Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

Well I must say you are lucky to be getting a replacement considering it was your fault. You know the refresh rate and you went beyond that.

First you say this...

I am running mine at 70 right now been that way for a week now. Gonna change it back to 60 since there is no difference. I was just messing around with an app for my Mini.

Than this..., pot meet kettle?

Nothing is going to force a different refresh rate every now and again. The chances of that happening are slim to none. If I am wrong please provide me with data that says otherwise.

Slim, but not none. It happens, it's rare but there is always a chance, be it the scenario I explained, or a game unknowingly forcing a resolution/refresh rate, or as the example you stated, in normal day to day windows operations it's unlikely, but not impossible.

Quite frankly I was never convinced the monitor broke because of the refresh rate, it worked after it happened, however that was the only reason that came to mind, considering you say you've been running yours @ 70hz for a week, I'm even less convinced mine broke as a result of the forced refresh. I didn't tell them them it was hooked up to a computer because they would immediately assume the worst, if they examine the monitor and find it was my fault than so be it, but I didn't knowingly change the refresh rate like you did.

I won't go into details of how it's broken, but to me it seems more like a software glitch.

*smacks forehead*

err..I guess I answered my own questions..Google ftw!

Good DVI FAQ for n00bs like myself

I think that FAQ is off on a couple points from what I've read. First, I'm pretty sure the limit for single-link is 1920x1200@60hz. This is why many of the 24" panels are right on the edge of what single-link can do. Some video cards have trouble pushing that amount of data, as their DVI chips are not top quality.... so there are problems... especially with some of the older cards. They often have to play with the 'blanking' areas designed into the spec for overscan to reduce the overall amount of data they are sending. This is why you see people playing with very weird mod lines and stuff.

They are also a bit misleading on their description of cable quality. DVI-D is digital. While cable quality does matter, it isn't going to cause a direct correlation like analog would (say a VGA cable).

Basically, if the cable is low quality, it has problems sending the waveforms that make up the digital signal (the digital waveforms are analog signals... but they get encoded / decoded.) You can see more of what I'm talking about in this article:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1367922,00.asp

So, if the cable doesn't transmit the signal well enough for the other side to decode, it will cause problems. But, I don't think it would appear as a slightly degraded image, etc. It would be more likely to work or not work... or present some other weird problem like a line through the display, etc.

finalllllly my westy 37 comes tomorrow between 11am-1pm, i cannot wait, will post some pictures to add to the large number of them in this thread. Can anyone recommend a host for the pictures?

I don't have a Westinghouse W3. BUT, after hearing soo much good stuff about it and the fact that our own 10+ year TV died :( , we need a new TV. I have my sights on this one but where is the most reliable place to purchase this monster? And the best price for it? Sorry for going off-topic.

At the moment, this TV is not available at any reputable store/seller. At least, that's my opinion. Look it up on www.pricegrabber.com and see what vendors come up. Newegg may be an option (they should get them back in stock mid-January), but they don't offer returns so that's a no-no for me. But maybe you're not as picky as I am. Personally, I'm just getting the 32" from Best Buy while I wait for Crutchfield to get the 37" back in stock.

On a side note: the 37w3 isn't really a TV. It's a HD monitor, without a tuner. In order to watch TV on it you must connect it to an external tuner or a cable/hdtv box with a tuner.

First you say this...

Than this..., pot meet kettle?

Slim, but not none. It happens, it's rare but there is always a chance, be it the scenario I explained, or a game unknowingly forcing a resolution/refresh rate, or as the example you stated, in normal day to day windows operations it's unlikely, but not impossible.

Quite frankly I was never convinced the monitor broke because of the refresh rate, it worked after it happened, however that was the only reason that came to mind, considering you say you've been running yours @ 70hz for a week, I'm even less convinced mine broke as a result of the forced refresh. I didn't tell them them it was hooked up to a computer because they would immediately assume the worst, if they examine the monitor and find it was my fault than so be it, but I didn't knowingly change the refresh rate like you did.

I won't go into details of how it's broken, but to me it seems more like a software glitch.

I don't care if you run it higher than it is supposed to be at, my point was that it is unfair to ask for a replacement if you feel it was an error on your part.

If mine decided to break down and I knew it was because of an error I made. Then hey I am screwed. I don't think it is cool to screw someone else for your error.

Thats all I am saying. I doubt it was the refresh rate that did it as well considering I am running mine at 70 like I said. Unless it was something like 120 that yours jumped too.

At the moment, this TV is not available at any reputable store/seller. At least, that's my opinion. Look it up on www.pricegrabber.com and see what vendors come up. Newegg may be an option (they should get them back in stock mid-January), but they don't offer returns so that's a no-no for me. But maybe you're not as picky as I am. Personally, I'm just getting the 32" from Best Buy while I wait for Crutchfield to get the 37" back in stock.

