.

If that's true, I'm elated. I don't really care about 1:1 for my console games--I just want to make sure I can do 1:1 for PC games in the event that I don't want to shell out thousands of dollars to keep a top graphics card (or a pair of graphics cards) in my PC in order to play the latest games with all the eye candy on. But at 1920x1200 you could run a low level of AA, or even turn AA off, and it should still look damn good.

My 8800GTS arrived today. It's an eVGA so I can always step up to the GTX or 8900 series if they are released within the step-up period! :cool:

This seems as if it should be entirely dependent on the driver to just pad rest of the frame with black pixels to fill the native res. I haven't tried doing so but maybe someone can try it, I'm only home for a few minutes right now.

ok - I think I am finally going to get one of these beasts.. I treatened to do so round xmas time.. but just didn't seem to be a good fit for my desk setup then.. but I think it's going to kick so much ass for gaming I won't care about that after I fire it up and play a little LoTRo... I take it most peeps here just have to edit their game config files to force the res to 1920x1080? are there many problems with games doing this? I know Oblivion, FEAR, and Doom3 all play nice with setting the res in the config files, but what about other games.. any specific issues I should watch out for?

Well guys, I broke down and ordered one. I was previously in the market for a 24" (most likely the FP241WZ or 2407-HC) but the HC isn't out yet and it might have issues just like all of the other 24 inchers out now. And I simply could not justify paying $800 for the BenQ when I could get a massive 37" for only $250 more.

If anyone is interested, I ordered from PCNation for a couple of reasons. Not only is their price currently cheaper than Newegg's ($1051 w/FREE 3-day shipping!), they seem to be more willing to do something in the event that you get dead pixels. AFAIK, Newegg will do nothing if you have fewer than 8 :rolleyes: :mad:

I was going to order it online but I had a couple of questions and decided to call and speak to a rep. I'm glad I did! Not only did two separate reps during two different calls assure me that they'd try to help me out in the event that I wasn't satisfied, I was actually able to haggle them down a bit when it came time to purchase. I told them that I was interested in purchasing the 3-year in home warranty along with the TV, since the Westinghouse warranty duration is only 1 year, and asked if they could give me a discount if I purchased the warranty along with the display. I mentioned that getting a certain price on Dell products tends to depend on who you talk to over the phone, and the rep said that sometimes there is a bit of room to move on certain merchandise. He was upbeat and friendly during all this, and I was put on hold for a sec while he cleared this with his supervisor. Sure enough, when he came back on the line he said that they were unable to knock anything off of this particular model due to something or other but his supervisor did approve a discount on the in-home warranty! So I got the display and 4 years of warranty (1 year from Westing house and then 3 years in-home) for less than $1200 shipped. Sweet. :)

Thanks everyone for the information in this thread and for making it as huge as it is. It certainly helped in my decision to purchase this awesome product! It should be here early next week -- I'm pretty excited!!

ok - I think I am finally going to get one of these beasts.. I treatened to do so round xmas time.. but just didn't seem to be a good fit for my desk setup then.. but I think it's going to kick so much ass for gaming I won't care about that after I fire it up and play a little LoTRo... I take it most peeps here just have to edit their game config files to force the res to 1920x1080? are there many problems with games doing this? I know Oblivion, FEAR, and Doom3 all play nice with setting the res in the config files, but what about other games.. any specific issues I should watch out for?

I got the fear update and it let's me set it in game now to 1920 x 1080.

My 8800GTS arrived today. It's an eVGA so I can always step up to the GTX or 8900 series if they are released within the step-up period! :cool:

Dude I got a 8800 gts from eVGA and I freaking love it. Once finals are over I will be able to really have some fun with it. The only complaint was that I didn't buy another for SLI. But that is latter.

Well guys, I broke down and ordered one. I was previously in the market for a 24" (most likely the FP241WZ or 2407-HC) but the HC isn't out yet and it might have issues just like all of the other 24 inchers out now. And I simply could not justify paying $800 for the BenQ when I could get a massive 37" for only $250 more.

If anyone is interested, I ordered from PCNation for a couple of reasons. Not only is their price currently cheaper than Newegg's ($1051 w/FREE 3-day shipping!), they seem to be more willing to do something in the event that you get dead pixels. AFAIK, Newegg will do nothing if you have fewer than 8 :rolleyes: :mad:

I was going to order it online but I had a couple of questions and decided to call and speak to a rep. I'm glad I did! Not only did two separate reps during two different calls assure me that they'd try to help me out in the event that I wasn't satisfied, I was actually able to haggle them down a bit when it came time to purchase. I told them that I was interested in purchasing the 3-year in home warranty along with the TV, since the Westinghouse warranty duration is only 1 year, and asked if they could give me a discount if I purchased the warranty along with the display. I mentioned that getting a certain price on Dell products tends to depend on who you talk to over the phone, and the rep said that sometimes there is a bit of room to move on certain merchandise. He was upbeat and friendly during all this, and I was put on hold for a sec while he cleared this with his supervisor. Sure enough, when he came back on the line he said that they were unable to knock anything off of this particular model due to something or other but his supervisor did approve a discount on the in-home warranty! So I got the display and 4 years of warranty (1 year from Westing house and then 3 years in-home) for less than $1200 shipped. Sweet. :)

Thanks everyone for the information in this thread and for making it as huge as it is. It certainly helped in my decision to purchase this awesome product! It should be here early next week -- I'm pretty excited!!

I ordered mine from PC Nation last month and was really impressed with the overall service. Def recommend! Congratulations on the deal.

Just a quick question, how common are "dead' or "stuck" pixels with the Westy 37"?

The reason I ask, I'm hopefully getting one in April. Unfortunately, I live in Canada with my wife so my parents are going to bring this up for me when they visit next month. This makes returning the unit quite difficult of it does indeed have trouble.

I'm really excited about the prospect of owning one of these. I currently have a Dell 2007, so this will be quite an upgrade. :)

Just a quick question, how common are "dead' or "stuck" pixels with the Westy 37"?

The reason I ask, I'm hopefully getting one in April. Unfortunately, I live in Canada with my wife so my parents are going to bring this up for me when they visit next month. This makes returning the unit quite difficult of it does indeed have trouble.

I'm really excited about the prospect of owning one of these. I currently have a Dell 2007, so this will be quite an upgrade. :)

From what i can gather from this forum maybe average of 1 maybe 2 pixels per unit. This is just what i can gather. Mine had 0! So chances are pretty good for you.

Back