On a side note: the 37w3 isn't really a TV. It's a HD monitor, without a tuner. In order to watch TV on it you must connect it to an external tuner or a cable/hdtv box with a tuner.
its kinda funny that of the umteen dozens of posts reguarding this monitor...ppl still need to be told thats exactly what is is...its a MONITOR...not a TV....thx for playing :)

I don't care if you run it higher than it is supposed to be at, my point was that it is unfair to ask for a replacement if you feel it was an error on your part.

If mine decided to break down and I knew it was because of an error I made. Then hey I am screwed. I don't think it is cool to screw someone else for your error.

Thats all I am saying. I doubt it was the refresh rate that did it as well considering I am running mine at 70 like I said. Unless it was something like 120 that yours jumped too.

i dont know that any monitor is able to be killed by user error inside of windows..even if you try to make it do 100000mhz the thing should just not take it.. seems kinda redicilous you could force something on it that would break it via windows. if so there should be internet worms breaking monitors left and right.

mwave, buydig, buy.com, newegg, and bhphotovideo are the stores im keeping an eye on to see if they go on sale.
oh and i think its discontinued at crutchfield so i dont think it will show back up?

Regarding availability, I believe several pages back..err maybe 20..Someone stated they heard from Westinghouse they were shipping on 1/10. I have the cash ready and am just waiting myself! I too would prefer to get from a dealer I can go to, but i'll settle for newegg if that's all there is!

I just wanted to add that 1) I got mine a few days back and it is fricking gorgeous, I have a 3007 Dell as well so I know what nice looks like, but mainly 2) I got mine from NewEgg and I was concerned about the no return policy from them on it. Rest assured, mine came without even a scratch on the box, banded to it's own little pallet in perfect condition. Oh and did I say it is GORGEOUS :D

I have ordered a 42" and a 37" from Newegg. All have been perfect. On a side note, has anyone been gaming at full screen and when the exit the game their screen goes black and the only way to get it back is to reboot? It does not happen if I run a game in window mode. I know the pc is still running because I can see things going on in my G15.

I have the 37" and I constantly minimize while playing a fullscreen game and never get that problem.

oh man. this friday i might have enough to buy this. i should save money though. what should i do?? :confused:

i dont know that any monitor is able to be killed by user error inside of windows..even if you try to make it do 100000mhz the thing should just not take it.. seems kinda redicilous you could force something on it that would break it via windows. if so there should be internet worms breaking monitors left and right.

Some CRT based monitors can be. The high-volt power supply that drives the electron gun can be pushed out of range and damage itself I think. This shouldn't be an issue on an LCD. Still... I'd rather not push my luck. LOL Just run at 1920x1080@60hz... not sure why anyone would want to run at anything else.

I have one coming this week, and will probably need a new desk to accommodate it.

To those who are using this monitor with a jerker: Do you feel that you're sitting far enough back? No eye strain?

the Egg is wonderful, but I just can't stand buying a TV if I can't return it. Is why I'm waiting for Crutchfield: I'm willing to spend a little more and have that option (not to mention no payment/interest until 2009). I, too, remember seeing a post some time ago saying that they're gonna get them back in stock on 1/10. Let's hope for the best...

used it for quite some time now and i must say: it's an awesome screen.

movies look rediculously real on it ,

the picture quality is just stunning;

but the only thing which is good and bad: the screen is HUGE !!!!!

huge !!! I had to turn my computer table to the length of it so i would be about 1,2 meters away from it (about 4 feet). that is just bearable :D

LOL Speedman! <3 yer posts m8!

Still digging being the only proud owner of a Westy in Belgium? !1! Rock on!

The monoprice links to the DVI-D shielded cables look good, gawd knows that the Monster M500 is probably over kill..and $150!

Just waiting for Crutchfield or the egg to have em...or..may consider joining Sam's club to get this if they get em in again too. ( although I'm not a big fan of supporting Walmart )

LOL Speedman! <3 yer posts m8!

Still digging being the only proud owner of a Westy in Belgium? !1! Rock on!

The monoprice links to the DVI-D shielded cables look good, gawd knows that the Monster M500 is probably over kill..and $150!

Just waiting for Crutchfield or the egg to have em...or..may consider joining Sam's club to get this if they get em in again too. ( although I'm not a big fan of supporting Walmart )
lol...i know the feeling....the mrs works for walmart...and i avoid it as much as possible

I have ordered a 42" and a 37" from Newegg. All have been perfect. On a side note, has anyone been gaming at full screen and when the exit the game their screen goes black and the only way to get it back is to reboot? It does not happen if I run a game in window mode. I know the pc is still running because I can see things going on in my G15.
i used to have that issue with my 7900gt with to high of an oc on the card...that was also on my 21" gateway though...havent had any issues on my westy

i am joining the family with an LVM-37W3 :)

normal_100_1145.JPG

i'll add better pics to the show your LCD setup thread once i clean up the area.

i originally bought from buy.com who informed me 6 days later that it was out of stock. took another 4-6 days to get it canceled.

ordered from newegg, shipped the next business day and i had it after about 5 business days. :) i love newegg. yes it was worth the extra price.

ahem...dual is just weak. Gimme 3x 37w3's, surround gaming for real, triple 8800gtx's on a kentsfield and 8gb of ram, with a 4t raid 0 stripe (fuck redundancy), and a tv tuner hooked up to an original atari 2600.

Was looking at getting one of these, BB has the W3 for 1199 with a free 5.1 Surround sound setup and free shipping, Is that a good deal?

Hi, can someone tell me if I am risking damage to my monitor?

In order to get my PC centered properly on DVI2, I unselected the ATI Catalyst option "Reduce DVI frequency on high-resolution displays". That would imply it is no longer reducing the refresh rate, right? Could this mean it is too high and possibly damage my LCD? Thanks.

Was looking at getting one of these, BB has the W3 for 1199 with a free 5.1 Surround sound setup and free shipping, Is that a good deal?

if this is for the LVM-37W3 and it is NOT an openbox. then yes it is a great deal. b/c when i asked the BB here he said 1400$.

TheBluePill

you saw a LVM-37W3 @BB for 1199? where?

this from online as we speak..

Westinghouse - 37" 1080p LCD HD Monitor
Model: LVM-37w3
SKU: 7749653
Our Price: $1,499.99

no deals listed =/

Make sure what you saw was a LVM-37W3 - the w2 is only 720p =/ and may have been @1199

err..maybe you meant something other than Best Buy?

I was thinking of building an HTPC but since all I really want is watch movies and TV, I think instead of building an HTPC I'll just buy an OPPO DV-981HD 1080p Up-Converting DVD Player and a nice surround sound speaker set together with this monitor. My dish network receiver is already a PVR so I don't really need an HTPC. Which brings me to my question:

From what I've read I think the answer is yes, but just to make sure:

Questions, please read:

Can I connect this monitor directly to the OPPO DV-981HD DVD Player by HDMI and to my Dish Network set-top box by S-Video without the need of a PC and use it as a TV? And will it look as good as an LCD HDTV? Thanks.

PS. How does this model compare to the 42 incher? All the specs are the same, but I can't find what's their pixel pitch. Since they have the same native resolution at difference sizes, is the pixel pitch on the 42" too big? Mwave has the 42 incher for just $200 more. I'm thinking about going with the 42" since it's just $200 more, but if the 37" looks better (smoother) cuz of the pixel pitch then I would prefer the 37".

Yes, I've ordered quite a few times from Mwave and they've never given me any problems. Great store IMO.

I know the 42" Westy is going for $999 @BB right now, according to the Sunday Flyer, though I hear it's not quite as good as the 37".

ahem...dual is just weak. Gimme 3x 37w3's, surround gaming for real, triple 8800gtx's on a kentsfield and 8gb of ram, with a 4t raid 0 stripe (fuck redundancy), and a tv tuner hooked up to an original atari 2600.
damn dude...thats one HUGE freaking crack pipe your smoking out of :D

I just blurted out what I envisioned to be an uber setup, for the most rediculous usage purpose. Just think, a $3k setup in screens alone, $1.2k for video cards, $1k for CPU, $1k for RAM, $1k for disks, etc, etc. All to play a 25 year old system through a sub $100 tv tuner through coax...I LOVE IT!

TheBluePill

you saw a LVM-37W3 @BB for 1199? where?

this from online as we speak..

Westinghouse - 37" 1080p LCD HD Monitor
Model: LVM-37w3
SKU: 7749653
Our Price: $1,499.99

no deals listed =/

Make sure what you saw was a LVM-37W3 - the w2 is only 720p =/ and may have been @1199

err..maybe you meant something other than Best Buy?

I Bookmarked the page and when I just went back it is now $1499.. :( Guess I missed my oportunity to snag it up cheap.

Well, here is my lucky tale/tail. This morning, around 7-ish Central Time, I lucked out somewhat amazingly. I was checking out Crutchfield's website and... well... the W3 showed up as in stock!! It said "Low in Stock," but at least it was there. I didn't think twice: I just ordered it. Sure enough, a minute later it showed as "Not in Stock." I believe I got the last one. Who knows for how long it had been there and how many they'd had.

After a quick checkout and a few minutes on the phone with their kind sales reps, I finalized the order. They shipped it six hours after I bought it and it will be here Monday at the latest. These guys are pros.

Total came to $1199 with free shipping and free White Glove delivery (in-home installation). I couldn't take advantage of the no payment till 2009 thing as I had to pay with an international credit card (I'm an exchange college student in the US)....... but it's still a freakin' good DEAL!! :D

So, yeah, I've joined the club. Hehehe. :D

Can you guys take some pics of the Wii on this screen with component cables? Especially games like Zelda.. I know it won't look that great but I want to see how bad it really is. I already have this monitor but dont have the Wii yet. Please post some pics if you have the wii plus component cable! Thanks.

Back